1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Triple Rock Sour Fest

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by hansw, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hansw

hansw Aficionado (125) California Oct 15, 2006

If you ever wanted to know how not to organize a beer event, this was a great example. Ran out of beer at 4, good stuff was gone long before that without them announcing it. Complete chaos, in terms of where beers were poured. I think a monkey could have done a better job organizing. Does the term "exponential growth" mean anything to you over there?
  2. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Just as chaotic as last year, but I had no problem getting into both place and trying every beer that I wanted to try...including some Loons.
    CenCalMario likes this.
  3. I agree, the decision to serve beer only out of bottles at Triple Rock was the opposite of what they should have done. A 5 gallon keg goes a lot further than a case of bottles. In the past they had plenty of awesome kegs. Too bad they were completely divorced from reality of the current craft beer situation.

On the other side, it sounded like 5 pm is when they were planning on ending the event, so at least that worked out alright.
    hophead247 likes this.
  4. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

I got there at 10:45... was only about 40 people back which I thought was great. The line grew fast and was around the corner by 11 am.

Got to try everything that I wanted.... and then some! Crowded yeah, but all manageable in my opinion. I navigated freely and had a great time.

Really liked the Jupiter side and setting....what a great day, met lots of people, had tons of great sours as well.

Beers of the day for me: Stille Nacht, L'Amoureuse (wow!), Fantome Extra Sour, 16e, Unity, Le Petit Diablotin, Fou Foune is always tasty, Pink Boots.... that damn Oudest Trick was really sour, changed some as it warmed, some didn't like it, I was intrigued by what it could become with age.
  5. Initially went to Triple Rock but be it that I showed up around 1145 the line was long and it just stopped moving. headed down to Jupiter and walked right in and had a lot of great beer.
    Drakes Pink Boots was awesome,so was their Brettamber. Bisons Funky Valentine was great as well. Oudest was sooouuur and smelled like dry erase board markers. A lot of acetone in that beer. I hope age mellows that out because some of the flavors were there.
    Also tried Old Thunderpussy just because of the name alone.
    Headed back to Triple Rock, still crowded but got in some good beers. Had a sour from New Zealand that I never got the name of, Die Fontenien Oude Geuze was great, still undecided about Fantome Boo. I got a lot of pepper and tobacco in that beer. Not sure if my palate was done by that point so Id like to try it again.
    My wife tried the mead that was at Triple Rock, that stuff was like cough syrup. Blech.
  6. DefJukie1

DefJukie1 Zealot (95) California Aug 14, 2012

Here was the lineup in case anyone was interested (I am sure I've missed a few/mispelled some):
    Triple Rock
    Brouwerji De Dolle Brouwers- Still Nacht Special Reserva Vintage 2010
    Cantillon- Fou Foune, Cuvee St. Guillese, Lou Pepe Framboise, Mamouche
    De Struise Brouwers - Black Damnation II, Pannepot
    Hanssens - Oudbeitje, Oude Kriek
    Picobrouwerij Alvinne - Morpheus Wilde Undressed, Cuvee Freddy
    Anchorage Brewing - Bitter Monk
    Brasseries Des Franches-Montagnes xx Terrapin - Spike and Jeromes Collaboration
    Haandbryggeriet and Narke - Unionol
    Hanndbryggeriet - Akevitt Porter (Barrel Aged)
    Brasserie Fantome - Hiver, Saison, Boo!, Extra Sour
    Hidden Lengend Winery - Chokeberry Mead
    Brasserie Bourganel - Bourganel Biere aux Myrtilles
    Professor Fritz Briem - 1809, Grodziskie
    Brouwerij De Ranke - Cuvee De Ranke
    Mikkeller - Spontankoppi, Spontanwildstrawberry, Spontanfromboos, Spontankriek, Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (Calvados), Monks Brew barrel aged in red wine with raspberries, Funky E*Star (Chardonnay), Funky E*Star (Sauternes), It’s Alive
    Drie Fonteinen - Oude Geuze
    Brewij De Molen - Mooi & Meedogenloos, Rook & Vuur
    Birrificio Montegioco - Quarta Runa
    Brouwerij Smisje - ‘t Smisje Great Reserva, ‘t Smisje Calva Reserva
    Strubbe - Flemish Red Ale Grand Cru
    Ross-on-Wye - Rum Barrel Cider
    Borgo - L’Equilibrista
    Invercargill - Boysenbeery
    Brasserie Thiriez - Biere de Noel
    Ethienne Dupont - Cidre Bouche Brut
    Brasseries Des Franches-Montagnes - Abbaye de Saint Bon-Chien Vintage
    Sante Adairus - West Ashley

