1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Under appreciated/under produced beer styles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BottleCaps80, Feb 15, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Just had a bottle of Freigeist Abraxxxas the other night, which is the best Berliner Weisse I've ever had. I love the balance of yeasty wheat, with a tart/sour finish and it got me wondering why more breweries don't brew this style of beer. It is a very approachable style with a lower ABV that would make it a good intro into craft beer for newbs, yet still have the depth and complexity to attract craft beer lovers (especially the Abraxxxas, which has a slight smokey/peaty taste too). It just seems like an under appreciated beer style.

What are some other beer styles you don't see many breweries making, which you would like to see more of?
    maltyhops likes this.
  2. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I'd like to see more American brewers take a stab at making an English-style bitter that weighs in at no higher than 4.0% abv.

Failing that, I'd like to be able to find more English-proper bitters at my local beer emporia. But alas, what I've read here and elsewhere indicates that it's not a style that travels well.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Abraxxxas might actually be a spin on a Gratzer more than a Berliner.

Personally, I want to see more dunkels. For some reason schwarzbiers are relatively popular with American craft brewers, but dunkels are few and far between. I never understood that. IMO, they're far more approachable for both normal craft drinkers and macro converts alike.
  4. IPAs and barrel-aged stouts
    Willbfun, Aml42000, Brunite and 4 others like this.
  5. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Berliner-Weisse
  6. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

7. In before someone that is inexplicably afraid of lagers comes in and says "In before the lager crowd shows up!"

EDIT: Maibock/Hellsbock and Czech Pils
    djsmith1174, Willbfun, Errto and 4 others like this.
  8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'd love a wider selection of good domestic Saisons.
    afrokaze, July2Nov, Brunite and 9 others like this.
  9. BottleCaps80

I'm not familiar with the Gratzer style, so you very well may be right that it is more similar to that than a Berliner Weisse. The bottle actually calls it a "Smoked Lichtenhainer Weisse" and the description on the bottle says it is in the Berliner Weisse style. Either way, it is an excellent German Wheat, that's for sure!
  10. josefiak

josefiak Zealot (80) Washington Jun 9, 2011

Smoked double IPA.

Hoptaneous Combustion blew my mind.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Come to Colorado, seems like everyone is brewing them here, Hell, even Spoetzl will have one out this spring...

Back on track though, weizenbock. I haven't seen too many around outside of the german beer section of the bomber rooms. I would love to see some american interpretations.
  12. jman005

jman005 Savant (460) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

Belgian IPA. Would like to see more of these.
    creal92 and fatsnowman22 like this.
  13. BottleCaps80

Great info. Thanks for the link!

I'd love to see more breweries doing that Lichtenhainer/Berliner Weisse style of sour wheat beers. Amazing style! Too bad it is almost an extinct style(s)....hope they make a booming return.
    Thorpe429 likes this.
  14. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (885) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Things have gotten quite good here in the U.S. with Hill Farmstead, Upright, Tired Hands, and others, but I would still love to see more.

I would love to see more low abv offerings in general, particularly including kolsch, "American Bitters," and berliner weiss. Low abv saisons are fantastic as well.

Finally, I would really like to see more American breweries starting to experiment with true spontaneous fermentation.
    libbey, ehammond1 and BottleCaps80 like this.
  15. BottleCaps80

Agreed there are more and more US breweries making quality Saisons. Two more to add to the list are Stillwater Artisanal Ales and Funkwerks
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  16. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Mild.
    AlcahueteJ and Tschnab like this.
  17. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Thorpe mentioned some above, but Logsdon definitely deserves a mention as well.
    Thorpe429 likes this.
  18. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Apparently I need to copy down these Saison suggestions and see what's available near me. Thanks for the info!
  19. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Kellerweiss. I was damned impressed with New Glarus' offering.

Patersbier/Enkel. No one makes them. No one seems to want to recognize their existence. We recognize Dubbel, Tripel, and Quadrupel, but not Enkel? I'd love to see a local offering in the vein of Chimay Doree.

Braggot. I've only had two; one was excellent, one was pretty good.

Irish Dry Stout. There's no love for it outside of the auld country, especially from U.S. breweries. Of course, I'd say the same thing about Irish Reds and Cream Ales. Does no one else love Kilkenny?
    Errto likes this.
  20. I'd love to see American breweries tackle, and get right, Hefes and Dunkelweizens. Sierra Nevada did right with the Kellerweis, I'd love to see them mass market a dunkel based off that recipe.
    sajaffe1 likes this.
  21. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (885) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I would say Stillwater (absolutely love Premium, Table Beer, and Brian's BA stuff), but Funkwerks hasn't wowed me with anything as of yet. I didn't have an exhaustive list, just mentioning some of my favorites. On the funky side, of course Jolly Pumpkin gets a big mention as well. And, as Eric mentions below, I was reckless in leaving out Logsdon, one of the best. I'm also a huge Oxbow fan.

Yes, absolutely Logsdon. Thank you.
    mathematizer and ehammond1 like this.
  22. Tschnab

Tschnab Savant (365) New York Aug 21, 2010

23. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

India Brown Ale
    ilikebeer03 and DrJosephOBoogie like this.
  24. Mild and other session beers.
  25. prob IPA, Double IPA, imperial stout....

ok seriously though - +1 on milds/sessions and German style beers.
  26. The other day I saw Brooklyn irish Dry Stout for sale and I was going to pounce on it but I ultimately passed.
  27. Munich Helles
    Maibock
    Zwickl
    Mild
    Munich Dunkel

more top quality versions on draught, please!
  28. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Don't let them get you too excited. Most of those breweries either don't distribute or have very limited distribution, Stillwater being the exception.

I'd say I wanted more Biere de Garde, but I've never had a domestic BdG that was any good. I'd really like to see a good biere de mars, too. With saisons finally gaining well deserved popularity amongst drinkers and brewers alike, hopefully more breweries will realize they have yet to explore the malty side of farmhouse ales.
  29. PEIhop

PEIhop Savant (400) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2010

Berliner Weiss
    BottleCaps80 and beerme411 like this.
  30. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

As has been mentioned, I'd like to try and become familiar with more of the German styles.

I'd also like to try a wider array of lagers. I know Jacks Abby, and perhaps a few others, specialize in lager varieties. I'd like to try more of it. As with many craft drinkers, I'm an ale drinker 99% of the time. But I'm still confident that lagers can be just as exciting, there just aren't that many exciting ones out there. So, while perhaps they're not very traditional styles, I'd like to see more breweries experiment with beers like India Pale Lagers, smoked lagers, black lagers, etc.
  31. brian4beer

brian4beer Savant (320) Indiana Jan 27, 2013

32. Maybe not under-produced but I wish there were more saisons, or at least more saisons available in my area.

Generally it seems German styles are under-produced. Sure, there are lots of hefes and pilsners but fewer dunkelweizens, alts, bocks, etc. out there.
  33. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Move to Madison WI. Every brewery seems to make a Maibock here.
    Bitter_Echo, trevorjk and Providence like this.
  34. Ri0

Capital Brewery in Madison WI. That is all.
    Bitter_Echo and trevorjk like this.
  35. Ri0

Black IPA's and Rye Beers, but I think these are catching on more.
  36. Send me some in PA. :)
  37. cid71

cid71 Aficionado (135) New Jersey Mar 2, 2009

38. The really true smoked beers like the master Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier

It's been years since I've had it, but maybe Alaskan Smoked Porter makes the grade.
    Smokebox_79, dar482 and TMoney2591 like this.