1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Typical shipping cost?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Providence, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Hey all. When I hit UPS recently to send out a package I was a little taken aback by the price. The person I was shipping to lived in Illinois. I sent two bombers in a box that was large enough to hold them and a reasonable amount of packaging material. The cost was a shade under $24.

I will be the first to admit that I don't trade frequently, so perhaps this is common and I a.) haven't experienced or b.) overlooked it for some reason.

Anyway, what's your take on this? Is it possible that prices have increased on items coming into and out of New England because of the complications of dealing with all the snow that is clogging everything (probably not the case, just thinking out loud)?

Is there cost calculated on box weight purely or does box dimensions play a role as well?

Thanks in advance!
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I think that FedEx tends to be ~$15 for a 10lb box, which is about where you'd be.
  3. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Usually for UPS at that weight it would be 15, but area you are shipping to and where from play a factor into additional cost. I try to stick to a box no more than 15x15x15.
  4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Do you remember what the weight was? I just sent a 29# box from TX to Chicago (12 bottle styro shipper) and it cost me $19.52, and a 13# box from TX to SC that was $14. (both FedEx with an account)

Perhaps if your box was a non-standard size, or if the weather is screwing with prices, that might have an impact, but $24 for 2 bottles seems pretty darn high when I sent 9 bombers for $19.
    smutty33 likes this.
  5. OP, did you print your label at home or did you take the package to a shipping store? Oftentimes third party shipping places will tack on some fees.
    jrnyc likes this.
  6. Man, with an account from California it costs me $20 to ship a 6 bottle to Chicago. A 12 bottle is like $30 I think
  7. kmello69

But you're about twice as far, distance-wise. 2131 miles for you, 1120 from me. Providence to Chicago is less than 1000 miles, so his costs should be similar to mine (all things being equal)
  8. kmello69

Yes, it could definitely be this. I always drop off at an actual FedEx/Kinkos location, so no surprises
  9. That's true. I paid $15 I think for a 13# box to Washington which is like 800 miles or so.
  10. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

Shipped out 2 boxes today UPS, Fedex is definatley cheaper. One box going to Indiana from Wisconsin, 6 bottle shipper was 17$. One box to Florida from Wisconsin, about 12 bottles, 30$.
    Ouch.
  11. All bets are off if you go to a store to ship. Gotta get an online account, and Fedex is a bit cheaper.

The last box I sent to IL was 29 pounds for $19 with Fedex.

A little before that I had a 32 pounder for $20.

Both weight and dimensions both play a role, though weight is the bigger factor unless you have a really large box. For a smaller 10-15 pound box, I'd expect something more in the $12-$14 range to IL. I recently sent a 10 pounder to CA for $15.
    tacosandbeer and Providence like this.
  12. Send more stuff to balance out shipping. 2 bottles seems like a waste unless it was something really nice.
  13. I'm not sure of the total weight...
  14. I went right to the UPS store, didn't print any labels at home.
  15. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

I just sent out a 33 pound box to California from Chicago. I have an account with both UPS and FedEx so I checked prices with both and found FedEx to be $27 and UPS was an astounding $49. I actually could not believe the difference and obviously went with FedEx. Used to prefer UPS but I think I've been forced to make a change to FedEx. Cheaper and FedEx ships on Saturdays too!
  16. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

It's all about the Fedex account and printing at home. My first several trades I went a third party shipping store because it was convenient, but I later found out that a box that costs $40 through a third party would be less than $25 if I printed and dropped off at a Fedex location. I easily dropped and extra $100-$150 on shipping my first 6 or 7 trades.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I just sent a 20.8# box to Kansas City from ATX and it was $20 through FedEx. Typically I'm always around the 20->25 range through FedEx.
  18. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Sent a 35lb box via FedEx ground across half the country for $30
  19. Yeah, I just tested it out. Shipping a 35lb box from here (Philly area) to my guy in Southern Cali is $27.42. Damn good price if you're completely honest with the weight. ;)
    Squidly likes this.
  20. Thanks so much for the info. It sounds like I am getting put of a barrel here!

What are my options? I see many people saying that FedEx is the way to go, not UPS. Additionally, I am seeing many people urge me to print packing slips from home. Does that save money? Even if I go right to the FedEx store, would they charge me more in the store? Come to think of it, are there FedEx stores? I think I have only seen UPS ones. I must just be overlooking them.

Thanks again for the info!
  21. kmello69

Set up a Fed Ex account online. It saves you 8% on every shipment, and you can print labels at home and just drop your finished box off at the store - saves anyone asking questions.

Then you just print your label, tape it on the box, and you're good to go.

We have lots of FedEx/Kinkos stores here (and a quick Google search showed me at least 2 in Providence - Meeting St and Kennedy Plaza). No "surprise" fees, and might even quicken the process.

BM me if you want to talk about it more, but its worth it to go this route.

Ken
  22. Did anyone notice that the 8% discount for FedEx.com has been negated by a Fuel Surcharge?

