1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

UK Weekend Beerage

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. St Austell Clouded yellow

It was ok, bit false tasting as so many beers that have added spices and flavourings are. The only good heffe I've tasted from the UK was brewed by WEST and was as fresh as fresh can be, do any breweries here do a good bottled one that's easily available?
  2. Why bother when you can get Schneider nearly everywhere?

I detest most spiced beers. Very easy to overdo the spicing. I dread Christmas and Spoons festivals when the risk of encountering one of these concoctions is higher than usual.
  3. Those always make me wonder because at some point there must have been a person tasting it for the first time who actually thought "yep, that's the beer we should sell".
  4. Yeah I was just wondering if there was a decent bottled uk wheat beer of any description about

I liked the WEST offering but I don't think it's bottled. The only other bottled wheat beer I've tried from the uk was Flying Dutchman, a wit, and it was really rubbish.

Agreed on most spices, I think they can only work if they are in the background . Up front spice is just a novelty and a poor one at that
  5. Camden Town wheat is pretty good. OTOH it's not any better than Schneider either so I wouldn't bother with it outside London.
  6. T thought this was a beer drinking thread not a sunday circle social :p

Camden Pale to wash down me supper of reheated stew
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm gonna open and post pics of my bottle of Thomas Hardy Ale Sunday. 1991. Same year I drank and posted my review of the Eldridge Pope version in 2009 but there is no Eldridge Pope version listed on BA. They are all lumped together for O'Hanlon's.
  8. Marble's Weizen is decent, but generally I wouldn't bother with any local variant given the ready availability of German stuff.
  9. Got a couple from them myself. Had the chocolate orange stout which was quite nice, too much orange for my liking though. Well bodied and tasty too though which was a nice surprise. Got ison lined up for tomorrow though.
  10. Let me know what you think of it. I was very pleasantly surprised, given it's from a brewery I'd previously heard nothing about.
  11. Bottle of Shep Neame Goldings
    At 99p presumably brewed for last summer
    Pungent aroma, Malty with bitter finish just above average
    which considering I was expecting well below par......
  12. where the taste go?
    I sweat that this beer tempered half way thru :confused:
  13. Was in Sainsburys earlier buying some food, perused the beer selection as usual, ended up with 3 660ml bottles of punk as it's always sold out in that format. Nice and fresh too, assuming they have a 1 year bbd - it was bottled 3 weeks ago. Typical punk, pretty good value at that size.
    RendoMike likes this.
  14. I've given up on SN brews, got burned every time I went into lidl and thought their beers offered good value for money. Or the never ending supermarket own brand ones they do that are just as bad
  15. Cask Cantillon. Keg Buxton Axe Edge & Marble Earl Grey IPA. Brooklyn Sorachi Aced with Garrett Oliver.

Not too shabby for a Friday ;)
  16. Jenning's Sneck Lifter and SNPA....

17. I'm sorry, you can't taunt us with that then not tell us where.

You weapon :eek:
  18. why doesn't this have an edit button:oops:

Oh it does but must be time dependent
  19. Did they chop him up and put him in a Randall? Seems rather cruel. On the other hand, I am sure it's how he'd want to go.
    ReluctantScoop likes this.
  20. This afternoon consisted of a Partizan Big Red Saison and their soon to be released coriander saison (4.something %, great lasting dry finish on it). Then up to Kernel for a half of the excellent Mosaic Simcoe IPA. Excellent beer and nicer that the straight Mosaic one that was going about recently (too heavy on the lime).
  21. This must be how Jack the Ripper poured beer
    [​IMG]
    RendoMike likes this.
  22. Goldings Marston single hop
    more honey & less bitter than the shep
    which is a shame coz I don't like honey but I do like bitter
  23. Where was the Cantillon?
  24. Medieval's Priest Hole, a Mint Choc Chip stout that is enjoyably strange.
  25. Bah, priest holes are Tudor, not bally Medieval!
  26. Cantillon was on at Sheffield Tap. Others were at SIBA Beer-X in Sheffield, one of the best industry days I've been to.

Today: Buxton Jaw Gate (kegged APA), Thornbridge Kipling, Buxton Black Rocks and Hardknott Azimuth (bottled).

And not really pissed off about England not winning the Six Nations*

* actually really pissed off
  27. Tudor mint choc beer and it wasn't called Henry the after Eighth
  28. Just had a Partisan Galaxy Saison, now moving onto a mainstay: Kernel Export India Porter.

SUCH. A. GOOD. PORTER.
  29. Oh to hell with it
    let's get this Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer opened
    Damn Fine Coffee!
  30. Is that the black IPA or the imperial stout? And how is it?
  31. It's the Imperial stout
    it is like Cocoa Irish'ed up
    I now know why people pay over £10 for bottle of beer
    I am checking I can get another bottle right now.
  32. From Beers of Europe? Actually, you can get 24 bottles right now.
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  33. it is where I got my one
    I can't afford one right now.
    24 woah 24
    that would be the most epic thing ever!
  34. You could dump it all into one of those child-sized, inflatable swimming pools and wash yourself in it in the middle of the road.
    jazzyjeff13 and EmperorBevis like this.
  35. Holy Moses. Now drinking Tiny Rebel's Baby's Got a Temper, and it is surprisingly wonderful. Really nice candied quality to it. Shame it's only available in limited quantities.
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  36. Got some Hot Boxes ("Smoked Indian Ale") left from last year, if you fancy one just bm me your address. Don't mind spreading the Tiny Rebel love! Anyway Bevis, Zimbo and Ruds liked theirs :p
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  37. That's very kind of you, but between this, Koochie, and Billabong Aussie Summer Ale, consider me part of the converted.
  38. Fair enough! Offers open to anyone really, BB is June this year so either this or I guzzle them all.
  39. I didn't like mine
    I frickin' loved it!
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  40. Opened one just now. Almost no hops apart from a general bitterness but now a pretty nice smokey sweetness dominating.