1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Two Roads Brewing Company

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by ScottieD, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Was at the brewery last night. Saison was amazing esp at 4.8% and there aren't many available in sixers so +. White IPA and double IPA (still at a mere 7.2) were also fine tasty beverages. They also have a biere de garde on as their seasonal of the moment. Looking forward to trying the IPA and dry hopped pils. Igor should be out in Feb.

sandman3479 likes this.
  2. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (530) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

Sounds good... let me know when and I'll see if its possible. Cheers

3. RMoeNay

Is the dIpa a hop bomb or a more balanced brew? Thanks

4. It's looking to be around 12:30 or 1. Will update later/tomorrow.

5. I don't know for sure, but the one review I read (while it was fuzzy on the actual flavor, beyond "hoppy), described it as being on the darker end of the IPA color spectrum, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were a bit more balanced.

6. Green Flash IPA also comes on the darker end of the IPA color spectrum but is a true west coast hop forward ipa with an abv of 7.3%. I'd be psyched if it were along those lines.

ILOVESTOUTS, sandman3479 and smutty33 like this.
  7. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (400) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Sounds like a pretty good setup. Does anyone know what their distro will be? Just CT to start or moving to Mass at opening or a little bit later?

8. I b
    I believe they've mentioned on their FB page that they'll be CT-only for at least the first year, and will look into expanding distro thereafter. Without knowing what % of their overall capacity will be going toward their own lineup, it's hard to gauge just how many markets they'll be able to cover.

9. RMoeNay

This was posted on their twitter account, for those interested: @2RoadsBrewing: Can't wait! RT @GingerManSoNo Join us thurs, December 20th for the official CT #launchparty of @2RoadsBrewing !

10. So looking forward to this as it is in my neighborhood. Fresh beer and warm lazy summer nights. Cant wait!

11. They've got keg and bottle TTB COLA's for some City Steam Brewery's beers (inc. Naughty Nurse, Blonde on Blonde, Innocence).

"Clipped" from the keg label:

[​IMG]

12. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (275) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

I'm in Stratford at least twice a month. Can't wait for this to open.

13. This is what I have heard so far:

City Steam
    Evil Twin
    Stillwater

14. i heard this yesterday as well.

15. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Savant (255) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

16. sounds like the White IPA is more like a Pale Wheat Ale, like Lil Sumpin Sumpin, as they aren't using any of the Witbier spices...

17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Isn't a White IPA an IPA fermented with Witbier yeast? The yeast gives the spiciness in that case.

18. I know the yeast gives it the hazy turbid appearance, and some breweries use the traditional spice profile of Witbier, not sure if the style have been given a hard and fast profile, at least not one I've come across...hopefully this one will taste good, that's all that matters to me!

19. From Facebook... They are are having a soft open today until 3-7pm for tastings/pints. No beer to go.

NJOssie likes this.
  20. It can be anything. Hence why the naming convention is the suck.

konabrewer likes this.
  21. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (320) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

Six packs now in stores in New Haven and Fairfield County

22. im heading there tonight for some tastings

23. Their website says an American Ale yeast and no spices.

24. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (275) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

brother just had the White IPA at Brickhouse in Stamford and said it was good!

25. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Stoppin by w/ a co-worker after work should be there around 3:45.

Two Roads is open for samples/pints 3-7.

Look 4ward to trying the goods.

Cheers All.......

26. Was there last night. Their beers were solid with the double IPA being my favorite. They have a doppelbock in the tank and a rye whiskey-aged imperial stout set for January release which I think I recall Phil the brewer saying in caged 750s. Barrels were sourced from Willett which I'm fairly certain have their rye made at LDI distillery in Indiana. Contracts confirmed to make the beers so far for City Steam and Evil Twin with several other rumors flying around.

woosterbill likes this.
  27. ohoove

ohoove Aficionado (225) Connecticut Mar 26, 2007

i ve got a six pack of their DIPA in my posession...bought it at LaCascio s in Prospect CT

28. def agree the double IPA is my fav. the others were good, but nothing crazy

29. I bought a six pack of their pils and saison at Amity. Their pils is good, it's not what I would describe as a classic german pils (they may not be marketing it as such, I don't know). Their saison, however, is very good considering the amount of flavor packed into a low ABV beer like that. Really strong floral notes, to the point that it makes me wonder if they put some sort of flower pedals or something it. I'm pleasantly surprised.

jaxon53 likes this.
  30. EDNOSE

Anybody seen any in lower Fairfield County yet?

31. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (320) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

Love the Saison. Definite session brew. I think its the best of the 4 offerings available in 6 packs.

32. Went to their launch party at Gingerman in Norwalk last night. The Saison and Dry Hopped Pils are both phenomenal, and I'm very excited to be able to buy six packs of a good, locally brewed saison. The white IPA did nothing for me but that style never does. I had higher hopes for Road to Ruin; I prefer more of a hop bomb and it just wasn't there on this beer. It also had a strange creamy mouthfeel but that could just have been the foamy pour we got. Either way, glad Two Roads is up and running in the state.

33. EDNOSE

Just had the double ipa (Road 2 Ruin) on tap at Coalhouse in Stamford in case anyone way down Fairfield County wants an easy taste. A very serviceable tasty IPA. Certainly not what I'd call a double and not anything that's going to make you rethink the way you think about double IPA's.

That said ... it tasted good and it's local so it's a win for us here in CT.

34. We popped into their place in Stratford late this afternoon and sampled the 4 regulars. Out of them, I enjoyed the saison most. It is low-key, but damn tasty and ideal to help you mow the lawn, shovel some snow or run the sump pump in your flooded basement. ;) (Had about 4 inches after last nights storm)

35. In Norwalk, i saw it both at both stew Leonard's and ninety 9 bottles.

Got a six pack of the saison and had a bad reaction to it. Hoping it was just a one time thing. Every now and then with beers I get crazy indigestion.

36. Gmr75

Gmr75 Savant (395) Connecticut Apr 30, 2002

Got 2 six packs of the Saison. Excellent session beer. I have a feeling this will become a warm weather favorite.

Also, kudos to whoever designed their packaging. It's really well done, and they stand out on the shelf nicely.

37. From the description that Two Roads provides on their website it sure doesn’t read like it is indeed intended to be a “classic german pils”.

“Ol’ Factory Pils, 5.0% abv

Traditional in concept with a Two Roads twist…dry hops. We use a combination of classic German as well as American hop and malt varieties in our Pils. We renovated a 100 year-old factory building and designed this Pils to have “extra” aroma…so, pardon the pun! Crisp…refreshing…refined.”

Would you agree with this description of the beer? Given that it is not a “classic german pils” how would you categorize this beer?

Cheers!

38. jjpm74

jjpm74 Aficionado (115) Connecticut Apr 10, 2005

I was at the brewery mid afternoon today. They had the 4 beers from their website on tap plus a holiday ale. All of the beers are pretty basic for their style. The saison and pilsner are poor examples of their respective styles. The IIPA is really good as is their holiday ale. I didn't try the White IPA, but picked up a 6 pack of it to see how their bottled beers are.

They were doing growler fills today. Since it is their first day, I'll cut them some slack, but they definitely should not have been offering growlers the way they were handling them. I ended up not bothering to get one after being told it was taking 45 minutes to an hour to get a growler. There were a number of annoyed customers waiting around for their growlers. They REALLY need a growler station that is separate from the bar area and/or offer ready filled growlers in a cooler in their gift shop.

It was also a real challenge to get any kind of basic service at the bar. When I tried to order a flight, I was told by the girl behind the bar that she was just too busy and cannot help me unless I wanted a pint of something. That is class A shitty service since they were offering flights.

My advice is to stay away for about a month or so, or visit them at an off time. I also hit New England Brewing today, which was just as busy, and got served right away and only had to wait 10 minutes for a growler fill.

audioserf likes this.
  39. Tried the saison myself last night on draft at New York Pizza in Plainfield. I couldn't agree more with your comments. Very tasty.

40. I got the chance to try all four of their bottled offerings, and while I didn't have time to write full reviews I'll give my general impressions here:

1. Pilsner - soft, refreshing, clean. The dry-hopping didn't do much at all, and therefore it didn't live up to its punny name, but it was a thoroughly drinkable, well-made lager. I don't think it will replace brewery-fresh Elm City in my summer lineup, though.

2. Saison - wonderful. Dry, floral, fruity, spicy, and just great. Terrific flavor-to-abv ratio. I'll be buying sixers of this in warmer months, no doubt.

3. White IPA - meh. There were some interesting fruity hop notes, but overall it was just rather thin and muddled. It seemed like it was trying to be Gumballhead, and failing.

4. Double IPA - double meh. It wasn't bad, but it was way too malty and didn't have any interesting hop characteristics to speak of.

jimmy82063 likes this.