Here is my latest bill from a trade at the end of January:

Transportation Charge
    Volume Discount
    Residential
    Fuel Surcharge
    Total charges
    $22.87
    jegross2 likes this.
  23. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

24. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I'm in the midwest, so I have the advantage of not really ever having to ship "cross country", but I would say my average box costs between $11 (for 1-3 bottle things) to $25 for heavier boxes such as 12 shippers.
  25. Noob question: Do I have to print the labels on special paper that is sticky on one side, or can I just print it on regular stock and tape it to the box/cover it with wrapping tape?
    Also, on FedEx's website it's showing a location very close to my work. However, the store is called Mailboxes Etc. Is this one of those third parties that folks have warned me jack up the price?
  26. I'm a noobie of sorts as well but just normal printer paper then tape the shit outa it so the paper is totally covered in clear tape and drop it off at FedEx and your good to go
    Providence likes this.
  27. kmello69

Just print it out on a regular sheet of paper, fold the paper in half, and tape it down to the box. Some people get those clear envelopes to put it in, but i never have, and havent had a problem. I actually print 2 copies - 1 to tape to the box (make sure every inch of it is covered in clear tape so it can't come off) and a second that I put in the box, right on top. The second one is a failsafe measure, should the original label somehow come off, they can open the box and find a replacement, without digging into the contents.

I would avoid Mailboxes etc - secondary store. Search for FedEx/Kinkos - those are the actual FedEx stores, and the ones you'll have less issues with
    Providence likes this.
  28. So if I am putting a label on myself how do I know how much it costs? I don't have a scale to weigh this stuff. I am not entirely against ripping off a huge corporation like FedEx, but seeing that I am already breaking one law by shipping beer I probably shouldn't break another, ha ha.
  29. kmello69

When you set up an account online, you can have it charge automatically to a credit card. That way you just walk in the door, drop the box on the counter, and walk out. No conversation, no questions.

When you fill out the shipping info online, there is also a tool on there to check the cost, so you'll know what to expect before-hand. It really works well.

It WILL ask you for the weight, but I just guess. They'l re-weigh and change it to the right number for ya
    Providence likes this.
  30. Cool, thanks man. I appreciate your help.
  31. Ok, I just set up the account and filled in the information for my first shipment with it. I guessed at the weight as you had suggested. I chose Home Delivery as the shipping option (the cheapest option). It sent me to a page where I can now print out the shipping label. However, I have no idea how much this cost. It hasn't told me the price. How would I find the price? Additionally, have I already been charged this money or do I get charged when it actually ships?

Thanks in advance!
  32. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Just had my most expensive shipping fee for a single box..... 38.3 lbs @ $45 from New England to Oklahoma. Box was about 2ft cubed
    Providence likes this.
  33. kmello69

On the page before you print, where you fill in shipping info, there is a column on the right of "additional services" or something like that, where you can request Email updates on progress, etc. one of the options in that column should be to check rate. So you have to do that before getting to the printing page.

And no, you don't get charged until after the box is delivered. Right now you could throw those labels away and nothing would happen, because they haven't been scanned into the system yet. As far as FedEx goes, that label doesn't exist yet
    Providence likes this.
  34. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I shipped a box to Cali from Michigan, 12 bottles, 30$. FedEx prices are seemingly random. I usually try to make online shipping labels and undercut the actual dimensions/weight now lol.
    semaj likes this.
  35. On the bottom right of the form to create the shipment there is a box called "Rates and Transit Times" - open that and it will give you an estimate. The downside of doing it online is you never really know exactly what it will cost. Sometimes the estimate is spot-on, but other times they will re-weigh your box and adjust. If you put in a fairly accurate weight, you'll be within 5%. If you took a wild stab, it may be right, or it may not be.
    Providence likes this.
  36. Sounds good all. Just printed my label and got an estimate on the order. Thanks again!
  37. Anyone here ship from the Houston area? I have a UPS account and still finding costs prohibitive for consistent shipping. Doing a 12 bottle (larger bombers probably close to 35lbs but I over estimated it to 40) from Oregon to Galveston and it was $20. Including an additional $5 to ship the empty box there, that puts me out over $2 a bottle just in shipping. Most of these bottles are $13+tax so that is making them around $16 each bottle (which is pushing what I normally want to pay for a beer like Abyss or Dissident). Just seems harsh, wish there were a cheaper way. Anyone else in the area have comparative prices or comparative distances? I doubt I can get better with FedEx but maybe I should try.
  38. kmello69

Honestly, $2 a bottle in shipping sounds pretty darn good. You won't get a better rate from online retailers, I dont think. FedEx will give you an 8% discount if you have an account with them, but that's not a huge savings.
  39. $2/bottle is very reasonable. Coast-to-coast costs about $3-$4.

I don't actually understand this part: "Doing a 12 bottle (larger bombers probably close to 35lbs but I over estimated it to 40) from Oregon to Galveston and it was $20. Including an additional $5 to ship the empty box there" Why did you ship an extra empty box?
  40. I am not actually doing a trade, I bought locally and am having a friend ship it to me. But most of my friends are not BAs and as such do not have shippers. I have a number of them and just ship them out as needed (normally I fly with them but I was stuck with this shipment).