1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Uinta Crooked Line Sea Legs

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by whiskeytown, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Had mine last night, 'twas a good Baltic porter but sure didn't have much of the flavor from the barrel..
  2. The label describes the brew as "complex and drinkable, this barrel aged Baltic style porter exhibits chocolate and smokey malt flavors, with hints of vanilla and oak. A seductive offering, Sea Legs is a siren of a beer."
    My 750 ml corked and caged beauty was bottled 11/23/12.
    Poured into a Spaten Octoberfest nonic, the first thing I notice is the massive tan colored frothy seas foam head (3 fingers+, the brew may have been poured a touch cold @ 40°). Nice heavy spider web lacing as the head eventually subsides to leave a 1/4" layer atop the brew. Great head retention. Tipping the nonic and holding it up to the ceiling light reveals a dark brown brew that no light enters except faintly if tipped.
    The aroma is dark toasty lightly smoked malts with slight elements of oak (perhaps).
    The flavor is dark roasted malts, chocolate that's neither sweet nor bitter, a bit of #2 moleasses (not the harsh blackstrap nor the barely detectable #1), with very restrained smokiness, vanilla (again with nice restraint), and a touch of oak. I could swear the smokiness comes through more on the lips than the tongue, but then; I'm just a redneck.
    Finishes with a medium body, near perfect carbination for this style, slightly creamy, and with a slight stickyness on the lips.
    Overall, a well balanced Baltic style Porter with nice complexity and easy drinkability. If you are into the harsh, slap you in the face Barrel Aged Porters you probably want to pass this one by. If you like balance and complexity in your Barrel Aged beautys this is a must try.
    To me it's an easy 4.2 brew.
    choobaccaHB, JimmyW, luwak and 7 others like this.
  3. fantastic review.. thank you
  4. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Weird we get their stuff in spades in AZ and i have yet to see this. But i agree i'd try anything from this series.
  5. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Got one today!!!
  6. EricMehon

EricMehon Aspirant (35) Illinois Oct 21, 2012

We will be getting some in Plainfield IL this friday (January 4th)
  7. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Cant wait! Labrynth is waaaayyy under talked about. I feel like if the label said barrel aged stout instead of black ale, it may get more attention....what do i know. Uinta is really solid thats what i know!
  8. Had this last night - not a big fan. It was certainly drinkable, but fell short of being anything outstanding.
  9. JOrtt

JOrtt Savant (345) California Dec 20, 2012

I just cracked open a bottle here in New Mexico. Not to bad. There's about a case of it on the shelves at the local liquor store.