1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Twist off bottle caps

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Ilanko, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (180) New York Aug 3, 2012

any one know we i can get new ready to use Twist-off bottle caps ?
  2. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

My understanding is that the difference between pry-off and twist-off caps is that the twist-off caps are slightly more malleable than pry-offs. This is so when they are crimped into place they wrap around the bottle threads without breaking the bottle. Most homebrew stores don't carry them, and I think the issue is that you need a special capper (or maybe only a special capping bell) to work with twist offs.

All that being said, I think you can use pry-off caps on twist-off bottles with your regular capper. The seal just won't be very good.
  3. wouldnt it be the other way around? using twist off caps on pry off bottles would still mean that theyd crimp under the lip. harder pry-off caps wouldn't crimp in between he twist-off ridges if they're harder, so it's not just that the seal won't be as good, it wouldn't seal at all.

honestly, you'd be best off avoiding anything twist-off period.
  4. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (375) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I agree wholeheartedly with your final statement. As for pry-off caps on twist-off bottles, I've heard of people using them and not having any issues. But I wouldn't bet my homebrew on it.
    brewsader likes this.
  5. I use a standard crimper and normal caps from Midwest (and their O2 absorbing caps) on twist offs all the time and that works fine.
  6. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I've accidentally used some pry caps on twist off bottles before. At the time, I hadn't noticed that Starr Hill uses twist offs and re-used some. Of the 5 or 6 that I used, I didn't have any carbonation problems. I can't comment on how they may have held up over time though. The beer was consumed within a month of bottling.
  7. Same here. But I drink a large portion of my homebrews direcly from the bottle, and — call me finicky — I can't stand the way the twist off bottle threads feel on the lips when drinking. Like drinking from thread pipe. Ugh! I never buy any beer that has twist offs for that reason.
  8. One motivation to not utilize twist offs is the risk of oxygen ingress:

“Most mass-market beers—like those made by Anheuser-Busch, Coors, and Miller—have twist-off caps you can open with your hands, but craft brews tend to have pry-offs that require a bottle opener. Pry-off capping equipment is slightly less expensive than twist-off equipment, which is a factor for some small breweries. But many craft brewers choose pry-off caps not for the savings but because they believe those caps provide a better seal against oxygen.

“Oxygen is one of beer’s greatest enemies; it causes beer to become stale,” says Garrett Oliver, brewmaster at Brooklyn Brewery, which uses pry-offs.”

Cheers!
  9. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Most homebrewers have the pride to pour their beers into a glass, sir--especially since most styles don't need sediment. :D
  10. itsjustzach

itsjustzach Aficionado (190) Ohio Oct 23, 2006

Oh man, this. It makes me cringe when somebody takes a bottle of my homebrew and starts guzzling from the bottle. As for twist off bottles, I've accidentally capped them a few times with regular bottle caps, and they sealed and carbed up just fine. I never tried to actually twist the caps off though.