1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trip to St. Louis - Beers To Get There?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Jake_Ramrod, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Good friend is heading there this weekend. He's planning on picking up some beer for both of us. Anything local around there that is a must-buy? Boulevard? Four Hands? Urban Chestnut? Any really good beer stores? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Geueze Fond Tradition

;)
  3. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

There are quite a few local breweries there that put out good stuff. What styles of beers are you looking for?
  4. slawn34

slawn34 Aficionado (105) Ohio Jul 15, 2011

Just went to StL last month...

Breweries: Perennial & 4 Hands are a must...cannot go wrong with any of their fine brews! Urban Chestnut is also a very nice representation of classic European style brews. Schlafly is solid as well. Also it is about an hour West, but 2nd Shift is a great experience (weekends only).

Bottle shop: THE place to go is The Wine & Cheese Shop! 3 locations, but Clayton has the most selection. Paul is fantastic & knows the StL scene so well.

Enjoy!
    Jake_Ramrod and creepinjeeper like this.
  5. Randall's at I-44 and Jefferson St. is a great store and not far from downtown. Their staff is has a great knowledge of beers. I don't know what beers you can get in Kentucky, but I cannot get Odell's, Schlafly's, Tallgrass, 4 Hands and Mothers. Schlalfy's Brewery is also downtown. Don't know how long you're gonna be there, but it's well worth a visit. Cheers!
    Oh yeah, don't forget 2nd Shift.
  6. Personal favorites:

Perennial Abraxas
    Boulevard Tank 7 & 80 Acre
    Four Hands Pyrus
    Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat & 8-Bit Pale Ale

You've also got great options from Firestone Walker, Lagunitas, Odell and more. Go nuts.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Boulevard makes a brett saison that's maybe the best I've ever had.

Anything by Urban Chestnut is tasty. They've got some small batch oaked stuff that is killer.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  8. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Another big up for Urban Chestnut. One of the tastiest IPAs I've tried in the Mid West...
  9. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Odell.
  10. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

4 Hands War Hammer IIPA or anything else from there
    Anything from Perennial
    Urban Chestnut STLIPA
    Anything from Schlafly
    Civil Life also makes great brews

If you don't have time to get everywhere, just go to ITAP in Soulard and you can try everything there.
  11. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

12. Great suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. I'm new to BA and this is exactly why I joined. Several of those were on my radar. I've had Schnickelfritz and No PLace Like Home, so I'm at least aware of the quality those two guys put out. Just gonna have to break the bank and load up. I had no idea that you could get Firestone Walker in St. Louis. Any chance of getting Parabola or Abacus at this time? Wine and Cheese shop maybe? Sucks still around, too?
  13. DAFT... barrel aged Barleywine from Urban Chestnut.
  14. Abacus (Sucaba now) is probably long gone in the bigger stores. Parabola won't hit KC/STL until early summer. Sucks is hit or miss in KC as far as availability goes, so I imagine STL is the same. You may be able to find some limited Boulevard stuff around there, Rye-on-Rye is probably still on the shelf.
  15. ^^^ Damnit!! :)
  16. coachdicarlo

Sucks is all over STL right now. Hit up Wine & Cheese or Randall's and you will find some for sure

As for 4 Hands, yes...the NPLH and Home are both amazing beers. Should be able to find some Home at these stores still also
    Jake_Ramrod likes this.
  17. coachdicarlo

Haha. Just realized this was you. When are you coming?
    Jake_Ramrod likes this.
  18. coachdicarlo

Never mind. You're not. Your buddy is
    Jake_Ramrod likes this.
  19. I'm heading to St. Louis next weekend and relocating there for work in June. Good info!
  20. Stlhops.com
    Lethal04 likes this.
  21. Thx again for helping guys. This will really narrow it down. New beers await!
  22. I discovered that site recently. Will probably join and start posting there once I move.
    evilcatfish, Cbaum11 and jaminjohnson like this.
  23. Perennial is killing it with the weird/R&D stuff.

Go to the Tap Room (Schlafly). Good food, lots of good beer.

Also check out the Civil Life brewpub (that's the best term I know for how to describe it). Really good sessionable beers, and a really cool representation of a small English pub built into part of the big Quonset hut they're housed in.
    Lethal04, jimmyr78 and jaminjohnson like this.
  24. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

While I encourage you to visit the breweries, you can head to Bridge (downtown), iTap (3 Locations), Flying Saucer (downtown), or one of many other great beer bars to get 12, 15, or 20+ taps of local goodness. If you're around on a Thursday night, get down to Perennial for their one-off releases. It's a special treat.

Also, +1 on Civil Life. I feel like they don't get enough love because they focus on doing session beers very well, as opposed to hop bombs or double imperial barrel aged strangeness. The space is great, the proprietors are nice, well versed folks, and it may be one of my favorite hangout spots in town.
    Cbaum11 likes this.
  25. I was at four hands for the first time last weekend, great place and people. Love the war hammer imperial ipa, chocolate milk stout, divided sky rye ipa.
    jaminjohnson likes this.
  26. Well, my buddy wasn't able to find any Firestone which I was a bit bummed out about as I've been wanting to try the Abacus for a while now. But, here's what we got. How'd we do? Any hidden gems in there?

