1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Two Brothers 15 Beers for 15 Years

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by 2BDChicago, May 2, 2012.

1. First, has anyone seen a list of the beers, or a timetable?

2-Bros website says, the first 14 have previous been released at some point in the past, and the last will be a special "new" brew. The only other info is that releases will occur every few weeks over the summer.

I've had Red Eye Coffee Porter (slightly bitter for my taste vs...say Peruvian Morning). And, over the weekend in Champiagn I saw #2)Bonfire-Dunkleweiss (have yet to see on shelf in Chicago), and #3)Dark Mild.

Second, should we even care or chase after these brews?

I want to cheer for the West Burb's brewing hero, but at times the organization doesn't seem to be overly concerned bout their fan base. Though they've had some notable brews (Heavy Handed single hop series, Heavier Handed period, Black Hop Juice, to name a few...)
    SimonesRules likes this.
  2. rhoadsrage

rhoadsrage Advocate (685) Illinois Jun 23, 2004

I would vote for the original recipe of Bare Tree and make lots of it. That stuff aged wonderfully and is nothing like the last few years versions. Also Philosopher's stone. I here it aged great but only after it was off the shelves.
  3. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

I am trying to get all 15 collected as they come out so I can have a Two Brother's Aniversary tasting with a couple friends.
    SimonesRules likes this.
  4. I am trying to do the same thing. Today, for the first time, I found #3 in the series, "Dark Mild Ale." From the bottle:

"For those that do not know this beer (which is probably most people), this was the second beer we ever made. The Dark Mile Ale never had a real name, nor did it even get packaged in a bottle. Back in 1997 when we stopped producing it we did not own a bottling line yet.

This dark sessionable ale was a favorite of brewers, however, not understood in craft beer's infancy 15 years ago. We think now craft drinkers will get it.
    215 IBU
    3.2 Alc/Vol"

I have bought two of each so far. One for drinking and one for having the anniversary tasting. I'm hoping that one of the beers released is "Askew." Although I never got a chance to try it, I heard it's a great sour.
  5. I didn't even see that the first poster saw the third beer yet. Whoops. Armenetti's and Capone Liquors have all three. Whole Foods on Ashland has 1 and 2.
  6. EROCK75

Been getting 2ea as well. It seems to take a few extra weeks to get to us, but will trade if I have to to get the complete set if I miss any.
  7. Wonder how Moaten will sell if its part of the series.
  8. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

I almost laughed at this...'til I remembered how sad Moaten was...
  9. I voted for Oh! Brother... their tripel. I still have a bottle from the last run in '08- waiting to to a side-by-side. Hope it makes it.
  10. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

11. #4 Being released today (5/8), Pillar of Salt-White Rye.
  12. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Really enjoyed #1 (Red Eye coffee porter). #2 isn't my favorite style but I enjoyed it, and and #3 isn't something I'll seek out. Any word on #4 yet? (edit: not what it is, but how it is.)

If there are other awesome brews they've released in the past, keep naming them here so I'll be sure to grab them when they come out. Seems to be a good amount of bottles being released so far.

I saw on the Goose Clybourn beermenus a week or two ago "Two Brothers Red Rye" and I was like, oh man, a rye version of Red Eye? But it was probably Cane & Ebel, I realized later. Haha.

Think there's any chance of Imperial Cane & Ebel? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/689/40401

FYI, here are all their retired beers: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/689/?view=beers&show=arc
    SimonesRules likes this.
  13. Sleeping on #3 is a mistake.
    Duff27, FritterFlip and pschul4 like this.
  14. aefbjo

Thanks Adam, I'll have to have a looksee... I'm popping by Before You Go on my way home today.
  15. Especially at like $3.50 a bomber.. I really enjoyed it.
  16. aefbjo

Oh, I was not aware of that. Great!
  17. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I remember really enjoying Pillar of Salt. I think Jerry's had it during CBC and I had it a year or two earlier in NYC at Blind Tiger.
  18. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

3.50 a bomber, cheapest ones I have seen is 7.99 i think?
  19. Wow. Really?? Hard to pay that for a.3.2% 22 oz beer.

I picked mine up for no more than 4 and change at Malloys Naperville
  20. Nachos4two

o are we just speaking of dark mild? I was speaking of red eye, sorry
  21. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Ugh! Went somewhere today that had Pillar of Salt fresh off the truck, but didn't have it programmed into the system yet. Ergo, no sale.
  22. You have to be kidding. I just stopped there randomly today while driving through and didn't see this. Dammit!
  23. Nachos4two

Was it the dg binnys?
  24. stevegoz

Willowbrook.
  25. Nachos4two

Oh okay thanks for reply
  26. stevegoz

No problem. The non-sellability of the beer certainly wasn't a big deal -- Wednesday is usually "new releases day" over there, and they're holding me the two bottles that I wanted.
  27. I thought #3-Dark Mild was a little weak, but it was priced as such...like you all are saying.

BTW, I was in Champaign(IL) last weekend, and #2) Bonfire was still in stock at FriarTuck. Sold quickly in Chicago, I was told it was a very small batch (50-gals).
  28. stevegoz

That would be ~300 bottles of Bonfire, or 25 cases. That can't be right.
  29. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

And that is not counting the numerous places I have seen it on tap.
  30. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

#4 - Pillar of Salt hit Binny's on Grand (downtown) this afternoon, $6.99.
  31. Wanted to reiterate that I stopped back by Malloy's.

Dark Mild was gone from the shelf, but was still in the cooler. Pillar of Salt should be around by Friday.

Also, it was $4.99 (I previously stated it was less).
  32. wtf I was just there ten minutes ago. Its not on the shelves, and there is an empty space where Bonfire was, but I saw no sign of Pillar
  33. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

From what I saw, they received a case (maybe more in the back?). By the time I was leaving, 6 bottles had been taken off the shelf. (I purchased 2)
  34. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Bonfire is still plentiful in south side Chicago. Red Eye was around recently, probably a few bottles still being put out. I enjoyed both, but haven't seen the Dark Mild or Pillar of Salt yet :(
  35. As far As Pillar Of Salt, I thought it was fine. Nice, spicy, medium-body but not much in the way if hops. The label promised a strong, dry-hopped citrusy aroma but... I didn't get that (granted, the label also promised an ABV of 68%...). The finish was just a little dull. I think I was expecting something a little 'brighter' overall. I might try another glass on draft but I'm nit so anxious about picking up another bottle.
  36. I agree. A very solid low alcohol beer. Wish they did that one in six pack bottles or cans.
  37. EROCK75

Just got #2 and #3 in Rockford area. Both priced at 5.99. I think Red Eye was 7.50. No Pillar of Salt yet.
  38. aefbjo

LOL
  39. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Funny - I was just about to start a thread about that - 68% ABV - too funny
  40. OK, I am 4 for 4 in obtaining Pillar of Salt in Peoria (IL). Sounds like PoS was either low batch or just sold quickly.