Jupiter
    Drake’s - Pink Boots Scholarship Sour, BrettAmber, Midnight Run
    Heretic - Miscreant
    Russian River - Temptation, Supplicaiton, Consecration, Sanctification
    Bison Brewing xx Gail Williams - My Funky Valentine
    High Water - Le Petit Diablotin
    Jolly Pumpkin - Oro de Calabaza, Bam Biere
    Speakeasy - Barrel Aged Scarface Imperial Stout
    Magnolia - Old Thunderpussy
    Bear Republic - Tartare, Cuvee de Bubba
    Ale Industries - Unity as in Edward
    Brouwerij West - Dog Ate my Homework
    Upright - Four, Seven
    Logsdon Farmhouse Ales - Seizoen, Seizoen Bretta
    Sierra Nevada - BA Bigfoot, Ovila Barrel Aged Quad
    Moonlight Brewing - Prison Wages, (Heading to) Points North Aged Lager
    Iron Springs - Chardonnay Apricot Rye
    Anderson Valley - Featherleggy Bullrusher BAD
    Almanac - Farmer’s Reserve #1 BAD, Farmer’s Reserve #2 BAD
    Black Diamond - Oudest Trick in the Book V2.0
  7. bbothen

bbothen Savant (330) California Sep 5, 2006

Eh, I spent the entire day at Jupiter & had a fine experience.

Walked right in at 12:00 or so, no line, made way to patio, paid, got my glass/tickets, no line, went to Russian River table, no line, was drinking a Supplication 5 minutes after entering the place. Enjoyed most everything I had & never encountered a line that was more than 2 people deep.

Heard from friends that were at Triple Rock that it was a bit of a cluster though.
  8. "Ran out of beer at 4 - good stuff was gone long before that"

Huh. A friend stayed until 4 to get the Black Damnation 2 (said it was worth it, but I didn't mind missing it - I was done, and kinda over Struise).
    Maybe if you're trying to tick off the max number of whales at an event that's scheduled for 11:30-5:00, you should get there closer to 11:30.

"Complete chaos, in terms of where beers were poured."

Sure, it makes it harder if you're focused on ticking particular beers, but this is not the right kind of fest if that's what you want. Try the Festival. (And if you just want to drown in Loons, bite the bullet and go to Belgium). I always like checking out each area and being surprised - I gotta admit, this was even better in past years when the Cantillon was in one spot, because so many people lined up there that it made it easy to go anywhere else.

"Does the term "exponential growth" mean anything to you over there?"

Does it mean anything to you? Do you expect a place the size of Triple Rock to grow exponentially to meet the exponential growth in popularity of sours? And for the supply of whales to grow exponentially? As rare beer ticking becomes a more and more popular hobby, it's likely to be a more and more frustrating one to pursue unless you can afford to throw a lot of money at it.
  9. "the decision to serve beer only out of bottles at Triple Rock was the opposite of what they should have done."

There were plenty of kegs at Jupiter - you should have gone there, if kegs were what you wanted.
  10. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

Did they fix whatever issue at Jupiter that was always causing a metallic off flavor in the beer?
    Arbitrator likes this.
  11. The pours I had seemed fine, but they were from a jockey box. Based on my experience the issue with Jupiter's regular taps is that the lines are dirty. I think a lot of people don't notice because 90%+ of the places in the area don't clean their lines often (ever?).
  12. I did, but they were almost exclusively Bay Area kegs. In past years they've have kegs of a number of San Diego, Belgian, European Microbrew, etc. at Tripe Rock.
  13. Zwans0n

Zwans0n Disciple (60) California Mar 9, 2012

This event was awesome and lining up a little early at Triple Rock was well worth it. Props to the organizers for putting on an excellent event with some great beers. Sure I wish there was a keg of Fou Foune but oh well.

