1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

UK Weekend Beerage

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Last night £11.99 for 75cl this afternoon £1.49 for 75cl
    Whoregarden Rosee
    do I taste artificial sweetener? :mad:

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  2. Weekend almost over - boooo!

Currently supping a Landlord.....

I've got one of these - can't wait!

3. OK, currently on Dunham Massey's Chocolate Cherry Mild. Interesting....

Also, is no one drinking on St. Paddy's day? Or am I just the only one who isn't down the pub :)

4. I had the Hoe lotta Rosie and that is the last beer in the house that isn't being aged :/

5. I would 'unlike' your post if I could. I'm fortifying myself for Monday with a Guinness FES....

6. Well, I've had a Fyne Avalanche and looking at the weather outside and and the chills inside I'm thinking that bomber of Espresso Yeti ain't gonna last the night let alone until the next tasting.

7. Elmtree Nightlight Mild from Norfolk and Crouch Vale Yakima Gold from Essex.

The first one was the most flavoursome mild I've had yet, texture like an imperial stout, and a massive taste of liquorice. The Yakima Gold is also brilliant, a bit watery but massively hoppy for a real ale.

Much love for them both.

8. Did you have that Ison?

9. DAMN YOUR BLACK HEART.

10. Stones Bitter. Meh....

11. Herta Jumbos & 75cl Leffe Brune

But in my own way, I am emperor.
    Hail to the emperor, baby.

12. Don't know why I'm drinking tonight but

Opening a bottle of Moor Beer company's Old Freddy Walker whilst listening to The Kills "Fuck the People"

13. Proper Job. It's pretty good actually - if a supermarket near me sold this then I'd buy it regularly....

EmperorBevis likes this.
  14. Duly noted & when I remember where I saw it
    I will buy it

15. St. Austell do actually do some gorgeous stuff. I thought Smugglers Vintage Ale was amazing.

16. Essay finished, onto the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter then Magic Hat Heart of Darkness. Should go to bed but WANT MORE STOUT.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. Now a severe case of "if i drink it now i won't have it later". Settling for Crate IPA and cheese.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  18. ** scowling at my bottles and muttering "hurry up & age yer complete set of bastards yer" **

fuseboy likes this.
  19. Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale. Huge flavours here. Blown my socks off.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  20. And tonight, a bottle of Dogfish Head Red and White. It's been sitting tight for a couple of months and tonight's the night it gets opened

21. On the Stout and Porter Stroll in Nottingham this lunchtime. Began with Nottingham Brewery's Sooty Stout , 4.7% ABV and all the better for being served with no charge in the Test Match. Then a pint of Harold Larwood from the Castle Rock Brewery , excellent stuff at 4.2% at the Stratford Haven. On to the Wetherspoons flagship pub , the Trent Bridge Inn, where there were five black beers on sale.Navigation Stout, brewed just across the river,came first then two brews from the Nutbrook Brewery.Craic at 4.7% was superb and the pick of the day and Black Beauty at 5% was pretty good too. Time to call it a day as I had to get home by bus............

22. De Dochter van de Korenaar Charbon - actually lovely stuff, a lot better than I was expecting.

23. After the Espresso Yeti I think I'll opt for the tamer Fyne Hurricane Jack tonight. Regardless of what it is called.

24. Tonight - Arcobräu Winterbier. So far, so meh....

25. Going to try and make a beef and ale stew with Ludlow Dark Knight, then a couple of coffee stouts in Thornbridge Thorny Goat and Rooster's Londinium.

26. About to have an Atlas Latitude Pilsner with a schnitzel.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. It's turned out quite nice, just a bit sweet (see the note at the bottom) and the beef is really tender. Here's what I did if anybody's interested (it's an adapted jamie oliver one i found online):

Beef and ale stew, recipe for 2 servings (pair with boiled and halved potatoes or add dumplings) or one comfort food style serving if you're a fat bastard like me

stewing Beef (enough for two people)
    half a tin of chopped tomatoes (used one with onion and garlic)
    one small tin of chopped carrots
    half a pint of stout (use a nicely balanced engish stout or a dry stout - jamie oliver suggested Guinness)
    garlic pepper
    olive oil (a glug or two for frying at the start)
    flour (one teaspoon)

1. fry carrots and a small sprinkle of garlic pepper in oil on a medium-high heat until sizzling
    2. dump in beef and flour
    3. dump in tinned tomatoes and beer
    4. put the lid on and wait until it is boiling (otherwise the stew will be alcoholic and bitter), then turn the heat down to low, and simmer (make sure it's just bubbling gently) for 3 hours
    5. for a thicker stew, remove the lid half an hour before it's finished

note: this comes out with quite a sweet stew, so season with salt and pepper to taste as you serve it

28. Fairly stuffed still and still reasonably cold. A 15 year old Dalwhinnie beckons.

29. Started with an I&G blonde that I had kicking around and now I'm sampling their Winter Treacle Porter.

30. An interesting one from Brains Craft, Weiss Weiss Berry. Seems to be their Weiss Weiss Baby wheat beer with the addition of some "summer berries". It's alright, very yeasty and a bit more sour than usual due to the berries. Bananas and cloves still dominate though.

31. Onward and upwards......Brewdog's Libertine Black Ale. Tasty stuff!

32. Finishing off a 7 hour essay writing session with a pint of Roosters Londinium coffee porter. (i started it with a pint of regular coffee)

33. Currently drinking a Thornbridge Kipling that was bottled three weeks ago. Nice job with the freshness, Waitrose, nice job.

34. Home choice is low so it's probably Inveralmond Ossian until the inevitable re-stock.

35. Brewdog Cocoa Psycho for me. You tried it yet?

36. Nope. What's it like?

37. Hugely bitter from a ton of cocoa and coffee, and a lot of alcohol too (not too strong a taste for 10% I guess). It looks brilliant though. Not sure but at the moment I'm leading towards a 3.5-ish score. There's nothing that bad about it but there's nothing that jumps out at me as being great, no really strong flavours or a 'wow factor' like you'd get from something like Black Albert. Definitely worth a try if you don't mind the £3-4 price tag though.
    [​IMG]

Zimbo likes this.
  38. Thornbridge Kipling. Marble Lagonda IPA. Buxton High Tor. Buxton Imperial Black.

No lunch. My face is becoming numb. My face is benumbing.

39. Spent a day's wages for the job I haven't started yet on Brooklyn Black Ops. Disappointed - it's thin and tastes of Jack and coke mixed with white wine. Alright if it was a little over a tenner, but by God it's overpriced.