1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Trip to Louisville Ky

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Gunson, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Gunson

Gunson Aficionado (135) Michigan Jan 17, 2013

I'm going to be driving from Detroit to Louisville the first week of April, any good beers/stores to stop at along the way? What do any of you recommend?

2. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Advocate (585) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012

3. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I know your asking about stores, but if you have not had it I recommend picking this beer up if you can..I had it when I went to see the Tigers play the Reds and thought it was good..Totally different from normal BB aged beers imo

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/430/18698/?ba=bros

4. The Liquor Barn or Beverage Warehouse in Louisville, carry large inventories, Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is excellent, Schlafly also has a barrel aged barleywine that is outstanding.

5. Gunson

Gunson Aficionado (135) Michigan Jan 17, 2013

I am also asking about what beers in Oh, Indiana, and Ky, would be a good pickup.

6. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Advocate (585) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012

7. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Ok. Two places you MUST go. Louisville Beer Store (746 E Market St Louisville, KY), and Sergio's World Beers (1605 Story Ave Louisville, KY). They are incredible bottle shops and they have awesome stuff on tap at both. Sergio's is a little hard to find bc there is no signs outside, but look for the windows with a bunch of countries' flags on them.

You will not be let down.

Vav and dbrauneis like this.
  8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (960) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I completely agree with these suggestions - I hit both on my visit to Louisville last Memorial Day and was not disappointed.

9. My girlfriend and I live in the Charlotte, NC area. She's been driving to Louisville every couple of months for the past year, taking real estate appraisal classes. I recently joined her for a week and we hit the LBeer Store as well as Sergio's and both were great - Sergio's is an absolute must, you've never seen anything quite like it - I can promise you that.

She's in Louisville now and I'm looking around to see what's still out - or rare - in the area. She's going to pick some stuff up for me but I need to figure out what. The LBeer Store appears to still have Bourbon County, which I've only had once and it blew me away. Any suggestions on what else to snag if it's still out?

10. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (310) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Be sure to stop by Keg liquors in Clarksville also. Pretty decent bottle selection.

Docrock and CLCardinal84 like this.
  11. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (310) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Stop by the liqour barn on Shelbyville road. Alchemy hour by GLBC is in the back.

12. nfc2469

nfc2469 Aficionado (130) Michigan Jun 26, 2009

Liquor Barn . Huge selection growlers to go and carry 3 Floyd's .

13. you'll be on highway 65 - get off at the Columbus (IN) exit and take a look at "the cork" - on occasion good local selections. It's maybe 2 minutes off the highway.

14. Docrock

Docrock Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Second or Third the Sergio's suggestion...just look up Sergio's World Beers and look at the available list, typically 10-15 awesome beers on tap + another 20 really good beers...

Not to mention the 1400 or so other varieties available in bottle ( either to drink or take home)

Cash only though, there is an ATM inside..

15. Docrock

Docrock Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Also, on the way check out Anderson's in Maumee, Ohio if you're going by Toledo, its just off 275

16. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I went to both places over the holidays and was only mildly impressed. I got my best deals at Whole Foods. While in Louisville go to Against The Grain brewery which is at Louisville Slugger Field and also get some West Sixth IPA.

17. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (270) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

By all means stop at Belmont in Dayton. The only thing you will miss is the few beers available in KY but not OH. Best beer store in the state by far.