1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Troegs at Corvallis Market of Choice. Huh?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Feb 24, 2012.

1. guajolote

guajolote Savant (400) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I've been to the Corvallis Market of Choice three times now, and they always have a few offerings from Troegs, which is not distributed in Oregon. The first time (around a year ago) I figured it was a fluke, but they've had it the other two times I've been back. I picked up a bomber of Troggenator last time I was there. Does anyone know how or why they're able to get Troegs? I've been to a MofC in Eugene as well, but didn't see any there.

Mysterious...
  2. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

No idea, but I've seen it at the Market of Choice in West Linn. I'm curious to see how old those bottles are, but if I saw a nugget nectar on the shelves, I would probably buy it regardless of age. I kind of miss living an hour away from Troegs...
    ggfunk and beertunes like this.
  3. Really? I've never seen it at the West Linn store.
  4. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

I've frequented the West Linn MofC for the past several years and I've never seen Troeg's there. Did they have it somewhere around the wine desk? Or just in the regular cooler shelf?
  5. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Regular shelf, and only just a few bottles.
  6. We get it in Eugene at the Market of Choice off Willamette.
  7. I've always wondered how they do this as well! They've had both Troegs and RJ Rockers every time I've been to the Corvallis store.
  8. guajolote

This place continues to be a beer enigma. I stopped in yesterday. Some of the notable items just chillin' on the shelves: Peche n' Brett (at least 6), HotD Michael (at least 12) & Mother of All Storms. There are a few more interesting ones that I can't recall at the moment. I'd been to Block 15 & Flat Tail beforehand -- I was a little fuzzy at that point.

I picked up a Grassroots/Tired Hands Wachu Saison (among other things). Neither brewery is distributed in Oregon. So weird. But I'm not complaining. That place is a wonderland. Some really nice glassware there too.
  9. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

RJ Rockers is listed in my book from Vertical Wine & Beer, which is based in McMinnville. I've never tried to order any, however.
  10. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

What was the price on the Wachu Saison? Have only had the beer on tap, but the time I had it, I thought it was pretty amazing. Hard to wrap my brain around the idea that there are bottles of it sitting on the shelf at a MofC in Corvalis.
  11. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Weird. Troegs only distributes to areas within a certain distance from the brewery in Hershey, which is limited to 8 states, with no plans for expansion. I know Half Time sells Troegs online, so maybe they're purchasing a couple cases and selling them with a larger markup? I'd be curious to know how fresh they are too.
  12. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

The Grassroots/Wachu was a Point Blank/ Shelton Bros beer.
  13. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

They are notorious for sending people to brewery-only releases and muling cases back to the store (I.e. hotd Michael), so who knows how they came across Troegs. Ask yourself this, if their stuff was legally available in Oregon, would they be the only stores to stock it?
  14. guajolote

$10.49/12oz. Spendy, but I've heard nothing but good things about Tired Hands. And it has a 95 BA rating. Worth a shot, I figured. Especially since I didn't buy any more Peche, a Michael or a MoAS.

Surely not. I have no idea what the laws are, so I'm sure they're treading in some grey area at the very least. However, I won't NOT buy it if it's something I want and it's the only place I can get it. I didn't see any Troegs this visit, FWIW.