1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Troegs Nugget Nectar 2013

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Whimpers, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

That's funny as the one by me is where I found & bought the lone 4 pack I found. I suppose I should hunt around for left overs...though the Conway's is now out in force, which is always a purchase for me.

2. The Giant Eagle in Shaler is where I saw it. You may want to call them 412 961 0614.

3. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Thanks man, but honestly I saw Shaler & 412 and thought where the hell is my map book. I rarely if ever "roadie" for beer...Jackie O's notwithstanding.

4. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

It is a photo of the doors to a great bar in Bruges, Belgium called Poatersgat. Spent some quality time there when I visited over the summer.

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  5. Picked up a sixer at Wegmans in Fredericksburg on Friday - this one's definitely moved to near the top of my favorites list! I'm not sure what's better; the aroma, the taste or the finish. Simply amazing beer! Hats off to the brothers.

6. It looks fascinating, but I guess it is a little far for me to make a day trip. Maybe someday. Thanks.

7. I would strongly advise against doing this. I think NN starts to fall off around 2 months, so by September I don't think this will be drinking too well at all.

waddellc2 likes this.
  8. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (295) New York Dec 23, 2010

9. Picked up two six packs of NN at my local shop last Friday before the blizzard hit here in MA! Found about 10 cases sitting in the back hallway near the walk-in cooler. Had to open up a case box to get my prize! When cashier saw $26 for 12 beers she said "it better me good" and I ensured her that it was not good, it was great!

10. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Tried some last night. Girlfriend and I both agreed this year's batch was mediocre for the expectations and price.

SenorHops likes this.
  11. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

There's still a good amount here in the Newport News/Va Beach area. I think I'll pick up one more 6'er and milk it for a month. It's good stuff, but I'd rather drink Sucks for $3 cheaper.

12. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Two years in a row that I'm terribly disappointed with this beer. Earthy, herbal and yeasty. Really stunned by the majority positive response. The power of suggestion? Does the fact that it's a seasonal have anything to do with it? A couple of my craft drinking friends felt the same way. Don't get the hype at all.

dar482 likes this.
  13. SenorHops

Really liked it 3 years ago, but wasn't impressed last year or this year.

dar482 likes this.
  14. The Mid-Atlantic board has numerous postings of supposedly off batches again this year (along with the bottling dates)- maybe you got one of them. IIRC-Jan 8th and 17th were specifically called out.

Plenty of people saying it's a return to form, too. The one's I have are better than last year but not as good as two years ago.

15. SenorHops

Thanks for the response and info. Unfortunately the date is mostly rubbed off on the 2 I have left. I also had a yeast problem with Perpetual IPA from Troegs last year. They did resolve the issue with me, pulled the batch off shelves and were great about it. Too bad. The lack of consistency in their batches have turned me off.

16. I gotta compare the NN to Sucks. From memory, NN was ok compared to 2013 Sucks.

BeerGuyEsquire likes this.
  17. 2012 was awesome.

18. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Great release! Had my 2nd offering in past 2 years...still lives up to the hype!
    Last year bought 1st case. This year backed off and got a 6 pack.

19. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Just cracked my second bottle from this year. As good as ever, love this beer.

20. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I had some about a week-ish ago...It was pretty fresh. I don't want to walk down to my basement to my beer fridge to find the date on it. I thought the nose was awesome, but the flavor didn't carry over like the nose lead onto. It was OK, but I honestly was disappointed in the hype it had, compared to what it actually was.

21. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I got some in a trade and will be drinking it tomorrow. I expect greatness.

22. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

I personally loved it. I haven't had that many imperial ambers, but would put it next to an imperial Red. That being said I like it better than "This ale goes to 11"

23. Went through two cases this year. All good. $43 a case I can't complain. It was good. Real good. Sucks was good but I was tired of it when I got to the end of the case. I went back for more NN. Case closed

Enjoy

winkingstarfish and Charlie_Hoss like this.
  24. why does everyone compare this to Sucks? Two totally different profiles

FlakyBiscuit and dar482 like this.
  25. I think the comparison to sucks has to do with A. Similarity of style (ish..) B. General widespread, off the shelf availability and C. The fact that they are both limited release. (I know....sucks is gonna be year round)

Really to me, Nugget Nectar was great this year and I'll probably hunt down a few more before they dissappear!

26. Probably becasue they are both seasonal (until Sucks 32 oz are released), hop forward beers that are released around the same time of year.

27. schmelby

schmelby Aficionado (130) Virginia May 13, 2012

I loved 2012 NN and this years might be slighly better. I just finished my first case, bottled on 1/24. Now I'll start drinking on my case bottled 2/4. The guy at my bottle shop told me Troegs made 50% more NN this year but still only shipped to the same bordering states of PA. I'm glad they did that, I've been drinking on it for a month now and hope to drink on it until at least April. My shop has gotten in bi-weekly shipments for over a month now and they expect at least one more next week. Can't wait to buy more.

28. mgoose

mgoose Zealot (90) New Jersey Jan 3, 2012

Had this years and last years. I really like NN, along with most of Troeg's lineup. However, I don't quite get the hype about it.

29. After following the NN isn't as good as last years' posts for the last 2 years I'm on the fence as to why so many [including myself] think that before the move to Hershey, NN was better. I had one last night, bottled 1/30 so it's plenty fresh and I began to wonder. Is the perception of this beer due to palate wear and tear from all of the IPAs that I've been drinking?

30. Got 2 bottles in with my latest trade. Tried one the other night. Definitely tasty, expected alot more hop wollup.

dar482 likes this.
  31. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Me too, maybe my batch was off, but it didn't "pop" like I remembered it and didn't have much hop forwardness. It instead has a bigger malt and bitter back.