People that showed up late seem really pissed but they only have their own bad forsight to blame... I went an hour or so early and got to try everything I wanted to (All the Cantillons, Stille Nacht, Fantome, etc). It's a sour beer fest in a somewhat small venue, what do you really expect?
    EBbrewpunx and bbothen like this.
  14. jethrodium

jethrodium Savant (250) California Mar 25, 2010

No, they haven't. They supposedly have a new tap system, but I was there last week and the beers still taste off.
  15. I just dont get why people get mad a beer fest. Its supposed to be fun.If you arent having fun youre doing it wrong.
    AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  16. t0rin0

t0rin0 Champion (820) California Dec 30, 2006

I dont agree that it was complete chaos but I was a bit frustrated too. One of the volunteers told me that they had about the same amount of beer as the year before but they had three times the attendees (I can believe that based on what I saw last year). In the past it's been nice to be able to stroll in after the crowds have gotten their uber hyped beer right at 1131 and drink what I want but this time that strategy backfired.

I still had a pretty good time brewery hopping after the fest. Got to check out some new (to me) places in the Mission. Southern Pacific, Bender's, Mateveza, and Southpaw.
  17. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

Or they're doing it wrong. I didn't go to this one, so I don't have any horses in the race. But I've certainly been to shitty beer festivals before. Unless it's free, you can definitely complain if it sucks.
  18. hansw

Ok, first off I was not looking to score the rarest stuff. I just showed up at around 2 trying o taste some sour beer.
    It was not immediately obvious, where the poured what, some stuff on list they could not find, they were out of way more than the board indicated etc. And I repeat myself they do not seem to comprehend the concept of virality and network effects. They need to move to a pre-ticketed event.
    I am not sure why people here claim that I am either a) mad) or some fanatic trying to score the equivalent of a 1790 Laffite Rothschild, I am just pointing out obvious flaw in the org of that event.
  19. Zwans0n

I came back just after 1:30 and still had 3-4 great pours so I can't really corroborate your experience.
  20. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

I was sadly disappointed in the sour fest! I showed up at 4:30 and told them I am a prominent BA member and prolific yelp reviewer and would like to drink straight from the Fou Foune bottle. They told me to get a life. How dare they!
  21. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

It would be pretty awesome if someone made a scene at a bar and gave them a fake BA username.
  22. Yeah,I guess you could put on a really bad beerfest and have a really bad time.
    Lets be honest,SF Beer Week is getting more and more popular by the year and this is the intended consequence. Our little beer week out here has grown into a behemoth. With the growth and acceptance of craft beer,especially here in the Bay Area,events like Sour Sunday are only going to get more and more crowded.
    Welcome to the craft beer scene, its popular, and even regular folks are getting involved.
  23. Hey buddy it's all good. I know some friends who went there and they were really pissed about how triple rock oversold the tickets. My friends aren't extreme tickers, but I am sure there were certain beers they wanted to try but ran out waaay too early.

Well they also mentioned the event was flooded with papi chulos and lacked good looking mamacitas and chiquitas...not sure if thats relevant.
  24. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

It's actually quite pathetic, and disrespectful to customers. Do they think that no one notices? Do they think that they do enough business that they shouldn't care what their beer tastes like?
  25. Just as awesome if they gave their real BA handle.
  26. I think that unclean lines are so common in the Bay Area that most people think beer on tap is supposed to taste that way.
    Arbitrator likes this.
  27. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Isn't this a universal thing though? I think BA bottleshares have more impressive lists than the Bistro's BA fest last year, and that thing used to have whales. LA is nowhere to be found this beer week, and Firestone is only doing a few events. Is the Bruery here at all? Alpine and Kern came, but for 2 events each. It really seems like the crowds are getting way larger and the beer quality is dropping significantly.

Toronado seems to be the sole exception to this, but the crowds are still getting bigger there too.
  28. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

To be fair, some other brewers have a bigger presence this year, with multiple events for Midnight Sun, Upright, and Green Flash among others, and they did bring some interesting beers.

