1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

TX Label Approvals

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Lutter, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Protip: If you go by Whole Foods in Downtown Austin during December... they usually make Shiner Cheer gelato.
    Ford and icetrauma like this.
  2. Lutter

16oz cans? Fuck yeah.
    FUNKPhD and chocosushi like this.
  3. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

What style is this going to be?
  4. No clue... havent heard a peep
  5. elWhite

elWhite Aficionado (185) Texas Aug 29, 2006

Old Ale, I'm pretty sure.
    gtermi likes this.
  6. gtermi

Hmm that'll be interesting to see
  7. codyhaskell

codyhaskell Savant (300) Texas Aug 27, 2009

Did someone say Double Bastard? Picture taken at a Total Wine in Torrance, CA.
    [​IMG]
  8. Lutter

... I'm moving.

I actually got 2 bottles of this via Corpus Christi, so I'm happy. :)
  9. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

It's on the shelf at multiple places around Austin. Are people having a hard time finding it? Pretty sure I saw it at Live Oak Market, King Liquor and maybe a few other locations.
    lokieman likes this.
  10. codyhaskell

codyhaskell Savant (300) Texas Aug 27, 2009

That was just the tip of the iceburg. There are so many fantastic beers sitting around in SoCal. Make a trip, bring cash for shippers.
  11. gtermi

I really enjoy the Total Wine in Fort Worth, but they had NOTHING like that there. I grabbed a bottle of Double Bastard and really didnt care for it like I did in previous years
  12. MightyDog

MightyDog Aficionado (210) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I don't know if it's the water or yeast they use, I just don't like/prefer Stone's offerings. Much like the aggies, in a vacuum, they are pretty good, but there are just better options in every category.
  13. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (760) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I had Lucky Bastard on tap last night at Anvil Pub in Deep Ellum and I thought that was a very solid brew.
  14. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

No, I'm betting that he isn't broke after making millions because he's a moron. He wasted a talent most people would kill for and pissed away millions of dollars to stroke his ego...

And big talk from a horde of people that proclaimed Vince a can't miss.

Keep sippin' it up T-sip!
    lokieman likes this.
  15. DanzBorin

Oddly, I find it actually is better aged. I've had both fresh and about a year old. I really liked the year old better.

Don't get me wrong, it's still tasty fresh. :D
  16. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

had it last night, tasted really stale and nothing like I remember last time. I was seriously disappointed.
  17. DanzBorin

I chalked it up to age.

Maybe this batch just wasn't good.

Thing is I tried it on tap in 2010 and loved it, found an old bottle in MI and loved it even more. I then tried it last weekend and liked it, but not as much as in 2010. I figured my tastes might have evolved.

I'll have to break out my other bottle and a fresh bottle (if they ever release this in Houston!) and do a side by side.
  18. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Again, typical aggie. Maybe you should wait and see if your boy gets millions before making statements. He might not blow these mythical "millions" on ego, but he could easily blow it on legal fees. Walmart doesn't screw around!
  19. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Go troll somewhere else. This is a beer forum.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  20. DanzBorin

What?! I never said Manziel was the best. Just showing that UT has a less than stellar track record. In fact it has the most flame outs for extremely talented athletes I can think of in recent years.

Your bashing is as blind as your devotion to your school. You are one of those people who hope the Aggies lose when UT and A&M aren't even in the same conference. You are so blinded by poisened kool-aid that you probably hate A&M more than you like your own school.

Wake up and realize that they are just that, schools. Rivalry is fun, but to say I'm less of a person because I'm an Aggie is just sad.

Back on topic, any word on GI stuff. I'm waiting on Kegs of Matilda patiently, but it's getting harder to wait. :D
  21. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Everyone calm down and have an OU Sucks beer. (I have no dog in this fight, as I'm not from Texas and could care less about any of these teams, but its fun to poke the bear)
    blatherbeard and canadianghetto like this.
  22. DanzBorin

I bought a case of OU sucks because I found it funny. The beer was meh, but I dug the idea.

And that's from an Aggie. :D
  23. Danielbt

There's a crazy amount of projection in that post. You don't seem to be replying to anything I actually said.

Anyhow, besides being fairly hypocritical, kevinscott's statement is somewhat true. Back to talking beer.
  24. chaser85

chaser85 Disciple (65) Texas Jan 20, 2009

[​IMG]
  25. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (760) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I've got a couple bottles to age, hopefully it will only get better. But it is interesting to see the differences between draft and bottle of the same beer.
  26. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Old ale. Seems kinda weak at 6.9%, but not complaining. The guy looks like St. Arnold if he was a King lol. They still don't seem to know how many ounces are in 750 ml though!
  27. Danielbt

I don't know, they got it right on Blind Ambition. Anyone seen Le Mort in these bottles? Would be awesome if these were huge.
  28. Lutter

Blind Ambition was fantastic. Southern Star is 1 fantastic sour from being my favorite TX brewer.

The "Old World Awesomeness" motto makes the weird sizes make more sense.
  29. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Jesus Christ, keep the mindless college tribalism bullshit out of here. No one cares what school you went to, we're here to talk beer.
  30. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

I wanted a sixer of this just for the Irony :)
    Also the Oklahoma Sucks :p
  31. Lutter

Just buy Austin Amber. Same thing.
  32. DanzBorin

I wouldn't buy it for the taste... lol
  33. genitempo

genitempo Aficionado (220) Texas Jun 19, 2011

Gotta say, love this artwork and Blind Ambitions artwork. Finally, Southern Star is stepping up their label game. Can't begin to tell you how much bottle/can aesthetics plays into the beer for me. A good brew recipe coupled with a great bottle/can artwork is almost synergistic for a beer.
  34. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

That's typically why I turn away from Flying Dog. Don't get me wrong, the beer is good, but there's just something about drinking a beer with a big sloppy dog vagina on the label that doesn't get me too enthused about the beer...
    canadianghetto likes this.
  35. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (335) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Hope you checked the date.
  36. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (590) Texas May 30, 2009

Yea im not big on Flying Dogs labels either, but I like me some Gonzo Porter, Double Dog DIPA, and Horn Dog Barleywine!
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  37. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Yeah, good thing that BA Gonzo and BBA Hellfighter are the same beer ;)
  38. DanzBorin

It's a good thing I drink a lot of beer from glasses... lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.