1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Under appreciated/under produced beer styles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BottleCaps80, Feb 15, 2013.

1. You might be pleasantly surprised by Captain Lawrence's Captain's Kolsch, it's a very good take on the style and stands up to repeat drinking.

Lancaster's is a distant second these days.
    dar482 likes this.
  2. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

We need a good craft version of a malt liquor.
    afrokaze and SkippyChop like this.
  3. Beers that are 4% abv or less. Preferably in the form of Irish Dry Stouts, English bitters and English milds.

Second to that, Munich Helles. From American breweries at my local liquor store there's Stoudt's Gold and occassionally Victory Lager. Step it up American brewers, it's an INCREDIBLY drinkable style. If people love Bud Light they'll go from "6 to midnight" over a great Munich Helles.
  4. These styles have been mentioned already but:

Gose - I had one by Cigar City called Arschgeweih (German for "ass antlers") and it was quite good but I want to see other interpretations of the style.
    Braggot - Had Weyerbacher XVI and thought it was great. More breweries need to try this.
    Sahti - The only true representation I've had is Nogne's and it was dynamite. Dogfish's attempt is tasty but has too much chai to be considered a real Sahti.
  5. If I understand correctly, those things can become bottle bombs, which might explain why few make it across the pond.
  6. For sure, black IPAs. And more year long big stouts.
  7. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Zwik and English brown mild
  8. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (370) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Exactly.
    Honestly, due to freshness alone, Wisconsin is usually better than Germany.
    Even evening for that, Wisconsin gives Germany a run for the money on several brews.

I LOVE Wisconsin, hahah
    trevorjk likes this.
  9. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Kolsch, Dortmunder, Most Bocks, Berliner-Weisse, Dunkel, English Mild, ESB, Farmhouse Saison (starting to get a lil more attention but still) Pilsner, Uber Pils, Alt, gose, Helles, Marzen (until fall when, no one calls them that) If its german and its a fall/late summer seasonal its just Oktoberfest right???

Not to mention...

BA Kolsch, BA Dortmunder, BA wiese/Ur/Doppel/Mai/Hells/Ies Bocks, BA Berliner-wiesse, BA Dunkel, BA ESB, BA Saison, BA Pils, BA... you get it the idea.

and the dry hopped variants of each... and wine barrel variants...
  10. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

We only seem to get Minhaus "craft" beers and Miller macro beers in Maryland. Sorry, but Wisconsin needs to step up better beer distribution to my state as those 2 exports from Cheesehead World aren't doing your state any justice at all where I live. I'll take your word for it though, I haven't sampled the others you've mentioned.

11. I wish more breweries would do Biere de Mars as their spring seasonal.
  12. They used to be. Until Kirby left a couple of years ago. Since then their beers just haven't been the same - I heard they were adding corn into the mash. But now they're getting the guy who brewed the Leine's Big Eddy series, which is awesome. And Kirby is opening his own new brewery, which is double awesome.
  13. Central Waters Oktoberfest from last year was the best one of this style I've ever had, including German imports.
  14. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Kolsh
    Rauchbier- on that note, I had a chance to try Crown Breaker at the DFH brewpub last week. A rauch/gose hybrid born of the Sam C./Alstrom Bros collaboration. Unique and delicious!
  15. I'd like to see somebody make a (chocolate) raspberry imperial stout. Or a butterscotch bourbon barrel stout (along the lines of maple syrup bourbon barrel).
  16. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Saw the thread title and immediately thought of this style and this exact brew. The kid working at West Lakeview Liquor talked me into a bottle when I was in Chicago last month and it didn't disappoint.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  17. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Awesome. Yeah, it is a great beer and a fantastic style. Gonna pick up a few more bottles of this for the weekend I think.
  18. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

