1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Typos/Spelling Errors on Beer Labels

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmgrub, Jun 6, 2013.

1. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

From the Lost Abbey's Mayan Apocalypse Judgement Day:

Maybe the Mayans didn't believe in the concept of an apocalypse, but apparently the Lost Abbey doesn't believe in the concept of proof-reading or spell-checking text before sending it out for mass production...

2. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Judgment is acceptable as "judgment" or "judgement". Just sayin'.

Cinnamon is also spelled right. ;)

3. 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze (Armand & Tommy)

4. MikeWard liked your post in the thread Beer Label Errors.

Coors Light had a label that something about "taste" on it.
    Mar 29, 2013

Michigan likes this.
  5. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

From the top banner of a can of Bud:

6. This one is a mess
    [​IMG]

7. tripleT

tripleT Aficionado (105) Minnesota Dec 19, 2008

Shouldn't it be on Pliny? ZANG!

sacrelicio likes this.
  8. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Mikkeller Mexas Ranger's label on the bombers says 11.2oz.

sacrelicio likes this.
  9. Didn't see that one coming... POW!

Cheers

10. That's a little like complaining that some beers claim to be "biere".

BA search results:

Gueuze - 60 beers​
    Geuze - 28 beers​

Languages, bro.

11. I once saw some macro lager with a typo. They put "Pils" on the label , obviously typing an "l" in place of an "s"

12. Yeah, I know those words well. Some dummy painted them with rollers back in the '70s on one of our local dam's spillway about 20' high. How creative. Anyway, I had to post that despite imitation being the sincerest form of flattery...

Michigan likes this.
  13. gadwilco

gadwilco Aficionado (125) Maryland Sep 26, 2002

That's probably a TTB thing. The "A" doesn't cover you for "ale". We've had to put some pretty awkward phrases on some of our labels.

14. gadwilco

gadwilco Aficionado (125) Maryland Sep 26, 2002

We misspelled "Evolution" in the copyright line on our first run of labels when we opened. No shit. It's amazing what gets overlooked when you're busy. It's only the name of the brewery, right?

jmgrub likes this.
  15. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

That wasn't the misspelled word he was referring to, bro

BrettHead, callmemickey and Michigan like this.
  16. They were pointing out punctuation and capitalization with that one.

17. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

really not going to beat that 'barell' one.

18. upland's recent take on the pre-prohibition champagne velvet was released with a bit of a typo near the bottom of the label. celebrating, became celerating. which, i suppose would be interesting depending on the celer.

wait, i mean, cellar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Aficionado (155) Iowa Apr 5, 2013

"Little Something Something"?

20. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Didn't the last release of Breakfast Stout have a typo on either the label or 4-pack holder (or both??)? I want to say it said flaked oaks instead of oats or something.

21. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Is that bad spelling or bad grammar?

22. The mispelled word is "Tommy"--it should be "Tomme." I'd think my avatar would be a give away that I know there are multiple spellings for Gueuze/Geuze. Try your internet tough guy schtick again, bro.

BrettHead and jmgrub like this.

23. Both chile and cinnamon are spelled correctly...

24. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Spelling schmelling ISO darkest hour

jmgrub likes this.
  25. millionsuns

millionsuns Savant (265) Maine Dec 6, 2008

Yeah, that'd be "Get me a beer from the frige." The folks at Lagunitas were clearly dreaming of beer during English class.

26. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Ba hunahpu spelled barrel wrong on the label.

domtronzero likes this.
  27. domtronzero

Judgment (or judgement) is only acceptable as "judgment"/"judgement" if it is not referring to the proper noun name of the beer, hence it should be "Judgment."

As far as cinnamon, read below...

I know they're spelled correctly. Maybe I should have included reasoning as my original post could be a bit construed:

Starting from the beginning:
    1. "prognosticatedthat" is compounded here. It should have a space between the two words.

2. This is the same for "2012for". <--- don't get me started on the American English language's inconsistencies problems with putting periods outside of quotation marks ;)

3. "Funny thing is." is not a complete sentence as it lacks structure. Obviously is was supposed to have a comma separating it from the next clause.

4. Incorrect possessive use of an apostrophe when "Mayans" is inferred to have plurality.

5. "chiles. Cinnamon" I know they're spelled correctly, but again a comma was obviously omitted here, leaving the first sentence to be incorrect and lacking structure. The first sentence is actually structurally sound, but by inserting a period rather than a comma has left the second sentence void of proper structure.

6. Still looking at the same two sentences, why is "chiles" left as a (seemingly) diminutive term as the first letter is left lower-case, while "Cinnamon" and "Tamarind" are left as an augmentative form with the first letters capitalized?

7. This sentence is terribly written, plain and simple; another issue I have is with belief-in versus belief-that. Read here for more on this topic:

I think that the proper phrasing could be: "Like us, we’re pretty sure you can believe that dried chiles, cinnamon and tamarind work well together in this beer."

No matter how you look at it, this thing is riddled with errors, both typographically and grammatically. It appears as if someone typed it up on a smartphone using Swype.

Edit: ok, after thinking about it, perhaps a belief-in would be correct. It still doesn't negate all the other issues with the label.

28. domtronzero

Haha, this word has always caused an issue with me. Refrigerator, when shortened, would be 'frige. But I guess the use of that word in our modern spoken language (which has evolved beyond our written language) leaves it looking incorrect when spelled that way.

29. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Who doesn't enjoy a blend of vanilla and cramel?

DanE and domtronzero like this.
  30. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

it's not that spoken language has evolved beyond written, it's that orthographic rules and linguistic rules neither overlap universally nor do they even derive from the same source (orthographic usually traditional and/or prescriptive, while linguistic rules arise from [see linguistics class, but it's neither tradition nor prescription]).

domtronzero likes this.
  31. domtronzero

Never thought about it that way. But then again, I'm no expert. I'm an engineer so I <3 math :)

32. Every release has had that typo, actually.

Moylan's Hopsickle used to say "imerial" on the label, but it has since been corrected.

33. Oh, snap!

34. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Haha yes that was it!

35. I wondered if anyone else had spotted (non-deliberate) spelling mistakes on labels like this one that I noticed while rearranging my beer fridge:

"BEGIAN" Style Imperial Stout anyone?!
    [​IMG]

36. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That storm was so damn strong that it moved the "r" in New Jersey

dieBlume and Paccamacca like this.
  37. Zombie Dust:

says "Undead" Pale Ale but I think they meant "India."

JG-90, MisSigsFan, jman005 and 6 others like this.
  38. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

i think my bottle shop still has some on the shelves. i'll check tonight when i'm in there.

39. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (420) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

Hill Farmstead 750mL growlers have a period in the middle of a sentence. The same sentence is correct on their 2L growlers.