1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Two Brothers Red Eye Coffee Porter Returns!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by drewba, Mar 13, 2012.

1. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

I wasn't around for the first batch, but I remember the fall '09 having a lot more coffee.
  2. Drank one tonight. I'm pleased.
    PlinytheFarter likes this.
  3. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Good to hear. I'll be cracking my first one from this batch tomorrow. Most of the feedback has been negative, good to hear positive feedback.
  4. paslaugh

paslaugh Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 17, 2012

Random drinking night. Cracked a Boulevard BBQ followed by a HotD Fred.......surprisingly Fred stole the show. Then followed up with a Melange #3 and Zombie Dust.

I love Melange #3 and somehow, regular run-of-the-mill Fred stole the show for the entire night. How did this happen?
  5. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

I'm drinking one right now. I know it's a porter and not a stout, but I'd take FBS over this any day. It's decent enough for $8, but the aroma, mouthfeel, body, and flavor just really aren't anything too special. I only bought one thanks to seeing everyone's comments, and I'm glad I didn't buy more. It's not bad or anything, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this.
  6. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

Tore through a bottle last night and I thought it was a worthy purchase. Not out of this world fantastic, but I may try to find another bottle or two before it's gone.
  7. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

Picked up one bottle yesterday. Drank it today, then went to the store and picked up two more bottles!
  8. vic21234

vic21234 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I had some on-tap this afternoon at the Warrenville Tap House. It's certainly good stuff, but nothing I would go crazy in seeking out. I picked up two bottles at my local shop as well. The real find at the shop was a bottle of FW Sucaba, can't wait to try it.
  9. Have had three bottles now. One was kinda lousy, one was pretty good, and one was passable.

Your mileage may vary...
  10. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

I had one with a messed up label...
    davidthebruce likes this.
  11. I went to the Two Brothers Tap House last week to pick up a few bottles, and by the time I was done eating dinner, they were out! D'oh! The Binny's in Bolingbrook had a limit of 2 bottles per customer so my girlfriend and I each grabbed a couple. It was awesome on tap, so I can't wait to crack open a bottle.
  12. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

There's still plenty of it around.
  13. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Finally cracked one last night. It was very tasty. Tastes very much like I remember...
  14. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

The taste is very good. The mouth feel is very thin. It's a 9.2 ABV porter that drinks like cola. The downside is, much like Northwind, the aftertaste and the carbonation are both also very cola-like. It's a good beer for $7.99. It's not a great beer for $10. I normally don't look at the price for a glass at a pub, but if this is over $5, I will pass. While the flavor is great, it's not very challenging or complex... not something you savor... something you drink to quench a thirst. Just IMO.
  15. I like Northwind more (not the same thing, I know) but I still liked Red Eye. I'm glad I grabbed a bottle but wouldn't go out of my way to get another one.

If anything it's nice to see Two Brothers go "darker". Their beers tend to play it safe and drinkable and while this was a pretty safe porter I think it branched out their current portfolio a bit.