Trip to Belgium Oct 18th-23rd. Help !

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by WildAleRah, Oct 1, 2012.

1. WildAleRah

WildAleRah Aspirant (30) Oct 1, 2012

Hello !!!!

I have some questions for you !

My bf and i are planning a trip to Belgium oct 18th to 23rd. He's the beer fiend, i have a very little beer knowledge but getting slowly better and i'm really excited about this trip ! Anyway, our plan, so far, is to go to:

near brussels:
    -Cantillon on the 18th,
    -3 fonteinen, maybe oud beersel (does anyone know what oude opening hours are, i couldn't find anything online..?) and Hanssens on the 19th. Is the trip to both breweries (beersel-dworp)possible on the same day ? I mean we won't have a car, we'll catch trains and buses...
    -Girardin to buy bottles on sat 20th morning

near Brugge:
    -De Dolle-visit of the brewery on sunday 21st

and Lindemans on the 22nd... Can individuals visit the brewery ? I checked the website but it only mentions group...

Do you think that plan could work ?

He would also love to go to Fantome... I contacted Dany the brewer who told me that Soy was the very far end of the world haha but that we could catch a train to Hotton...
    but from there ? ...its like an hour walk :S

So i was wondering if anyone from BA located in Belgium that owns a car would be interested in a trip to Fantome brewery ? of course, we would split gas. :) maybe on sat 20th afternoon... just let me know maybe we can change a few things in our plan.

I believe my bf left a thread about some beer trading/meeting beer aficionados a few weeks ago before leaving the us but he posted it too late so he was already gone by the time people answered... Anyway if people wants to meet up somewhere in Brussels, in a pub for example and drink some beers with us, send me an email ! (same for those interested in checking the breweries i mentionned above)

About the sleeping situation, i believe there are some not too expensive hostels around Brussels and brugge but i was thinking of checking couchsurfing instead...
    Any BA member here that would also be a host member on couchsurfing ? if not any recommendations (hostels)?

It's his first trip in europe (im from france) so i'm trying to make our trip to Belgium as cool as possible !

Thanks for the help ! :)

2. Cantillon on the 18th is possible, 3 Fonteinen en Hanssens are possible on the 19th, Oud Beersel NOT (only open on Saturday 9AM - 2PM), also be aware that 3F, Hanssens & Oud-Beersel ONLY have a shop and don't do tours !

From Brussel Central you have to take the train to Halle (from Brussels Central station) and the bus line 153 (Beersel) or 154 (Dworp), allow at least 1 hour for the trip, somewhere in the middle (Huizingen) you can change from the 153 to the 154 :)

Girardin on the 20th is possible, you only have to take the train (direction Aalst - Geraardsbergen) and get off in Dilbeek, short walk app. 1 mile to Girardin (in total app. 1 hour trip)

De Dolle do a public tour @ 3PM on Sunday, good planning here :) !

Lindemans is possible on Monday, you have to reserve the tour before but if you're only 2, it will cost you 25€/pers (50€/tour and max. 30 pers.)

The one hour walk to Fantome from Hotton is about correct, I wouldn't mind taking you there (never been there), unfortunately I already have other plans for that weekend !

3. WildAleRah

WildAleRah Aspirant (30) Oct 1, 2012

Thanks so much for your help !!!!!

yeah not sure about Lindemans anymore, maybe we should keep the money and get some beers at Kulminator instead... :)

Quintessence (Cantillon) is on the 6th...ive just read about the lambic fermented in amphoras that will be poured that day...too bad we wont be there...do you know if there might be a slight chance that we could try it while visiting the brewery on the 18th ? i doubt it but thought i should ask...:D

Oh too bad about fantôme. I should have probably posted on here weeks ago !!!
    hum i guess the other option we have is to rent some bikes and ride from Hotton station to Soy ! :D could be a fun adventure !

If you want to meet us for a beer on the 14th evening (we'll be coming to Brussels from Amsterdam) let us know ! (i talk about that because i saw another thread about trading/drinking beers on the 14th, would be cool to meet other beer lovers !)

:)

4. I would definitely spend the 50€ in Kulminator !

You can always hope, but there are some many people going to Quintessence that it will probably be SOLD OUT on the day !

I guess the walk (or bike) to Fantome is a nice scenic route but not sure if you can rent bikes over there ...

Beermeetings are always nice and 14th evening should be possible, please let me know when you arrive (I don't live in Brussels area so I have to check train times as well :))

5. yinzer

yinzer Savant (395) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

To get to Beersel from Brussels during the week, I'd take the metro (lines 1 or 5) to Merode and then a train to Beersel.

6. Too bad you don't have a car, I also visited Tilquin 20 minute south of Brussels. They had an interesting lambic.