Two Brothers Red Eye Coffee Porter Returns!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by drewba, Mar 13, 2012.

1. has anyone cracked a bottle yet? I bought a few... and these claims of it being not so great are scaring me... I am sadly working overnight inventory shifts all week so I shan't be opening one till Saturday.

2. drewba

drewba Savant (375) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

To be fair, it's only a single claim thus far. The only other person I know that has already had a bottle said something to the effect of "it's still the best beer two brothers have ever made". I should have bottles tomorrow, I will report back asap.

3. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

Anticipation sours the cat.

I just made that up.

Vav and drewba like this.
  4. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

I drank a bottle last night. It was very good. Easily the best Two Brothers beer I have ever had, but I don't drink much of them. It had great coffee flavor and didn't seem thin to me. I don't regret buying 4 bottles.

PlinytheFarter and pschul4 like this.
  5. To be fair I didn't get to try it the first time around so I have no basis of comparison, but I had a bottle last night and really enjoyed it. The coffee flavor is there but not over powering which I appreciate. I like coffee stouts/porters, but prefer them to taste like a beer with coffee flavor rather than an iced coffee. I also thought the mouthfeel was a good fit for the style. Easily the best Two Bros beer I've encountered. I will be buying more.

6. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (255) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

I'm glad I didn't set off a firestorm by saying I didn't enjoy it. I knew there would be plenty of people who'd like it. I still may buy a bottle and see if it's better than on tap.

7. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Bought a bottle of this red eye porter you're all speaking of. If it's anything like the Bell's Java Stout I had last night I'm in for a treat.

8. Update: I just had it on tap in Warrenville... IMO, definitely better in bottles...

Seemed a lot thinner and one dimensional on tap...

Weird...

WITTBEER and drewba like this.
  9. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (255) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Glad to hear. I might have to get me a couple now.

10. Grabbed one at the River Grove Binny's. Had quite a bit of Abacus as well.

11. Abacus or Sucaba??

12. I thought they were both the same. Can't remember now, either way, they had a lot of it.
    Here's their number if you want to find out.
    708 456-7400

13. Thanks

They are the same as far as I know, except Abacus would have a year on it by now which I'd like to try...

14. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I just had 5 glasses on tap at Tribes... It wasn't as amazing as I remember (but I blame it one the fact that I've had over 1,000 awesome beers since then), but it was delicious enough that I drank 5 glasses of it...

15. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Wait-- you think it's better on tap, or in bottles?
    I just want to make sure there's wasn't a typo or autocorrect error...

16. I liked it better out of the bottle...

17. drewba

drewba Savant (375) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

We popped a red eye tonight, which was probably bottle #20 opened tonight and I wasn't in love with it. I'm going to open another bottle solo tomorrow night to give it a fair shake. I will report back.

18. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (310) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Just had one earlier tonight. Have never had it before, and am not very experienced with stouts (only recently started to love them) but thought it was a bit thin on the mouth, good coffee and roast flavor if a bit muted and understated, smell wasn't fantastic (bordered on cola a bit), color was nice. All in all, definitely worth the time to seek out, but wouldn't stay awake wondering about how amazing it could be, nor would I buy in bulk unless it is going to be a one-off and you want to use the rest for trade bait.

19. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I grabbed one today and will crack it over the weekend. I hoping it's as good as I remember. However, as Alewatcher pointed it how many great beers have we had since Red Eye was first released? Coffee porters and stouts are not unique brews these days, plenty of breweries are putting them out.

20. It's a Porter... says it right on the label........

21. Also.. I'd bet people would be more impressed with it if it had been a brewery only super limited one day release..

22. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

The one thing Two Brothers gets right every time. I love being able to grab their stuff off the shelf at will and not have to scramble around for it.

23. Binny's in Naperville is supposed to get it today. Had some from a growler last night. It's not as full as I remember it, but then again, it was one of the first coffee porters I tried (and loved). So much barrel aging and heavy beers makes this 9.6% seem light by comparison. Still very drinkable and just the right amount of coffee for me.

24. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Still have 7+ cases here at Binny's Highland Park.

Retail1LO likes this.
  25. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Plenty of it in Plainfield. Thanks for the quick reviews, guys. I would have bought 4 bottles, but I bought 1, to make sure I like it first. Something has gone sort of sideways for me with Two Brothers. I used to really like North Wind, and the last one I opened was like cola... it was thinner, had a soda-like carbonation, and while it tasted like stout, really offered no particular enjoyment... if this one is cola-like as well, I'm going to have a hard time buying dark beers from Two Brothers anymore.

26. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (310) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

You're right with the porter part, bad typo from me.

27. awdturboiv

awdturboiv Advocate (520) Indiana May 24, 2008

Binny's Tinley Park has 6-7 cases; picked up 3 today along with 2 Sucaba

28. I had it on tap at Tribes on Wednesday...it was okay, nice, refreshing, decent enough beer...but if I was going to go out of my way to drink a coffee beer Hell's Black Intelligencer at 3 Floyds kicks the shit out of it in my mind - not close, not close to close. I haven't had any bottles yet, so who knows on that front, but not something I'd seek out on tap.

29. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

You mean Orland?

30. awdturboiv

awdturboiv Advocate (520) Indiana May 24, 2008

Correct...Orland

31. I'm sure opening it immediately after BCBCS didn't help, but I agree. I'm still hopeful that it will stand on its own.

32. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

I'm drinking one right now and not impressed.

33. I guess it worked for Hop Juice Black...

34. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I sort of hated Hop Juice Black. And half of my bottles of Hop Juice were skunky within a week after buying them at the release. Hey. I should stop being a Negative Nancy.

- Debbie Downer.

35. Naperville had a case stack of it out...and they had more.

36. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Drinking one right now. For a porter I really like it...the smell reminds me of Breakfast Stout.

37. paslaugh

paslaugh Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 17, 2012

This. If you can get this on tap, do it, go. Run, don't walk. My favorite non-barrel aged oatmeal stout. They really need to bottle this instead of rubbish like Black Sun stout.

38. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

I really hope they don't bottle this one ever.

How many amazing coffee stouts do we try on tap that just don't measure up in the bottle? Coffee oxidizes and fades really quickly (like huge hoppy beers), and getting old bottles of HBI would be a shame.

Now if they wouldn't mind making this one a seasonal, or better yet a beer like Zombie Dust that they brew when they have capacity, I'm all for it. But its so glorious on tap as its so fresh. A local bar "cellared" a keg from the 2011 batch for about 6 months, and it was an absolute shadow of its former glorious self.

As for Red Eye, its a solid coffee accented robust porter, but like all things two brothers, its going to be somewhat middle of the road. Not necessarily made for the geekiest of us who love our huge coffee bombs, but something that beer geeks and average craft consumers can both enjoy.

Cheers!

39. did you really do that? or is this a clever sarcastic post?

40. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

We had a good sized tasting on Thursday night, and hours into said tasting we cracked a Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout 2011 into a Red Eye Coffee porter.

YeahNateNelson only offers truth and high fives. This is known.

yeahnatenelson likes this.