1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trip to Boston..need 1 bar

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Robtobfest, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Saturday I'm going with the 2 kids in the wife to Boston . We are staying in Revere and going ro the museum or science. I get to pick 1 spot. What you guys recommend for a great beer selection whats good food or I can bring to kids. Thanks!
  2. My vote would be Cambridge brewing co.
  3. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

cambridge brewing company. best beer in city, with a few barrel aged beers on tap at the moment (including my favorite beer, cerise cassee). food's good, and there's lots of space for sit-down with kids and such.
  4. I usually hit redbones when visiting the museum with the kids but cbc is a solid choice as well.
  5. Yea red bones is also a very solid choice
  6. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

It's technically in Alston (a neighborhood in Boston) but they have 112 taps....need I say more!

Sunset Grill & Tap
    130 Brighton Avenue, Allston, MA
    BostonBiosafety likes this.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

CBC since you are going to be in the relative area. Lord Hobo is right down the street, and there is a parking garage right near CBC so you don't have to deal with parking in Alston or Brighton. For that matter, I've seen kids at The Publick House before and parking isn't too bad as long as you don't mind walking a few minutes (I've been lucky there before with parking, depends on when you go).
    flexabull likes this.
  8. Very kid friendly as well
  9. Not really close to the science museum though
  10. I would pick Sunset Grill over Cambridge Brewing in a heart beat. Cambridge is just OK, their (fancy) food is overpriced and frankly not well executed. There may be 6-8 beers for you to try and you may not find one you like. I always feel like they are trying to be something they are not. I have been there 3 times and that is enough for me, I won't go back.

Sunset is the opposite, plenty of good simple but tasty food and a beer selection second to none. Yes, parking can be a pain...just take a taxi.
    rknrll likes this.
  11. As a fan of both Sunset and CBC, definitely do CBC from the museum of science. Good for kids, good brunch (and not too fancy, get the fish and chips) and the tap list is great right now. I was there yesterday and there are no less than 3 awesome barrel aged beers on right now as well as a great session beer in Misty Mountain Top.
  12. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Am i the only one whom is routinely underwhelmed by CBC's food? Definitely not kid friendly(the food). Sunset for me 100 out of 100 times.
    rknrll likes this.
  13. Pahn

for a counterpoint, sunset is the one boston beer bar i've been to where (more than once) waiters have forgotten about my table for over an hour. food's good; normal comfort food.

CBC beers are spectacular, and the service is much better as well. also, i'm skeptical of the cleanliness of the lines at sunset, but i think that problem is probably behind them.
    Fluke828 likes this.
  14. No, the food absolutely stinks at CBC. It has for years.
  15. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Don't listen to the rabble. CBC's food is more expensive, but you're more likely to get a decent meal there. Choose Sunset if you're looking for quantity and more menu choices, but it's average pub grub at best. CBC's tap list is exceptionally strong right now and the atmosphere is far better. If you want to check the tap list before you decide:

http://cambridgebrewing.com/beer/seasonal/
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  16. I wasn't comparing it to Sunset or saying it is more expensive...CBC's food is pretty bad. I got cold poutine once, bad fish and chips another time, and a pretty bad "flatbread' or pizza or whatever they were calling it at the time.

It's probably best as far as being in the area and having kids in tow...but the food is still shitty.
  17. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

I disagree. Ate there twice in the last week. Had the steak frites, veggie burger, and pumpkin ravioli. Enjoyed everything.
  18. I recommend magouns in Somerville. Nice beer list & scratch-made pub grub at honest prices. Zero hipsters & the accompanying nonsense either.

http://magounssaloon.com/

I've brought my fam there many times comfortably.
    tehzachatak likes this.
  19. The sunset has fantastic nachos.
  20. I went to CBC for the first time last weekend, and it underwhelmed me. The fries were very good, but my burger was terribly overcooked and the beers I tried weren't spectacular. They were good, but certainly not as great as I'd been lead to expect.

My vote would go to either Sunset or Redbones, depending on the type of food and atmosphere you're looking for. Either one should do nicely.
  21. I think Redbones is *great* for kids and *great* for beer, this is where you must go. Sunset is farther away and harder to park and it's really a college bar scene there that might be OK for kids during the day only. Lord Hobo is the best for beer, but not for kids at all. CBC is great for grabbing a beer or two after dinner (hint: take the kids to Emma's for pizza first!)
  22. Robtobfest

