1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ultimate Beer Fridge.

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by KDenny, Dec 18, 2012.

1. KDenny

KDenny Initiate (20) Dec 18, 2012

Hi Everyone!

My husband is amazing and deserves a great beer fridge. He LOVES a variety of beers. Therefore, I would like to get him something with non-permanent shelves to accommodate the larger bottles/he hates putting bottles on their sides. Additionally, temperature control is key (he comes home from work and leaves his beers on the counter until they are the "right" temperature to drink...having them the correct temperature immediately would be awesome. He's pretty serious about his beer.

I am very interested in something with a glass door/stainless look.

Any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  2. [​IMG]

This mine, it is a 17 cf freezer with a temerature controller. It is a great beer fridge, but it does not fit the glass / stainless look.
  3. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Check out beveragefactory.com. Should be able to get some ideas there.
  4. A bit pricey (you didn't say what kind of budget you're working with), but this may be exactly what you're looking for:
    http://www.sears.com/frigidaire-com...4603820000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

You might also take a look at any number of wine coolers ('Free Standing Wine Cellars') to see if you can do something with the shelves. I believe they lend themselves to laying the bottles on their sides, but some may offer other options:
    http://www.wineenthusiast.com/wine-enthusiast-classic-wine-cellar-(166-bottle).asp

Indeed, depending on the price, a vendor might be willing to tweak the shelf configuration to suit your particular needs.
  5. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (705) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Wy wife bought me a Danby wine fridge with removable shelves a few years ago, I think it ran about $300 - 350. I can pulled out all but one shelf and can fit about 16 tall bottles on the bottom shelf and on the second shelf I can fit as bombers or small bottles. It works pretty well.
  6. KDenny

Thank you all so much for the feedback and suggestions! It's greatly appreciated!
  7. KDenny

8. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

[​IMG]
    I got this off Craigslist for like 400.00 I think. It was used but the guy owned a bar and needed a bigger cooler for his beers. This has removable racks and stores about 350 12oz bottles in it. I have the bottom Joe for my glasses and bombers although not shown in the pick. I would say you could pick one if these up the same way if going for the glass door idea.
  9. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (390) New York Sep 1, 2004

nope.
    unfortunately, that is a wine fridge and it has a few drawbacks.

the wire shelves are described as remobvale, but that is not the same as adjustable. these shelves are usually designed to hold wine bottles, not 12 ounce bottles , so beer bottles have to be crammed in. it is not a sin to lay beer bottles flat but it's not ideal, and it makes finding the bottle you want a chore.

it is likely this fridge uses an electric type cooling system. there is no hump like most dorm fridges and it is vibration free, good for wine. but it will have anemic chilling capacity. it is listed as cooling to 43 degrees, which is just servicable for beer and probably generous. it is a two zone system as well, so if zone 2 cant get to 43 it is not very useful. my wine fridge can only manage 48 which is plenty cold for wine.

it is a Haeir. some people have this brand and have found them to be ok. many people find the appliance to be pretty crappy. cheap cheap cheap hardware. prone to breaking. not reliable and not recommended. not for this kind of money.
    sorry to bring you down at Christmas. it is an honest opinion.
    Cheers.
  10. I won't argue with that, though it may not be an issue. "6 Flat Chrome Storage Racks" suggests that this may be ok. You would definitely want to look at it, though.
    Not sure why "anemic chilling capacity" is an issue, unless you're in a hurry. 43 is fine for most of my beers. Indeed, for the 'special' beers (DIPAs, Barleywines, etc), I tend to go closer to 50. Not so good for Coors Light, but, frankly, it's never been an issue for me ;) Nevertheless, temperature something to be considered.
    For $400+ this is a valid point. While there are something like 3 manufacturers of consumer level refrigerators and freezers in the world, and this may, indeed, be identical to a Viking, Haier is generally considered to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Not definitive, but something to consider, nonetheless.
  11. xpertskir

xpertskir Zealot (85) Illinois Feb 11, 2010

Id scout craigslist and local "failed business" auctions to find something like that bar display the guy above posted.

If you dont have time to be patient then you can certainly find something that will wokr but you will pay much more.

ALso, for temperature control. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPav_KCsrLQCFck7MgodmGEAuQ

This is a decent price, take note that it is fully wired, you can buy them cheaper but have to do the wiring yourself.

If you buy it pre wired its idiot proof temp control.
  12. billandsuz

i just don't think a fridge that gets to 43 is good enough. 43 is tolerablle for drinking, often preferable even. but the appliance should be able to hold lower than that. if your kitchen refrigerator could only get to 43 you would notice. wine chillers usually have a thermoelectric chiller plate and im assuming this one does as well. its a flat plate of metal that gets cold on one side and hot on the other when voltage is applied. they work great in small applications like a 12V box for your car or on top of a CPU. there is no hump for the compressor which is important in a wine box. this technology is not good for serious cooling imo and they aren't used in any real fridges.

i hear what you are saying about appliance manufacturers. they pretty much all suck these days. Haier is its own company though and they have had their share of problems recently. some google of the brand will turn up alot of issues. a classic example of made in China for the lowest possible price out the door. Home Depot does have a good return policy, but Haeir is really substandard from everything i have seen - which is admittedly not so very much.
    Cheers.
  13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

...Why? The entire point of getting a climate-controlled fridge is to age at cellar temperature, which is around 55. If you want to store beer at fridge temperatures, just, uh, get a fridge. Like one in a kitchen. Pretty sure they're a fuckton cheaper than something that regulates temperature precisely also controls humidity.

