1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

UK Weekend Beerage

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Everards Tiger best bitter. Ok bitter, probably wouldn't buy it again given the number of them out there
  2. Now onto castle rock harvest pale ale. Pretty nice, a fresh bottle by the looks of things.

I'm in wales at the moment, what's the best Brains/other regular welsh beers in mid wale on tap?
  3. Stay away from Brains unless you see their "craft brewery" offerings, which are usually okay.

Otley, Tiny Rebel, and Rhymney are usually good bets. Purple Moose too.
  4. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them
  5. I like a pints of Brains bitter on cask, me
    had some very lacklustre bottles recently though apart from gold old SA :)
  6. Brains are really hit and miss, and there's some great stuff to drink in Wales, which is why I said to miss it out. Like Brains Dark on cask is horrible, but I actually quite like the nitro-tap/bottled forms.

I've had Brains bitter once on cask but it was after 4 pints of Landlord so my mouth was full of hoppy goodness, and my brain full of alcohol.
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  7. Stone & Wood Pacific Ale and Meantime IPA, both excellent
  8. What Das Helles?
    More Unde-Linke-balls-a-swinging Munich Helles!
  9. Just watched In Bruges. I want to go to Belgium now.
  10. I'm back in Dublin for Christmas and there's 2012 Celebration all over the place. Must be somewhere in England as well.
    RendoMike and Ruds like this.
  11. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Polished off the Harveys Christmas Ale, courtesy of Ruds. Amazing stuff, great port notes and so smooth for the 7.5% ABV it should be illegal.

Split a bottle of BCS Vanilla last night with a beer geek friend, again courtesy of Ruds. I need more Ruds in my life :D

My local somewhat more "beer-y" pub, that burnt down earlier this year, just re-opened at another location. They're clearing out the stock, including 2009 Stille Nacht at €3.5 a bottle, so tuppence really. Can't remember the last time I got smashed on really good beer like that. No headaches either. I'll make sure to save you a few, Colin :)
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  12. Should be seeing Ruds on Friday! :)

So far: chocolate stout, double hopped yuletide ale, sherry, and port. Got bottles of Chimay and Westmalle Tripel out for tomorrow, oh my poor liver.
  13. Dennoman

Hand him some Brains Black nitro cans if you don't have to go out of your way for them, still haven't tried the stuff :p I'll more than make it worth your while ;)
  14. Damn I wish I could, but i've been in Essex for the past week or so. Hopefully i'm going to Belgium next year so I could bring some with me then. Or send them to him from Cardiff when I get back, postage shouldn't be too expensive for 4 (?) cans. Anything else Welsh just let me know!
  15. Dennoman

What good stuff has Tiny Rebel ended up bottling? Hear they mostly do cask. I think your avatar is for the Dirty Stop Out smoked stout? Had it on tap at Pratts & Payne in Streatham, very good stuff indeed and I'd like to know if they bottled it.
  16. My avatar is Cwtch! I think they might be planning to bottle Dirty Stop Out but I've never seen it anywhere.
  17. In the middle of a bottle of Two Roses Cascade, nice enough, definite metallic tang that's surplus to reqirements though.
  18. Hawkshead Lakeland Gold
    The Money I had set aside for Christmas beer treats never showed up
    so I couldn't afford anything better.

Then again, smells good... bloody tasty beer this and on sale in bottles from Tesco

19. That Harveys Christmas was a treat at £2 a bottle - wish I'd got more of them now !!!

Yeah - deal me in a Stille Nacht, I'm about to book up for our late March trip over, 22/23rd as discussed. Not decided where to stop yet but probably Ghent I think or maybe Brugge?
  20. Mikkeller Porter for me, mighty fine!
  21. Crazy, I can't seem to luck out getting any this year.

Drinking a 2010 Tsjeeses and a 18 month aged St. Bernardus 12. Can't wait to break open the 2011 Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw tomorrow.

Merry Christmas all!
  22. Dark Star Espresso and Bruery Oude Tart, pretty good interpretation of a Flemish Red.
  23. Vedett extra bland
    Oh well Finest Double IPA before bed and Satan Claws
  24. Merry Christmas and god bless us all
    even Ebenezer ReluctantScooper :p
    Dennoman, Ruds and CwrwAmByth like this.
  25. First drink of Xmas ... Pliny The Elder, it's what the big man upstairs would have wanted !
  26. A PAIR OF FECKIN WOMENS KNICKERS
    EmperorBevis and Ruds like this.
  27. Bucks Fizz to be followed by egg nog, snowballs, wassail, lambs wool, mulled wine, The Kernel hoppy numbers and a slew of IRS. Probably leading to a bout of bowking.

Merry Xmas all!
    Ruds likes this.
  28. Breakfast went: Macallan Gold, Bunnahabhain, Tallisker

Christmas with my dad is great.
    ImperialStoat and EmperorBevis like this.
  29. Brakspear Bitter

I am the poor relation
    and the christmas drinking has got to start somewhere.
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  30. Lovely beer to drink several pints of in a pub before sitting down to your Christmas dinner but not really a setpiece beer to put on a festive table.
    I'm defecting , beginning with Chablis for the starter then Chateauneuf du Pape for the goose.Perhaps a Muscat de Beaumes de Venise for the dessert. I'm a confirmed Francophile when it comes to the grape.There'll be plenty of beer consumed tomorrow.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  31. It was a replacement selection for Kelham Island Sheffield Bitter on my home shopping order :confused:
  32. Fullers Vintage '05 pre dinner

In it's prime !
    Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Ouch :(
  34. There's a bottle of Landlord at the back of the cupboard!
    Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Westmalle Tripel, quite an old bottle, nothing like the fresh one, its very spicy and hot, not great
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Mmm...Goose. Now that's what I call traditional.
  37. Is the Queen's speech usually just a summary of national sports events?
  38. Yes. Turkey is always quoted as traditional Christmas fare; it certainly wasn't about when I was a kid.Perhaps like beer styles, "traditional" doesn't actually mean very long.
    As Chateauneuf translates as "Newcastle" , can I claim to have drunk a bottle of Newcastle with my dinner?
    Bitterbill likes this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Growing up with an Austrian mother and a Hungarian father, Goose was served more often than Turkey. I wish I had found a Goose in town so I could continue *our* tradition.:(

You're killing me with the "As Chateauneuf translates as "Newcastle" , can I claim to have drunk a bottle of Newcastle with my dinner?" I seriously laughed my arse off.
  40. I thought neuf was nine?
    EmperorBevis likes this.