1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trying to find some of the better beers in Chicago

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by TheCrowsNest, Jan 12, 2013.

1. California here. My sister just moved to Chi-town and she wants to send a beer package back home full of goodies. Only problem is, she doesn't know beer. Other than BMC, I have no idea what's distributed up there. Can anyone weigh in on some quality stuff that's found regularly on shelves up there?

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Walegreens.

lurchingbeast likes this.
  3. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Pipeworks

jplopez21 likes this.
  4. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Where approx in Chicago? Tell me your top 5 session beers. Tell me top 3 one bottle only beers you really like.( No Whales, please) We got lots o good beer here!!! Could probably just gets cans to make shipping easier.

mecummins likes this.
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Daisy Cutter

6. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Three Floyds and Pipeworks for bombers, Half acre and Revolution for cans, and BCBS 4 packs.

7. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Just have her go to the closest Binnys, tell her the styles you like and they will help her get you some great locals. If shes in Chicago you can get most everything there which will be easy on her. Stuff here you cant get there thats great -- Bells, Founders, Goose Island, Pipeworks, Half Acre, revolution and three Floyds. Also Central Waters BB stuff right now.

To see where everything is check out the chicago beer map.
    http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=chicago

8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Revolution has done some great beers and are pretty easy to find. Eugene Porter is one of my favorites this winter, but their Coup D'Etat is a great year round saison. If you prefer IPAs, have her get you some Daisy Cutter from Half Acer. A lot of places do a make your own 6 pack and sometimes have a decent selection of local beer. Have her go to Binnys or Cardinal liquors. In my experience, they have a better selection to choose from here.

9. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

I highly recommend Revolution Anti-hero, love that stuff.

Kubrickx and jhillwastaken like this.