1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Two Questions for Texas Residents

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by AnotherImperial, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 1.) Does Epic Brewing distribute Big Bad Baptist to Austin or San Antonio?
    2.) Does Texas law allow for the receipt of shipments of alcoholic beverages?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide to either of these questions!
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

1. No.
    2. No.
    jbeezification likes this.
  3. Thank you for the reply, Lutter. Have you ever attempted to have someone send a beverage to you via FedEx or UPS? If so, what happened?
  4. Lutter

I run one of the most successful artisan marinade companies in Austin.

Never had a problem.
  5. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Finished a Big Bad Baptist 2 wks. Sho was good!
    BeerHunter76 likes this.
  6. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

1. No Epic distribution in TX at all, unfortunately.

2. Trading is pretty common. Check the trade forum for hints and tips on how to get it done. While not illegal, it IS against the Terms of Service for both UPS and FedEx. Check HERE for some good information overall.
    mattisloco likes this.
  7. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

I had a bottle sent to me once by USPS and it had "soft drink sample" written on it so I don't think its strictly legal.
  8. Thanks to all of you for your assistance!
  9. frognot

frognot Aficionado (210) Texas May 20, 2009

I would never ship beer but have been known to send some genuine Texas salsa to out of state friends.
  10. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Thought I'd pipe in my with 2 cents. I've completed roughly 10 successful trades outside of BeerAdvocate. Only had 1 box "damaged" from my end. (I know I packed it well so I don't know what the hell they did to it). It was damaged approximately January 18th. I called Fedex a few days ago, spoke to a nice lady (didn't tell her the contents). She said the box should be returned to me along with a claim form and I could get up to $100.

It's 2/2 and I still have no returned box, nor claim form. And my overall impression while speaking with Loretta at Fedex was that I'll have to fight to get a claim form and/or any salvageable contents of the box. It doesn't say where the box broke, but I believe it was in California, and the contents have made some beer guy a very happy and lucky bastard. ('12 abyss, BCBS, NG Serendipity, JK Buddha Brew, JK Das Uberkind)
  11. kmello69

Yeah, well worth noting that trading certainly comes with some risks. Be prepared for the possibility that things might break, bottles might burst, or boxes might disappear. If you're not OK with that, best not to get in the game.
  12. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Hopefully this isnt a ruse to catch people illegally sending beer through the mail, cause y;all just been caught if it is LOL
  13. kmello69

Caught doing what? This is a hypothetical discussion, bro. No one would ever actually ship beer.....
    blatherbeard and squirrely2005 like this.
  14. Lutter

Artisan Marinade.

If you choose to drink it by itself, that's your problem. ;)

It's made for Barrel Aged Stout chicken or Sweet and Sour Wild Ale Pork. Duh.
  15. Wine can legally be shipped into Texas, although I suspect OP's question was really just about beer.

I have dealt with UPS and FedEx too much in business to trust them, well, to really do anything right. I've had a lot of packages properly delivered but also a lot of problems and once you get stuck dealing with customer service, good luck on that. That's why I don't do beer trades. Obviously many other people do with mostly good success.
  16. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

The law has been watching these forums for a while ;-)
    The law likes beer too.
  17. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

If the law is watching... You leave my award winning salsa alone!
    MCain04 and frognot like this.