I've skipped all Beer Week events so far though, after getting the flu late last week and still feeling miserable. Tried beer week events last year while very sick and it did not end well.
  29. Um, i can name a dozen LA breweries who are here for SF Beer week.
    as for the Bruery and firestone, I think they are just doling out there resources.
    it is a facet of only so many events they can do, and how many they are asked/begged to do
  30. stupac2

I meant Lost Abbey, not Los Angeles.

And I totally understand, but I wanted to point out that it isn't just Sour Sunday that seems to be getting worse. Maybe of these old, established events seem to be getting less and less awesome as time goes by, and with so many events now breweries are being stretched more thinly, leaving lots of other random events looking "worse" too.
  31. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

What is the fascination with whales? Is this a new fetish I am not up to speed on. Why not appreciate what SF Beer Week is offering, a more regionally focused appreciation of beer! it has been a great time to try brews from all these new nano/whatchamacall it-breweries and one off collaborations. Also, been nice to try Bourbon County, Alpine, Cantillon, Kern, and other bro-whales during the week too
  32. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

I don't think it's just a fascination with whales, I think stupac has a very valid point about breweries being stretched too thin, not just for SFBW, but special events in general (read the Oakquinox thread for a perfect example of this). For a lot of people, it's a non-issue, but if you have a cellar and/or have been doing this for many years, there's a real cost/benefit analysis to be done as to whether you want to deal with massive crowds to sample beers that you have fairly easy access to and/or have had repeatedly.

I don't expect craft beer to always be about whales, nor to tick new beers all the time, one of my favorite things is to walk down to Tornado (SD, not SF) and enjoy a pint of Pliny...however, fighting crowds for a 4oz pour of Cantillon Gueuze or Citra just doesn't get me excited. I don't think it's necessarily an insult to breweries, just a realization that there are a growing number of fests/events, a finite amount of rare beer, and the knowledge that if you're active in craft beer, there's a decreasing number of special beers you haven't yet had.
    Arbitrator, rgco and rrryanc like this.
  33. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

The other problem is that the events aren't interesting enough to offset the lack of whales. I don't need to drink the most limited beers all the time - but if I'm going to go to the hassle of crowds, transportation, leaving work early, drinking on a weeknight, etc, I want to get some return for my value besides standing in a super-crowded bar drinking stuff I could drink easily most every other night. Most of the events for SF beer week seem to be tap-takeovers - which aren't that exciting after a while. Very few beer dinners, pairings, etc - and the ones that exist are ridiculously expensive.
    hansw and Arbitrator like this.
  34. stupac2

Other people have said this, but I'll repeat it. If an event doesn't have something that's hard to get (or otherwise offer value) I'm not going to go. I go to the DIPA fest to get DIPAs that I don't get to try often. I skipped Sour Sunday because I was pretty sure that I'd have all the beers in my cellar (or could get them on draft at convenient times). I'm going to Sau and Brau because there's roast pig and lots of beer, even if it's normal beer.

But most events, like -tion night, Kern at GHS, etc, you go for the rare stuff. I wasn't necessarily lamenting that there aren't whales at the BA fest any more, but it's a pretty shocking sign of the decline in quality. I've heard that they had DDG and some Veritas there in past years, last year I didn't try a single beer that I'd even want to have again. Some of the stuff I had was "rare", in that it's hard to find, but little was quality. That's more the issue.

rrryanc's point about beer pairing dinners is a good one, I wish there were more because those are fun. As far as I've seen there are only a few around.
    rgco likes this.
  35. I had heard that they charged for listings on the site this year. If that's the case there might be events not listed that are worth while.
  36. hansw

Regarding the beer/food pairings I could not agree more. Where is Sean Paxton nowadays? Shout out to Mission Cheese though: their event on Monday was very enjoyable.
  37. hansw

And you expect me to do what now?

38. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

"Featured" event listings could be paid for, don't think the others had to be paid for though.
  39. Zwans0n

I don't expect you to do anything. All I was saying was that there was still plenty of good stuff when you showed up.
  40. danscott

danscott Savant (310) California Jul 15, 2006

Sacramento Beer Week's sour event has waaaaaaay more. Fewer whales, though. List posted in the thread.

Come on out!