Sucks. Case
    Lips of Faith trans. Kriek. 750
    Nectar ales black xantus. 2*750
    Boulevard harvest dance. 750
    Boulevard grainstorm black rye ipa. 750
    Clown shoes blaecorn unidragon. 750
    Clown shoes vampire slayer. 2*750
    Perennial aria. 2*750
    4 hands single speed sessions. 2*750
    S.n. Narwhal. 1/2 case
    Boulevard tank 7. 1/2 case
    Lips of faith imperial coffee chocolate stout. 2*750. (not rated high but good for 5 bucks)
    Boulevard rye-on-rye. 2*750
    New Holland envious 2012. 750
  27. Should've got some of the other four hands offerings but not a bad haul
  28. Should of grabbed an abraxas. It's delicious! I'm pretty sure they have the newest batch at the brewery still. The latest batch was actually never distributed. It was kept in house only from what I've heard.
  29. They were out of most of the Four Hands at Randalls and Wineandcheese. Wanted the Abraxas, but not there. I tried. Next time. Hoping for some Firestone.
  30. WTF he got Clown Shoes in STL? Nice haul.
  31. Yeah, pretty stoked about that. Kind of pricey though. Apparently, I can't get Firestone in IL. Only in MO? Needed to go to another WineandCheese across town. Next time maybe.
  32. macher0

macher0 Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 24, 2012

I'm the guy who made the haul. I actually went to the randalls in Il, something heights. It was one my way since my destination was in Il not Mo. Wish I could have made it across the river, next time. Not a long trip.

I was really impressed by their selection and their beers guys were helpful.

I tried to get only 90 + ba beers. I'm a sour fan so I wanted the envious and lof kriek.

No abraxas. Bummer.

I am excited about the clown shoes. They had a couple more but I already had enough ipas.
    I did get a few more 4hands but they got drank. Impressive, espeacilly for $5/750.
    I loved the sucks. Maybe should have picked up two cases.

Next trip I want to hit brew houses.

I missed the la folie by a few weeks so if anyone in mo or Il would want a trade I have a few 3 floyds.
  33. Neekdom

Neekdom Aspirant (30) Missouri Mar 20, 2013

I would specifically look for the STLIPA. It is fantastic. They also specialize in a variety of German style beers. Definitely worth checking out. Get their meat and cheese plate too!
    inchrisin likes this.
  34. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Clown shoes is a definite score. While you didn't get Firestone Wookey Jack, Grainstorm is a quality substitute.

Next time, you definitely need to cross the river - Firestone is aplenty at Randalls @ Jefferson (close to IL) or Wine & Cheese Place @ Forsyth. While Perennial is one of the best breweries in STL, Aria, IMHO, is not amongst their best offerings. Don't judge them on this one. The Brett just isn't ramped up enough for my tastes - perhaps, if it hangs out in a cellar for some time, it will pick up the brett funk that I wanted. That said, Perennial is one of the best 3-4 breweries here.

Some other brews you may want to seek out, based on your haul: 2nd Shift Katy (sour); 4 Hands Imperial War Hammer; Schlafly AIPA or TIPA (depending on season). Not sure if you get Deschutes in KY, but you should seek out anything they make - they distribute widely in MO.
  35. Seago

Seago Aficionado (110) Illinois Dec 26, 2012

Belleville Ale Fest Announces First Round of Breweries...

4 Hands Brewing Co., Abita Brewing Company, Anchor Brewing, Anderson Valley Brewing Company, Arcadia Brewing Company, Bell's, Big Sky Brewing, Breckenridge Brewery, Charleville Microbrewery, Dark Horse Brewing Co., Founders Brewing Co., Lagunitas Brewing Company, Nectar Ales, North Coast Brewing Company, New Belgium Brewing, New Holland Brewing Company, Revolution Brewing, Rogue, Sam Adams, Schlafly, Shiner, Shmaltz Brewing Company, Ska Brewing Company, Smuttynose Brewing Company, Southern Tier Brewing Company, Stone Brewing Co., & Summit Brewing Co.

36. Neekdom

Where in STL did you get Clown Shoes? Never seen it distributed here.
  37. Across the river in fairview heights Illinois. Store called Randall's and another called plaza would be you best bets
  38. Neekdom

Randalls, huh? What else can you get there that isn't in W&CP? Dogfish? 3 Floyds?
  39. No southern Illinois doesn't get that stuff.
    Only things different is you can get dark horse, clown shoes and some regular central waters stuff. I think that's it. Fairview is easy from St. Louis its a straight shot on 64 east about 15 minutes
  40. MIngmire

MIngmire Disciple (55) Missouri Apr 2, 2013

Been meaning to hit up Randall's for awhile since the Old Halls Ferry location is roughly 10-15 minutes away from the house. Their main rep here in St. Louis is being a top supplier for Rouge.

Nice haul BTW.