1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

UK enthusiast looking for American equivalents

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zid, Feb 13, 2013.

1. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

I love UK brews, but due to cost and lack of availability, am interested in finding American beers that can come close to scratching that itch on a more regular basis. Beers would ideally be available in NY and in 12 oz. Would love to hear any recommendations for beers that come close to the flavor profiles of (in order of interest):

Black Sheep Riggwelter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter, Daleside Morocco Ale, Daleside Monkey Wrench, RCH Ale Mary, Theakston Old Peculier, and Harviestoun Old Engine Oil.

Thanks

2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Yards does some decent approximations, but not necessarily of those particular beers. Good choices though.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  3. First off, Riggwelter is my all-time favorite brew, and Theakston is up there as well, so I feel your pain.

Goose Island is available in NY, if I'm remembering correctly? Their Honker's Ale (6-packs, 4.2% English-style bitter) is very good, though w/more late-hopping than many of the bitters I had in England. Still, traditional ingredients, and very English in inspiration. Good stuff. Schlafly Pale Ale (4.4%) is a smooth, English-style bitter, though w/a lower hop presence, both in terms of bitterness and flavor/aroma. Also quite good, but I'm not sure if you can get it there in NY.

The sad truth is that if you're a hardcore British ale fan (as I am) there's just not much Stateside (at least that I've found yet) that can do those beers justice. It's honestly a HUGE part of what got me into homebrewing. I now brew predominantly English session or session-ish beers (3.0%-4.5% abv) brews, because they're what I love, and they're really tough to get here. It requires a decent output of time and (startup) money (to do it right, we're talking somewhere between $200-400) but the rewards are sizable.

4. I just brewed an English Bitter for the same reasons, but it's only my second homebrew. Any recommendations? Definitely interested in the same beers 3 - 4% abv bitters, milds.

5. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Depending on where you are, you can find Harviestoun Old Engine Oil in the States. Most of the Ola Dubhs as well.

Mediczod likes this.
  6. To springboard off what jmw posted, Yards makes excellent English Style Ales: ESA, Brawler (an English Mild) and Love Stout (an English Stout). They use English Malts and English yeast strains to make these beers.

I also consider their beers of the Revolution as being English style: Jefferson Tavern Ale and Washington Tavern Porter.

The advantages of drinking US craft brewed English styles beer is lower cost and fresher product; and I personally think fresher product is the ‘real’ winner!

Cheers!

P.S. If you can get ESA on cask that beer really, really shines on cask!

TongoRad likes this.
  7. zid

Had the pleasure of trying some of Yards beers on a road trip. Loved Washington's porter. Goose Island is very easy to get here, and I really like Mild Winter and Harvest. Wish they had something in that lineup that was like a darker English beer. It isn't too hard to find Old Engine Oil but it's around $5 for a 12oz where I live.

8. “…like a darker English beer.” Yards Brawler is an English Dark Mild.

Cheers!

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (305) California Jul 17, 2007

I too would second the homebrewing recommendation. The sad truth is that many lower alcohol beers do not travel well, especially if shipped overseas in unrefrigerated uncontainers (easily damaged by heat and temp. fluctuations), and if they are shipped by sea in refrigerated containers they will be damn expensive. And sadly not too many American brewers are brewing those styles either. So brewing your own is a great alternative, and you can do a fine job with extract / partial mashes / brew in a bag methods on your stove top which really can reduce start up costs (especially before you decide you really like the hobby and the beer and perhaps decide to upgrade). There are a ton of great English hops, yeasts, grains, and extracts available stateside.

10. e30todamax

e30todamax Savant (345) Virginia Oct 5, 2012

North Coast Old Stock ale is a goto, and I'm sure you'd enjoy Denver Pale ale from Great Divide

11. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

Pretty Things makes English style brews, available in NY. One of the brewers is from Yorkshire. Their line includes recreations of historical English recipes.

If you travel in the US, try asking in the appropriate regional forum about English style beers available in your destination. In Massachusetts, Ispwich and Mayflower brew excellent beers in the English style, though with gaps in the lineup. Good low ABV beers are tough to find anywhere, but I recommend Pretty Thing's X Ale 1945.

12. zid

Thanks for the suggestions. Some will be on my radar: Schlafy, Ipswich, Mayflower. Some are already favorites: North Coast Old Stock is awesome and the closest I've had to Old Peculier, Pretty Things is the one brewery I'd try anything from blindly (but their recreations are almost impossible to find in NY).

13. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

BIAB is the way to go

14. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

You can find Old Engine Oil all over in the states.

15. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Dann worked as a brewer in Yorksire, but he's an American. His wife Martha is from Yorkshire.

The 1945 X Ale is all gone, I fear.

16. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (300) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Haven't had anything that compares to Old Engine Oil in the states... It sucks too because it's $30 a sixer in Seattle.

17. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Regarding Old Peculier, I'm not sure why you would seek an American equivalent now that it has fell back into the fold. Über freshness is not a concern, or shouldn't be, for that style. Moreover, at 12.99 a sixer, an US equivalent would not be cheaper. That beer is amazing and no one is duplicating it. Cherish it. Buy it. Keep the demand alive along with me and other smart fellows.

That said, I'm right on board in your plight. Not enough UK, for me English in particular, to be had in NY. We were getting tall boys of Bombardiere, but that flow seemed to have dried up. Shame because they were cheap and tasty.

I would love to see an East Coast brewer champion UK beers they way Victory champions German styles.

18. zid

I'm with you regarding Old Peculier. That's why it was near the bottom of my list.

Trying a Two Brothers "Long Haul" right now and it's great. Would recommend to anyone in this thread.

19. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I am very fond of the many British ales I've had, but I too am dismayed by the overall lack of options and American iterations. I love American style hoppy brews as much as anyone, but I like variety.

20. IMO Widmer Drifter is the best Best Bitter widely available in the US. Just have to realize that its a new world approach (modern hops and bit more abv) to an old world model.

I'm like a broken record with this beer, but I love it so much and think that unique, drinkable, balanced pale ale is an area US craft brewers have yet to develop much beyond SN pale ale knockoffs and ipa wannabes.

21. You used to see much more UK styles in New England (Maine may still be the last bastion) but it seems most brewers have decided (wrongly imo) that they have mastered that and moved on to more "exciting" style that get beer geek recongnition.

22. ThirstyFace

I would strongly argue that Drifter is not an English style bitter

23. I personally have never had Widmer Drifter but I find the selection of hops in that beer intriguing: no different. With its unique citrus character, smooth drinkability, and distinctive combo of hops and malts, Drifter Pale Ale is truly an original.
    Availability
    Bitterness
    Alcohol by Volume
    Year-round
    28 IBU
    5.7%
    Original Gravity
    Malts
    Hops
    13.8 Plato
    Pale, Caramel, 20L, Caravienne 20L, Caramel 80L, Carapils
    Alchemy, Summit, Nelson Sauvin

Cheers!

24. zid

Not too long ago, at a point when Old Peculier was no longer distributed in the States, someone recommended Old Chub to me as a substitute. After buying some, I understood what he was getting at, but it seemed so lifeless in comparison for me.

25. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

What part of NY are you in? If you are near the Hudson Valley, Sloop Brewing makes a nice English-style pale ale.

26. Never said it was - thinking outside the rigid old world box.

Its all pale ale...

27. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Now that Goose is bottling Nut Brown again you may enjoy that one. It is a bit more American in character though, but still a solid brown ale.

28. ThirstyFace

Really? Old Chub as sub for OP? That is craZy

29. ThirstyFace

Ok, then my mom is a haircut.