1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

UK proposes minimum price on beer and end to bulk discounts

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Bitterbill, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

I just saw this on Beerpulse:

"This week the Home Office announced its own measures, which include a 45p minimum price per unit and an end to bulk discounts. The main target is supermarkets selling beer for less than bottled water. If the minimum price goes through, a can of strong lager could not be priced at less than £1.56, or a bottle of wine below £4.22. The government thinks this could cut drinking by 3.3% and save lives."

Thoughts?
  2. CwrwAmByth and Bitterbill like this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

Way to go, EB! Just sitting around and not trying to do anything to prevent this=win for a ridiculous, never should be passed thingamajig.
  4. Exactly, it's just going to make things harder for regular people who are already suffering at the hands of this godawful excuse for a group of leaders.
  5. harddanceuk

harddanceuk Member

Good. I hope more brewery's go under because of this and push up the unemployed. The country is finished and has been for a long time now, the sooner is end the better.
  6. Our grasp of basic grammar certainly seems to be finished.
  7. Ruds

Ruds Member

Perhaps he's just talking about Wales - fair enough then!
  8. Uh-oh. I think I just heard the unmistakeable scraping of someone opening a tin of worms.
  9. Won't have the desired effect but it won't really affect me directly.Pub prices are generally way above this anyway.
    What happens at the moment is that supermarkets can afford to offset low prices but pubs can't. What's required as well as a minimum price (which might turn out to be illegal anyway) is a duty reduction on on sales.At present it's so much cheaper to buy beer at a supermarket than visit the pub; many pubs are therefore suffering and closing, sales are down and with them the tax take.
  10. It's not just the price of beer that's making pubs suffer. They have to move with the times and get something i'm actually interested in going out to drink. Yeah you might be blessed with really good local pubs but here unless I want a pint of bitter or golden ale I have only a couple of pubs to choose from which are quite a trek, so I have to buy bottles. I'm sure many places are the same with respect to the bitter or nothing ale offerings.
    ImperialStoat likes this.
  11. The minimum price on an alcohol unit is just an empty ploy to generate more tax income.

This is just a reminder that if you want good beer/Real ale to survive you CANNOT
    give the standard response
    -'I don't do politics'
    Bitterbill and CwrwAmByth like this.
  12. I do not think this will really effect any British craft brewers. Hopefully they have always had their beers priced above the minimum to begin with.

It might curtail some of the loss leader prices that the retailers do with the less flavorful brands (no names - you know who they are).
  13. It would only slightly increase the tax revenue.The provision is to prevent outlets from charging low prices, if prices rise then the VAT will increase but presumably the supermarkets will find something else to sell at a loss.It's not a duty hike.
  14. harddanceuk

harddanceuk Member

The country is going down the shi±~er and thats all you have as a reply. Lay of the water & the alchool!