1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Trying to land locals

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by johncosta60, Jan 16, 2013.

1. So, lately I've been trying to trade for a few locals from San Diego, mainly something from Ballast Point & Hess. I have had no success as to even getting a few hits on it. Any reason as to why landing regular stuff can be so hard sometimes?
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It would help to know where you are from/what locals you are offering in trade to diagnose this problem.

EDIT: I see you are going for growlers (could be a problem as many don't like trading growlers).
  3. Makes sense then, thanks.
  4. Your profile is thin, it's not really clear precisely what you are offering (Kane doesn't have that much of a name, particularly out west), growlers are a PITA, it's mid-winter (non-ideal shipping, especially for growlers cross country).

Also just a head's up, but NY/NJ get Ballast Point bottles in case you weren't aware.

You might just need to offer up something a bit more interesting to get somebody to justify an extra $20 to ship a $20 growler across the country. Spending $40 to get a Kane IPA growler in return is a lot, particularly when San Diego is already swimming in fantastic beer. Look at it this way - at some level you're looking for somebody to do you a favor here, so you may need to go a bit over $4$. I'd stick with it, or maybe revisit when the weather warms up, and somebody will come around eventually...
    Hanzo likes this.
  5. I didn't realize it was that much to ship a growler. Thanks for the tips. I'll try for it when the weather warms up then. I pick up just about anything from Ballast Point when it comes here, but I have never seen Barmey around here. Fairly new trading so still learning.
  6. I traded locals with traders in NJ, CT and IL before the holidays. $4$. We kept it at ~$40. It cost me $18 to ship 6 bombers to most places in the US.

I just shipped some Pliny to NC yesterday in exchange for some locals.

I wouldn't ship growlers.

My goal has been to get different beers from other parts of the country.