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help on this. I'll report back after the weekend. Still not sure where I'm going to end up But holy smokes that CBC beer list looks awesome!
    Pahn likes this.
  23. Personally, I avoid Sunset at all costs. In my experience (and granted I've been avoiding it for the past several years), the food, service and atmosphere have generally been lousy. Similarly, the beer list may be long, but it's not often all that impressive. I'd take 12-30 well-curated, well-maintained tap lines over 100+ any day. Some people love Sunset, but I can think of dozens of bars I'd rather spend time in in the Boston area. The CBC is a stone's throw from the Museum of Science, and is brews world-class beer that you can't get anywhere else. I also love the laid-back atmosphere, knowledgeable servers, and the food. I eat at the CBC pretty frequently, and almost always enjoy it and am often impressed. Admittedly, the burgers aren't their strong suit in my opinion, but I hardly call Sunset a culinary destination. My vote would be to head straight to the CBC from the museum and never look back.
    jbertsch, Pahn, pjl44 and 1 other person like this.
  24. Meadhall
    4 Cambridge Center
    Cambridge MA 02142

Just down the street from CBC. Great stuff on tap.
  25. I would definitely go to CBC. I'm not a fan of Meadhall's food (just underwhelming and overpriced for what you get), and their beer selection, though enormous, rarely has more than one or two write-home beers.

Lord Hobo is my favorite place in Cambridge, but it's not as great for kids as CBC.
    Fluke828 likes this.
  26. If you need lunch in Revere, check out Kelly's on Revere Beach for great roast beef sandwiches and fried seafood--a local institution.
  27. Well? What'd you think?
  28. Robtobfest

Going on sat. Think im going to TRY to convince the wofr to hit CBC and Sunset. Does CBC do flights? Or small pours like Sunset?
  29. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I don't think so, but you might be able to get someone to hook you up. They are pretty reasonable there.
  30. The fish and chips on the kids menu is the same plate as the adult menu for 1/3 the price at cbc. Cbc by a landslide to me I take my kids on some Sundays and we sit at the bar.
  31. No - for as great as their beer is, the food isn't quite up to par IMO. It really depends on the dish, but portion sizes are often small and quality is a bit inconsistent. It's certainly not terrible, and I have had some downright excellent dishes, but it does surprise me that more people don't openly talk about the food being underwhelming. When you hit the $20 mark on an entree, certain expectations are raised...

That said, their beer is so good and reasonably priced that it's hard to complain too much, which is why you probably don't hear it much.
    lucas1801 likes this.
  32. Yes, CBC does flights.
  33. Pahn

yes, they do flights. as of 5~ months ago it was an incredible value (i doubt they've changed it).
  34. $2 per 5 oz sample I believe. My wife and I just usually ask for samples of everything. Although last week our waitress said something about being limited to 3 samples at a time, so we had to keep ordering to get through everything :)
  35. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

As others here, I've experienced less-than-stellar food at CBC at times, but it's been generally good. And yes, it's more expensive than a generic pub, but we're not here for discount food and drink. I didn't find prices out of line with Boston as a whole.

Sunset is a huge list of taps, ranging from poor to very good. Just having 100 taps doesn't impress when a bunch are BMC. The food is fine, standard pub stuff, great for that if you're in the mood. They did try to sell me a 1oz or 2oz sample of DFH WWS for $6 one time, when a full pour was like $10, which baffled me.

Of the two, CBC is definitely less college-crowded-bar-with-pitchers-of-beer in atmosphere.

Personally I'd go hide out at Monk's Cell, although it's not ideal for the original request.
  36. not sure what beers you're referring to but BMC is definitely not what comes to mind when i think of sunset, even including goose island. (edit: beer list here - http://www.allstonsfinest.com/menus/sunsetgrill_beer_menu.pdf )

also, don't think it came up yet - deep ellum. probably in my top 2 or 3 favorite haunts in the city. as far as convenience though (proximity to the museum) i agree that meadhall, lord hobo, and CBC would be your best bets. of those i've taken my kid only to CBC, for what it's worth.
  37. Wife and I went to CBC on our last trip in Boston around lunch time. Had some great beers there and I know other people are saying their food sucked - but my pumpkin ravioli was ridiculously good. There were some families with kids there and the environment is pretty relaxed. I would feel comfortable bringing the whole family there for sure.
    FrankLloydMike and Pahn like this.
  38. Probably was...but I doubt they made them.
  39. Tavern at the End of the world is pretty kid friendly with above average food and a decent beer list.
  40. Robtobfest

Thanks for the recommendations! Ended up going to Picco which was unreal as far as the pizza, mac and cheese. And icream! Alao had a pint if Be Hoppy and hoy shit was it good! Wish i could get that in CT.This morning ended up going to CBC. The waitress recommended a cinnamon roll Which we got it was absolutely horrible. The people got breakfast around me looks really good. Put the beers on the other hand were unbelievable! Besides not having the 2 beers that I wanted to get, Apparently they both kicked on Thursday But are still listed online , I was very happy with the beer choices. Om was awesome! I also really like the hemispheres IPA. Also tried to misty mountain hop and the Kiwi Herman. All were awesome. Also picked up a growler of big man IPA. Gotta say though not sure why there's not more talk about be hoppy. That beer was freaking amazing. Thanks again for all the help guys! Cheers, Rob