Trip to Bridgeport, CT - help

Discussion in 'New England' started by keithmurray, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hey Guys,

Making a trip in the near future to Bridgeport, CT and was wondering if there were any good bottle shops in the area worth hitting up. Also if there were any good bars/pubs with good beer/good food any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

2. twizzard

twizzard Pooh-Bah (2,080) May 11, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Not sure about bottle shops but NEBCO is 15 miles from Bridgeport.

3. sandman3479

sandman3479 Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut

I'd suggest not staying in Bridgeport, if at all possible.

4. twizzard

twizzard Pooh-Bah (2,080) May 11, 2013 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

It's not as nice as Beirut.....

smutty33 and sandman3479 like this.
  5. MooltiPass

MooltiPass Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 Connecticut

Yeah, as a resident of Bridgeport I can confirm that there isn't a ton going on here. There are a few decent bars/pubs in the Black Rock area, but that's really about it. If you do end up in Bridgeport Walrus+Carpenter is a great BBQ joint. Reasonably priced and with a solid beer menu, definitely worth a stop. For bottle shops you're probably best off heading to Fairfield, Mo's and Harry's have respectable selections but probably won't blow your mind.

6. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Two Roads is a few miles north of B-Port and you won't need kevlar there. New Haven has a great bar and food scene and is about 30 minutes North.

7. codasnap52

codasnap52 Zealot (730) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Your headline made me chuckle a little bit. As someone who works in BPT, sometimes I feel the urge to need help when I'm here too.

In all seriousness. Head over to Black Rock on the western side of town. Walrus and Carpenter is a great stop for food and it won't disappoint with its draft offerings. If you go a mile or two further down the road Craft 260 (in Fairfield) also fits the bill for similar reasons. Both come highly recommended. If you can't drive your best bet downtown is Barnum Publick house. Its not great, but you can get a decent pint there. There are no good bottle shops in Bridgeport, but as others echoed you can find decent options in Fairfield.

Lamnic and Bizoneill like this.
  8. CTJman

CTJman Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Grab your gat and grab your 40s that's the way the bpt parties

9. lyoung8

lyoung8 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2011 New York
    Trader

This. And if you can drive, definitely try to get yourself up to New England Brewing Co, OEC, Black Hog, and you can swing by Amity Liquor near NEBco for the best selection of bottles.

10. Beericjb

Beericjb Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2012 Connecticut

I would definitely recommend Walrus + Carpenter for a meal. They have some of the best food in the area and really good beer selection. Craft 260 down the street also has really good beer selection ($3 Sea Hag Cans for Happy Hour!), but food is not as good as Walrus. Mo's and Harry's in Fairfield are the better bottle shops in the area. Definitely try some New England Brewing Co. while you are around.

11. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2012 Connecticut

Now now, plenty of good things have come out of BPT. ^^^^This guy. My brewery is in Haddam tho. Far away from the homeland.

CTJman likes this.
  12. keithmurray

Pooh-Bah Society

Hey, I see there is a Whole Foods in Fairfield, CT - is this worth checking out at all for a decent craft beer selection?

13. lyoung8

lyoung8 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2011 New York
    Trader

Unfortunately, no. They have nothing on the Whole Foods' in NYC, even considering the difference in distro. You won't find anything there that you can't find at a dedicated bottle shop.

keithmurray and sandman3479 like this.
  14. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

There is no help for you if you are going to Bridgeport!

15. pbrian

pbrian Pooh-Bah (2,056) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Obama even came up with an excuse not to go!

16. polishkaz

polishkaz Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Deactivated

This thread makes me lAugh. I would suggest Shandal's for awesome vegetarian Jamaican meals that look and taste like meat but are not. Chilliest vibe ever, not in the best neighborhood but worth risking life and limb for. Beer wise good luck.

CTJman and Pahn like this.
  17. keithmurray

Pooh-Bah Society

Hey guys, I travelled over to Moe's as well as Harry's and I was able to pick up some bottles there that I either can't find at home or the prices were so good that I had to indulge. Thanks again for the input.

Beericjb likes this.
  18. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

yeah, in CT you look for smaller places like M&R, amity wine and liquors, manchester wine and liquors, that sort of thing. in NYC you're in a bottle wasteland except the mysterious bright spot of whole foods.

going between the two often (as i do) is odd.

reminds me of kebra nagast in hartford. they were awesome.

polishkaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.