1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Typos/Spelling Errors on Beer Labels

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmgrub, Jun 6, 2013.

1. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of Anchorage's Darkest Hour for a few months now. I picked a bottle up on my way home from work and was just checking out the bottle (Anchorage has the coolest screen printed labels!) when I noticed that the label describes the beer as a Begian (Belgian missing the "L") Style Imperial Stout. Obviously it doesn't change the flavor of the beer, but bad spelling is just a pet peeve of mine.

Anybody else see any interesting typos/spelling errors on widely distributed beers?

Lantern and ONovoMexicano like this.
  2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Budweiser says something about "taste" on their labels.

3. Love how people constantly dog commercial beers. If everyone in the world wanted craft beer it would make it that much harder for us to get.

BobBarker, Lutter, Dools9 and 4 others like this.
  4. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Savant (295) Michigan Jul 27, 2012

Lucky Bastard's label is full of typos.

Lutter, Lantern, MisSigsFan and 17 others like this.
  5. I've noticed more than a few on some Lagunitas beers, their Cappuccino Stout was the latest I found, it had probably 2 or 3.

DHS1029 and jmgrub like this.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Not a spelling error, but the Pipeworks Unicorn's Revenge I drank today had "Double IPA Ale" on the corner of the label. A bit redundant, but doesn't take away from the tastiness of the beer.

7. Overrated IPA from Surly. It belongs on Furious. ZING!

8. [​IMG]

this one has always bugged me for some reason

9. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

unasseppabull

10. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I recently spotted some Stone Cali Belgie.

11. Elevator Brewing's 4-pack carrier for the Horny Goat BA Porter is missing the "r" in porter, although there is also a cartoonish graphic of a bottle on the carrier, and the label on the bottle spells it right.

12. TheGoof

TheGoof Savant (285) Michigan Apr 10, 2013

Supply would rise to meet demand.

KS1297 and Higy like this.
  13. TravisR

TravisR Savant (355) New Jersey Dec 31, 2012

Or prices would increase to curb demand.

KS1297 likes this.
  14. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Or taxes would go up... just because they want to raise them.

otispdriftwood, DanE, Neary and 2 others like this.

15. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Budweiser label saying it's the "King of beers". And spelling is a pet peeve of mine also. Incorrect usage as well. They're, their, there. Very few seem to get it right.

Lantern and pcsnyder like this.
  16. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I'm not saying I want everyone drinking my beer. I am saying that Budweiser does not taste good.

kemoarps likes this.
  17. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

Obviously not widely distributed, but the recent Brandy Huna label has barrels spelled as 'barels'

18. DaveAnderson likes this.
  19. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

See: All Kuhnhenn labels

Great example: "Tenatious" Cassis...although, they managed to spell it correctly for previous batches.

[​IMG]

(not exactly "widely distributed", but still...)

Michigan and tectactoe like this.
  20. Wiat rlelaly? I hdan't ncoited, I'll hvae to ccehk taht out.

Lantern, DanE, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  21. tr9871

tr9871 Savant (270) Mississippi Apr 14, 2013

On the Bigfoot 4packs it says High "Alititude" Series. It baffles me that an error like that slipped by Sierra Nevada.

Luv2Brew422 likes this.
  22. They had a few before sending the label to the printer?

Bluecane likes this.
  23. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Savant (250) California Apr 15, 2013

Usually Scotch is 'whisky', and American is 'whiskey'—I wouldn't say that 'Scotch Whiskey' is correct. (a link)

kemoarps and Mothergoose03 like this.
  24. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I was just going to say Lagunitas. I found one on the label of a bottle of Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' that I was drinking last weekend. Can't remember what the word was but I chuckled upon seeing this on the bottle

25. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

My pet peeve is when somebody is supposed to be pouring me some beer and they are wasting time reading the label.

26. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

That't the problem: you are letting someone else pour your beer. The only time I let someone else pour my beer is if that person is a bartender or waiter at the bar or restaurant I happen to be at. If at home or amongst friends, I always pour my own. You should try it

kemoarps likes this.
  27. I actually emailed them about the errors on the Cappuccino Stout label and they emailed me back with some amusing chatter

djsmith1174, kojevergas and DHS1029 like this.
  28. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Yea.... I noticed that Three Floyds omitted 'India' before pale ale on their Zombie Dust labels. It's all good though.

29. Stugotzo

Per Wiki....

"Barel is one of the island kind of villages in Kathua, Jammu & Kashmir, India. It gets surrounded by the river in the rainy season sometimes disconnecting the village completely from the outside world for a few days."

So, maybe it was done on purpose. :D

30. The worst I've seen is for Breughel Gueuze. It was written "bière violée" instead of " bière voilée". So instead of veiled beer, they wrote raped beer, a pretty big mistake.

31. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Sounds rather pedestrian.

BorisKarloff and DHS1029 like this.
  32. Stugotzo

How can you be sure the beer wasn't raped? I mean, really. Can you? [​IMG]

33. If you look at a bottle of KBBS they spelled brunch wrong...

34. Well it didn't taste like it... I guess... :confused:

35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

As a full-time editor, this is definitely a big pet peeve of mine. Most (probably 80%) beer labels contain a misspelling, punctuation error, or other grammatical misstep—and Anchorage is as guilty as anyone. But I'll gladly turn a blind eye to the most egregious error if the beer inside the bottle/can is good. I guess what I'm saying is, I still love Anchorage.

36. I just mentioned this on another thread, but if anybody has a bottle of 2010 or earlier Cable Car you can find some real gems:
    San Francisco is spelled San Fransisco
    And the Toronado, the bar the beer is actually produced for, is spelled Tornado.
    It took them five years to get the label fixed, and they only fixed one of them.

jivex5k and MssrTussaud like this.
  37. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

It's a dumb legal requirement to include the word Ale. Also, they posted about it on here somewhere.

38. What if your beer doesn't have the label on it? I'm looking at you Dark Horse...

39. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That's not a typo. Some bottles say "Belgique" and others say "Belgie" because of this:

ONovoMexicano, fox227 and kemoarps like this.