Under appreciated/under produced beer styles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BottleCaps80, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Under appreciated ... Brown ales and ambers. Also, Irish reds shouldn't be seasonal, make them year-round (especially Boulevard).

2. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Gruits and braggots. I'd rather see some truly unique and historical styles instead of crappier versions of styles that dominate the markets in England and Germany. Also more traditional Baltic porters rather than the "imperial porters" that are labeled as such.

Willbfun likes this.
  3. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (690) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

There are not enough Goses to satisfy my insatiable thirst for them

Willbfun likes this.
  4. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Roggenbier and Sahti.

Willbfun, TMoney2591 and DIM like this.
  5. zid

zid Savant (440) New York Feb 15, 2010

English Strong Ale
    Keller Bier / Zwickel Bier

TongoRad likes this.
  6. Speaking of English Strong Ales, try the Yards Jefferson Tavern Ale if you haven't yet; I love their yeast sig. It's quite good, and you'd never guess it's hovering at around 8%.

Willbfun and dbfp210 like this.
  7. docnose

docnose Aficionado (155) Alabama Feb 7, 2013

Porters, and barrel aged porters...

8. TravisR

TravisR Savant (355) New Jersey Dec 31, 2012

Tavern Ale is a solid brew, and a staple in my fridge. To the OP, American Strong Ales.

Willbfun and TongoRad like this.
  9. Mostly German lager styles; Dunkels, Dopplebocks, Eisbocks, Helles, Marzen.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  10. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (400) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

This guy knows what's going on.

Capital's lagers are stunning. Their Doppelbocks are the best, ditto for their Maibock.
    Sweet Jesus are they good.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  11. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Please Please release some barrel aged stouts during summer some of us don't like anything besides stout and porter no matter how hot it is outside!!!!

dar482 likes this.
  12. Second runnings/small beers/biers de table.

Droogins likes this.
  13. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

If you want German style beers, look no further than Wisconsin.

I want American Breweries to take a stab at a GOOD 5% Chezch Pilsner.

America has ruined pilsner beers for me. Luckily i live in Europe now and can have some damn good pilsners daily :)

Vonstein15 and dar482 like this.
  14. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Berliner-weiss

15. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Same goes for New Glarus's full line up of German style Lagers. Not to mention Just about every self respecting brewery in wisconsin has at least 1 or 2 different german style beers. (lake front, O'so, Central, and just about every micro brewery in existense in Wi) Wisconsin is the next best thing for German beers outside of Germany.

TheSSG likes this.
  16. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

imperial red ales.

mporter13 and Falcone like this.
  17. Eisbocks, they sound interesting!

rale and Willbfun like this.
  18. india tan ale. Think about it

19. BlackDragon

Pilsners are highly effected by the water used to brew them at least if you want a good one theirs a reason certain parts of europe does it better.

20. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

If you can get your hands on Williamsburg (VA) Alewerks Bourbon Barrel Porter, I highly recommend it. It's very bourbon forward young, but the bourbon mellows out beautifully in 6-12 months.

Chaney and docnose like this.
  21. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

English-style brown ales are horribly underrepresented. I've never understood why American breweries see fit to ruin a perfectly good brown ale by adding too much hops to it. Smuttynose Old Brown Dog comes close to scratching my itch, but this is one style I've resorted to making myself, since no commercial brewery seems to produce the beer I want.

22. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

(This is somewhat contrary to my "I hate gimmicky beers" thread)...

I'd also like to see some more play on traditional styles that don't get as much love. We see a lot of Imperial/Double IPAs, lots of Imperial and barrel-aged stouts, even a fair amount of Imperial Reds and such. I'd like to see more styles get that kind of attention. Stouts and IPAs have, by definition, strong bold flavors, so it's easier to just amplify that. A brown or a wheat or something are characterized by a more mellow balanced profile. It might be trickier to make the flavor bolder while still maintaining the balance of the styles.

There are af few examples...Nugget Nectar is an Imperial Amber if I'm not mistaken? I had an Imperial oak-aged Belgian wit from River North which I thought was awesome. It can definitely be done.

23. BlackDragon

also try Dragons Milk

24. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

God I miss roggenbier.

25. Esb, saison, Brett ipa

26. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Steam/California Common
    Bier de Garde
    Dunkel
    in addition to many others I liked above

27. docnose

I'll add it to my list! I live in Alabama so we're kind of new to this whole good beer thing...!
    I'd really like to get some Great Lakes "Edmund Fitzgerald" but can't justify driving 450 miles round trip for a six pack!!!

28. docnose

Adding to my list!

29. nolabrew

nolabrew Aficionado (160) Louisiana Apr 20, 2010

Yup. I'm amazed they're not more popular here. They're complex and very refreshing.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  30. Wheat wines. Only ever seen one or two.

ThickNStout and hardy008 like this.
  31. I feel like I can't find enough of them..

Indirectly agree, in that I wish there were fewer bullshit saisons. Seems like the "in" style for American brewers of the past couple years. Just based on perception in N.E. area at least...

32. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

KK, Broyhan, 160/-, Boys Bitter, AK, Mumme, Danziger Joppenbier, XXXX, to name a few.

33. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (735) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Bière........de........Gardes........

mecummins, jlenik and superspak like this.
  34. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse ftw!

Immortale25 likes this.
  35. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I'd like to see less American Pale Ales and American IPAs being offered and some downsizing to occer by brewers. Several I love, but just too many saturating the market in US and honestly I don't think the flavor profiles of these 2 styles really are the easiest on the pallet for the masses and other styles would sell better if more readily available and easy to gain access. Agree with most, need more English and German styles to be attempted by American craft makers.

36. Attempt not. Do, or do not! There is no attempt.

The last thing we need are more lame attempts at these styles along the lines of what we usually get from domestic 'O'fests'.

37. Any lager except AAL

38. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

I have yet to have a proper American version of a German kolsch or Czech pilsner. Hopheads don't really seem to care for them, but I just love their crisp drinkability. They have a refreshing pop and just the perfect beer for summer meals sitting outdoors.