Also, not all wine fridges use Peltier coolers, many have compressors. Regardless, my wine fridge does have a Peltier cooler and it works fine. It has no trouble maintaining 55 even in summer.

Oh, and I guess one more, my kegerator is a Haier and has been a champ so far. Nothing shoddy about it, seems very well designed and it has worked great.
  14. billandsuz

what is the entire point, again for those who have not bothered to read?
    this is not a thread about cellaring beer.

this might pain you, why im not sure, but you are maiking my point about getting a refigerator instead of a wine cooler. little problem with reading comp perhaps. not sure.
    Cheers.
  15. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

In the OP she specifically said he was putting beer on the counter to heat up to temp to drink... I suppose he could be going to some "colder than cellar but warmer than fridge" temp, but far more likely he's going to recommended cellar temp.

But nice job just pointlessly insulting me.
  16. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Savant (395) Florida Nov 16, 2005

Get a wine refrigerator and strip out the curvy shelves and put in some flat ones so the beverage can be stored upright. Walah!
    If that doesn't work buy some land in a temperate climate region with a hilly terrain, perhaps 5-8 meters of elevation differential. Select a nice high elevation of the land and build a cave deep into the earth that will maintain a constant 45-55 degree F temperature. Throw up some shelves and.....Walah! Man cave with optimum beer storage.
    BigGene, SnakeOil and victory4me like this.
  17. [​IMG]
    Untitled by DaveHack, I have this. Got on CL for $300. It maintains 50 degrees without any temp controller...love it. With the current configuration (3 shelves for large format, 1 for 12 oz) I can hold 300+ bottles
  18. Can you provide more info on your nice score? Manu? Model?
  19. This

43 is plenty cool for most beer styles, probably too low for heavier ones. Unless you're tapping the rockies or drinking a "cold filtered" seltzer beer, this is a nonissue.
  20. Agreed. My wife was kind enough to allow me some space in her 'anemic' wine cooler for the heavy stuff - perfectly adequate for that. But it's nice to have the flexibility to go lower, particularly when I'm serving Wheats, Cream Ales, and other summertime beers that just scream 35F. I don't think I'd settle for 43 as a lower limit.
  21. billandsuz

the point is not that beer should be drank at 43 degrees. or 53 degrees. a fridge that can only chill to 43 degrees is anemic. if you intend to hold your beer near 45 or 50 degrees it will run virtually non stop. and if you load it with room temperature beer expect it to hum for a long time. also, i am suspicious of this Haier appliance because these wine chillers are often equipped with a piezoeletric cooler. if so it could take a few months and possibly years to get down to the 40's.

the speed limit is only 65 mph in NY, but i sure don't want a vehicle that can't go any faster than 65 mph.
  22. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Do I need to go here again. This is false, very false. There are more than a dozen manufacturers of residential refrigerators. Appliance pro here. Haier is less than the bottom. Chinese junk.
  23. You corrected me and I acknowledged my misinformation in another thread on Jan 22. The post you're replying to here was a month before that. I didn't know I was wrong yet.
  24. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Crap! This is an old thread. Didn't notice that. Sorry!!
  25. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

Yes. I want this.
  26. I really don't have an exact model, the labels were removed before i got it. If your score CL, you'd be bound to eventually find one similar
  27. assman79

assman79 Savant (430) Wisconsin May 30, 2009

[​IMG]
    I got two of these off craigslist for 200 each.
    DrewSimm, djaeon and mikehartigan like this.
  28. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

Wifey bought me this one for my birthday:

[​IMG]

Took out the top and middle shelves. Remaining two shelves hold 50 bottles/cans upright (with space for a couple more cans on the bottom).
  29. What search terms on CL do you use?
  30. assman79

assman79 Savant (430) Wisconsin May 30, 2009

True cooler
  31. Are those the coolers they have for beverages in the checkout aisles of grocery stores? If so that's ideally what I'm looking for :)
  32. raczkowski

Yes they are the ones at grocery stores. I have two coolers similar
    To this. One I got off Craigslist for 400 but it has slider doors rather than the hinge doors. The second one is hinge door and came from publix. Ill show pics of both.

Look on Craigslist but also pay attention to gas stations. I've seen some
    Coolers that just sit without being plugged in. The gas stations don't pay for them so
    U may be able to offer 100 bucks to the owner (especially if Indian owned).

[​IMG]

This is the one I paid 400 for. It houses my beers I will drink regularly and want to keep colder.

[​IMG]

This is the one my buddy gave me from publix. It is on its earnest setting and maintains about 50-55degrees so i use it for cellarable beers. If I want to pop one of these at colder temp I just move itto the other cooler.

I'm hoping my electric bill doesn't sky rocket with the second cellar cooler. Either way I am pretty happy with my set up.
  33. I think ideally I would like a cooler like the second one you posted. I just worry about transporting it back to my place (I don't have a truck :p).
  34. raczkowski

I have laid many coolers down. This one fit in my trailblazer easily.LKay it down and when u get it to your place just let it sit for a few hours to allow the oil to drain back down. I think these have all the parts for cooling in the bottom so u don't have to worry about damaging anything on the sides. I could be completely wrong here but this one has been laid down many times and still works like a champ.
  35. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

at the risk of asking a dumb question, for those of you with those fancy beverage coolers, aren't you concerned about light striking your beers?
  36. do the temperature regulators work on the true coolers?