Tyranena - Devil Over a Barrel

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

This coming to IL?

2. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

I have to agree with Rio, his assessment of the beer was pretty spot on. I had this back to back with big bad Baptist, and it wasn't even close. Baptist crushed it.

3. RyanFindlay

RyanFindlay Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2007 Wisconsin

Never mind that BBB is a near 12% Stout and DOAB is an 8-9% Porter...

For those wondering, it is the exact same recipe/blend as it was in '08.

Cheers!

grantcty and Ri0 like this.
  4. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

Are we only allowed to compare things that are the exact same now? I wasn't comparing styles, I was comparing the flavors of the coffee and BA in a flavor aspect. BBB was so much more complex, that it blew DOAB away. Now if I was comparing the body of the beer, then your criticism would be more applicable.

5. hombrepalo

hombrepalo Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2008 Illinois

Picked up some today at Binnys in Niles. $10.49 a four pack.

mychalg9 likes this.
  6. toolbrew

toolbrew Pooh-Bah (1,600) Feb 26, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It was at Bottles & Cans today too.

7. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Excellent, thanks!

8. Dactrius

Dactrius Pooh-Bah (2,487) Apr 23, 2012 Netherlands Antilles
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's also hit distribution in Madison. I picked up some at Steve's. Obviously somewhat limited since there was a 2 4 pack limit.

9. GreatGazoo

GreatGazoo Pundit (750) Feb 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Binnys Niles had two 4pks at lunch time and I grabbed one of them. They also had a couple 4pks of The Devil Made Me Do It right next to them. Binnys Skokie got a case and hadn't put it up on the shelves yet.

10. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois

This is an amazing beer. I got a lot of coffee out of it. This one is going to be interesting to sit on in the coming months. I picked up a four pack last week, Tried it and was blown away. Over Easter I brought a 14' KBS and 14' Black Note along with 13' Bourbon County Coffee and a 13' BA Plead the 5th to the Chicago burbs to have a little tasting with my Miller lite loving friends. They said the Devil was the best one.
    Do I agree.. maybe not over BN and BC Coffee, but close to BA Plead the 5th and better then dare I say it KBS.... the devil in fact did make me say that.

11. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I have not been able to find this in the Milwaukee area anywhere. Has anyone seen it?

12. RyanFindlay

RyanFindlay Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2007 Wisconsin

You should see it start hitting shelves in Milwaukee this week.

13. Brewzma

Brewzma Zealot (700) Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Discount Milwaukee had some today

14. Westuh

Westuh Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

Rays has it

15. Jimbobebop

I was able to pick up 4 4 packs of this in Chicago. Fischmans saw at least 2 cases, it hit the shelves a week apart. I saw some more at beer temple yesterday, said he got it in that day. Didn't pick up at beer temple because I though 5 would be hording. I think this beer would make a great summer porter, and a great hair of the dog. I expect next year this one will be hard to come by. This release was over looked by many, since everyone is on BN and KBS mode. So worth the 11 bucks. If you see it pick it up, People are not knocking down doors for this one but people that know clear the shelf.

16. gkoz

gkoz Pundit (893) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona

I "know" and easily could have had more but i went with 1 4 pack so other people can have some. it is a really good beer

17. Jimbobebop

Thought I was being good at 4 4 packs? Shows Chicago mentality for you.

18. gkoz

gkoz Pundit (893) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona

I mean, it really doesn't matter what I think. Do what you want. I will probably want more eventually when I'm out.

19. Benish

Benish Pooh-Bah (2,422) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Grabbed one four pack. I'm quite impressed with this beer.

Ri0 and SkinniePost like this.
  20. shredder83

shredder83 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2013 Illinois

Only grabbed one 4-pack as well, I can only hope others figure out how good this is. Sold out within a day at my local binnys but there's still half a case at a smaller shop near me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.