Trying to score a crate or two of Westvleteren 12

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by SammyJ, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Ah, I'm visiting Belgium 14 June-20 June with my girlfriend and reading this thread, and planning the final details, put a smile on my face. Thanks for the info guys!

2. Are you looking to score a crate or just a sixpack?

3. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to be visiting In de Vrede sometime during the week of June 8-14th. I'll probably be renting a car and won't know the license plate number until that day. I wonder if this will be a problem.

4. No problem at all. Biggest concern is to get trough...

Good luck,

Thijs

5. Great. Now I'll just need to stay up late or get up early and dial away.

6. It looks like you are in luck - they have listed pickups for Westvleteren 12 on June 8. It appears that you can call tomorrow between 0830-1030.

Now, if only they will have pickups sometime between June 17-19... :)

7. Erzengel

Erzengel Aficionado (240) Germany Sep 8, 2008

I got through today after 13 min!! I hope you were lucky as well! :)

8. I held off on calling last night as picking up on June 8th is almost impossible and I will try next week for the next allotment.

9. It took two hours this morning but I got thru for pickup next week. Woot!

10. not bad 2h. I once had to call an entire day :p I wondering when they will sell the Blonde again.

11. GoodOmens

GoodOmens Aficionado (160) Virginia Feb 18, 2011

Don't forget to tape the top of the bottles shut. I had 2/24 go during transit on my trip home this past Feb because I did not do this. A third one went when I was setting the bottles on the counter when I got home and accidentally tapped the top of the bottle. Fortunately I was able to savour 9/10th of that one :oops:

12. jimpdx

jimpdx Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 10, 2012

Great tip, thanks. I brought over 18/12oz bottles for someone with no trouble. Taping the caps makes sense, I will try that. I am doing a trade today for Westy 12 but have 4 days of sampling and shopping ahead of me. We might try to ship some styrofoam cases back over the next week of our vacation :) There is WAY too much her ein Belgium that I can't pass up!

13. sidbream

sidbream Disciple (70) Pennsylvania Mar 19, 2012

Does anyone know what the pickup times generally are? Also the hours for the shop? If I strike out trying to reserve a time I would like to at least grab a 3 pack from the shop.

Thanks

14. F2brewers

F2brewers Moderator (490) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2005 Staff Member

15. Last monday there where six packs in the shop for 20 € when we picked up our crates (24 bottles) for € 52 each (crate included) ...

So the cellar is filled again for the year 2018 :cool:

16. sidbream

Does anyone know if they allow you to schedule a pick up any earlier than the times listed on the website (13:30-16:30)?

17. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

nope, the monks run a tight ship and have a busy schedule.

18. sidbream

Thanks for the response. I am assuming there is a limit to one 6-pack per person at In De Vrede. If I can't get a pickup time I'll just grab one of those and see if I can snag some more 12's in Brussels.

19. If you play the game right you will be able to buy more packs....when you come in you buy one and when the lady behind the counter changes with another collegue you buy one then, and so on....and so on....

beerpirates likes this.
  20. Last time you could buy 2 six packs and follow the advice of Brabander

21. It's almost as if you have done this before......

22. To be honest not that much. I normally get my crates at the abbey so there is no need for me to do it this way.....

23. Patience is the name of the game

24. J0hnBeer

J0hnBeer Initiate (5) May 21, 2014

25. sidbream

Was at In de Vrede this past Monday. I picked up two sixers of the 12 then sat in the cafe and had lunch. The lady working the shop never left but I figured if at least try again and at the very least get a sixer of the blonde (8 was not available). She surely recognized but there was no issue at all getting a third sixer of the 12. Part of me wishes I'd have gotten one more 12 instead of the blonde but I'd never tried the blonde so I won't agonize too much.

Surely if I get some again I won't bother calling for a reservation, it was easy enough at the shop.

Brabander likes this.
  26. mlew

mlew Aspirant (40) California Jul 1, 2014

My wife and I just arrived in Brussels, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to pickup a case before leaving Belgium. Does In de Verde always have 6 packs available, or does is it just getting lucky when they have stock? I'm debating renting a car to drive out there while my wife and I are here in Belgium.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on shipping back to the USA? I keep reading conflicting information. I read somewhere that it is recommended to ship from Netherlands instead because it's a lot cheaper? We head to the Netherlands next, so that might be an option. Unfortunately, we are traveling around Europe for the next two months, so we can't just pack it in to a checkin bag. Any advice would be appreciated.

27. I would go for a visit to the abbey and the cafe. Normally they have sixpacks when they are open but this is not a guarantee..... They cost twenty euro for the six twelve. If they don't have them i am more than willing to get you some when you are in the Netherlands, just picked up two crates.

Shipping six bottles is cheaper in Belgium...about 34 euro. More than six bottles is cheaper in Germany, a twelvepack costs 45 euro shipmencosts there.

If you go to the abbey you must send me a mail cause i can tell you how you get inside the abbey and see the monks pray!

Thijs

28. mlew

mlew Aspirant (40) California Jul 1, 2014

Thijs, has anyone told you you're awesome lately? Because you are. Thanks for the info.

Brabander likes this.
  29. You can actually go inside the abbey and see the monks in pray in the chapel. You don't have to pray with them but it is very special to see how this goes. You can walk trough the abbey to the chapel and after that you can walk back.

The best time to go there is the 'noon' at 14.15 hours.
    What you must do is go to the entrance about ten minutes before the prayers start.
    Just ring the bell there and tell the monk who opens the door you want to go to the prayers. They will ask you to put out all cellphones. It is not allowed to make film or photo's.
    It is not possible to visit the brewery.

mlew likes this.
  30. time4beer

time4beer Aspirant (45) California Aug 13, 2014

I'd like to call upon your knowledge Brabander. I'm going to be in Belgium in about a month (Sept 22-24) and like many before me, I'd like to try and get some Westvleteren 12. I have unfortunately found that In de Vrede is closed during that time. I believe the abbey beer sales is also closed that week, but I am not sure. Do you know for sure whether or not the abbey will be closed during that week? I saw on the website that the "beer shop" is closed the week after the third Sunday of September, and I am not sure if "beer shop" refers to abbey beer sales.

31. What i heard from brother Michael is that the abbey itself will be open.....but check the site of the monks cause you never know. If they are open you will have to call the abbey phone...

time4beer likes this.
  32. time4beer

time4beer Aspirant (45) California Aug 13, 2014

Thank you for your help!

33. Hi people slight issue with the info from the abbey
    How do I know which beer will be available?it seems they are colour coded?
    Also on some of the days on column A it doesn't have a time just x x x
    But column B has a pick up date and time.
    This is confusing.
    I'm a newbie :p
    Thanks

34. yellow is number 12, blue is 8, green is 6

35. Thanks again :)