1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Uncarbonated Stouts?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Sunhunters, Apr 1, 2012.

1. My home-brewing buddy and I spaced out in a major way a couple weeks ago when bottling our extra-hopped imperial stout. We had several friends with us that are brewing novices and we wanted them to get a hands on experience during the bottling process, but in the commotion we completely forgot to add priming sugar to our beer before bottling it.

The first beer I cracked open to inspect was visually disappointing as I poured it, there wasn't any head on it whatsoever. As I tried to wrap my head around what went wrong, I decided to give it a swig; amazingly, it was delicious as ever. Though totally flat, the beer has such a strong body and rich flavor (imagine a Sublimely Self-Righteous by way of Old Rasputin) that it was supremely enjoyable. I just cracked another bottle to enjoy today before heading off to work.

I have been toying with the idea of recollecting all the beer from the bottles, priming it, and re-bottling it, but I honestly enjoy the current, flat version quite well.

I suppose I just wanted to pass along the experience to the community at large. Has anyone had a similar experience with uncarbonated beers?

2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

What's the abv? Haha I love that you drank one before going to work, champion!

Sunhunters likes this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I have no problem with stouts being uncarbonated. I tend to have more issues with them being over carbonated.

Gushue3 and bifrost17 like this.
  4. I have no issues with beers being flat. The four pack of Palo Santo Marron I recently had had virtually no carbonation. It surprised me. Flat yes, but loved it regardless. Became my favorite brown ale then and there.

Salud!

5. Serpent's Stout is almost completely flat, but I think it's one of Lost Abbey's better beers.

6. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

If you want to carbonate I would recommend using the priming tabs instead of pouring and re-bottling, I think they would be a heckuva lot easier than pouring and rebottling and would reduce the exposure to oxygen.

7. We did it with a Belgian Quad once. We had a friend over who paid for the batch of beer to be made and said he'd split it with us. Before chilling we started to add water to the bucket and he got pissed saying that the alcohol would go down. We gently reminded him about the properties of beer, but he didn't care. He made us stop over a gallon short...we knew what would happen, but oh well, free beer. Except, we ended up with an amazing 20% Port, no carbonation :)

8. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

All I can say if the a stout with no carbonation is better than a stout with no carbonation and priming sugar.

9. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Wait...you're not Tomme, are you?

Riggsy likes this.
  10. I work with a Tome, why do you ask?

11. We lost the paper we wrote the OG on (we need to drink less when we brew)... but I believe it was around 1.090 which would put the ABV around 9.8%.

bifrost17 likes this.