1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

two questions about adding blueberries to wheat beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Lloyd528, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Lloyd528

Lloyd528 Zealot (80) Ohio Dec 29, 2008

first...is pasteurizing at 170 degrees for 15 min safer than using vodka in a puree of blueberries before adding to secondary? If vodka, how much for 3 lbs. of puree? Are 3 lbs of frozen blueberries enough for a 5 gal. batch or should I add some concentrate?

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

First: If it's puree then it should already be pasteurized. What's your source?
    Second: Not much if it's for a 5 gal batch. You'll only want to do about half the batch.
    Where do you buy blueberry concentrate?

3. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I used 5#s of frozen blueberries in a 4 gallon wit beer a couple years ago. It was just barely perceptible and rather disappointing. Some tartness came through, but very little in the way of blueberry flavor. These were store bought bagged frozen berries and probably not of the highest quality. I took no measure to sanitize them. Just added to secondary. Had no issues on that count. If you are using a canned fruit puree, it got sanitized in the canning process.

4. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I used 6# of puree in a 5 gal batch of 1.050 wheat beer and it was like drinking Leinenkugel. Funny how we all get such different results with fruit. It sounds like next time I do fruit I'll add half, wait a week and add the other half. :)

pweis909 likes this.
  5. I added 3lbs of Blackberry puree to a 5 gallon batch of hefeweizen this summer. There was a definite tartness, and a general berry flavor but nothing that screamed Blackberry. I suspect you might have the same problem unless you use extraordinarily flavorful blueberries. I think that you will definitely need more than 3lbs. Probably closer to double that to really be able to detect their presence.