English brown mild - that's a new style for me. What's it like?
  19. You can use Reverse Osmosis water as the base water, and add the needed minerals to brew either a Czech Pils (just a little CaCl2) or a German pils (CaCl2, CaSO4 and a little Epsom salt). There are quite a few US breweries that use RO water and adjust.
  20. LieutenantDan

LieutenantDan Disciple (50) Texas Nov 18, 2012

MORE SOURS!!! MORE SOURS!!!
  21. TheSSG

Oh, I know what you mean.
    In Arizona, I got SHIT from Wisconsin.
    Keep an eye out, Lakefront has been sending out their seasonals all over!
    Their "Big Easy" Maibock, their bock, their Oktoberfest, and their Pumpkin lager are better candidates to represent the awesomeness of Wisconsin lagers!
  22. TheSSG

Well, the daily line-up seems to be okay sans Kirby, but a LOT of the new types they've been launching seem confused and silly. Kirby kept them on point; make German-style lagers that make the Germans jealous.
    When they start trying to move away from that, it's been less-than-exciting...to be honest... :/

The Big Eddy guy sounds great, so long as they keep their hands off those lagers!
  23. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

your right but doing all of this adds to the cost of making the beer and I don't care how good science is it can never match the perfect natural water.
  24. Schwartzbier, eisbocks, sahti and Irish reds.
  25. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Aficionado (230) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

More chili beers! And I want some with some damn heat for a change.
  26. I'm sure there are a few out there- but by and large these guys need to pick up their game on that front. Too bad I don't get Central Waters by me- I'd love to give that one a shot.
  27. I agree with the first part. Natural water is natural but not perfect for brewing all styles of beer. Pilsen is low in minerals, but they do an expensive tripple decoction to help the malt convert, more Calcium would help that. In Munich they have alkaline water suited for Dunkel, and they adjust to make Hellles and Pilsner.
  28. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I am surprised by the amount of shout outs to berliner weisse in this thread. 2-3 years I would 100% stand behind that statement since there was only between 60 and 90 listed examples in the database. Today we are up to almost 200 active listings which does not include the retired and ones not yet rated. I think its safe to say that berliners are really starting to catch on the past 2 years with the increased interest in sour/wilds across the board. Up until last year it was my quest to try every berliner I possibly could. Now it seems that as soon as I acquire a new one, 3 more pop up that ive never heard of.

Sure its not the most popular style but off the top of my head, at least 5 breweries come to mind that have become popular in part because of brewing a berliner that people went bonkers over. It seems like Floridas whole craft scene is exploding (at least partially?) because the style fits perfectly in their climate. Shit now they even have a yearly festival dedicated to the style.
    Thorpe429 likes this.
  29. Thevanpelt

Thevanpelt Zealot (80) Sweden Sep 6, 2012

I would like to see more Lichtenhainer, Gose and Berline Weisse's! But I think we're seeing a shift for these styles with Westbrook, Night Shift, Funky Buddha, Jopen, Freigeist etc.
  30. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I'll put a nod in for Weizenbock. You get alcohol, spice, lots of malt, and yeast complexity all at once. A great example is pure heaven.... but there aren't that many great examples out there, especially American versions.
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  31. patto1ro

Jopen brewed a Gratzer, not a Lichtenhainer, Gose or Berliner Weisse.
  32. Thads324

Low abv, sessionable brown ale made with hard water. Think a much better tasting, lighter bodied newcastle
  33. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Looks like a few people beat me to it but Koelsch and ESB are two styles I would like to see more of (really more imports of them as American breweries can't quite seem to get them).

Both excellent styles that deserve more respect.
  34. Mother fuckin' Scotch ales/Wee heavys
    English dark milds
    ricochet173 likes this.
  35. patto1ro

And who brews this beer? I've never come across a beer called that in Britain.
  36. Thads324

English dark mild, same difference
  37. Thevanpelt

Thevanpelt Zealot (80) Sweden Sep 6, 2012

Oh, my bad. I thought that they had brewed Son of a Batch with MoM witch is a Dark Gose.