1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Under the radar venues in your area?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by MrKennedy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Obviously when going through the Beer Guides for Sydney and Melbourne there aren't a ton of reviews of places. Then using the Directory for places outside, there aren't a lot of reviews anyway...i thought i'd try and find out about some places in everyone's area that have good beer selections to hit up on travels that maybe others haven't heard about. Obviously it'd be great if all had reviews and more of them etc, but forsaking that...

I'd put forward:

The Albion in Wickham (Newcastle). Had over 500 beers on through their 10 taps and 2 handpumps last year. One of the few places outside Canberra to get Wig & Pen kegs. Just a normal pub with an abnormally solid range.

Union Hotel, Newtown (Sydney). All the craft taps are Australian, good mix of local and interstate. Really cheap prices and 5 min walk from a train station.

Any good places to check out elsewhere (Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart/Launny, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney etc)?

2. I'll second the vote for The Albion. A proper old school inner suburban pub that has gone 100% Craft and really prospered. My understanding from them is that last year was their biggest trading year and that is a pub with a long history.

Let there be many more like it all around the country. Genuine pubs going Craft is hopefully a big part of the future for beer in Aus and a good sign of our growing and changing scene. A couple of other pubs in Newie are following suit if not 100% craft yet.

Shawn

MrKennedy likes this.
  3. MrKennedy

Is that the Clarendon and Mary Ellen or some of the places in Honeysuckle?

4. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised at the East Village Balmain. Not a huge taplist but well thought out. pacific ale hop hog a couple of mountain goats and a few others I cant recall

MrKennedy likes this.
  5. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

No where in Perth.

6. I've been to this little unassuming place called, wait, was it Frankies Pizza ...

revdrjbob likes this.
  7. Kraeusen

Kraeusen Zealot (80) Maine Oct 20, 2012

Edit: I got to this thread via the "current threads" and did not realize the catagory was New Zealand! Sorry..Come visit Maine sometime..Cheers!

The Lion's Pride. Brunswick Maine. /thread
    http://www.lionspridepub.com/
    Check out their tap handles!

Here is their current on tap list:
    1- Southern Tier IPA
    2- Sierra Nevada Big Foot 09
    3- Alvinne Melchior
    4- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    5- St. Feuillien Saison
    6- t Smisje Kerst
    7- DFH Midas Touch
    8- Old Guardian
    9- Struise Wild Pannepot
    10- t'Smisje Worstyntje
    11- Hofstetten Granit Bock
    12- Jan de Litche
    13- Mikeller Amarillo
    14- Mikeller Centennial
    15- Mikeller Nugget
    16- Twilsburg Dutch Brown
    17- Mikeller Green Gold
    18- Mikeller Warrior
    19- DFH 90 Min IPA
    20- Anchor Steam
    21- Einecker Pils
    22- BFM La Mandragore
    23- Duchesse de Bourgogne
    24- Schneider Origional Weisse
    25- Reissdorf Kolsch
    26- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    27- Banhoff Berliner Weisse
    28- Brewdog Hardcore IPA
    29- Allagash White
    30- Cuvee des Jacobins
    31- Stone Ruination
    32- Oud Beersels Framboise
    33- St. Louis Framboise
    34- Smuttynose Graviation
    35- Eel River Amber

8. trumpy

trumpy Aficionado (115) Australia Apr 21, 2008

I guess it is not really under the radar with Mountain Goat just round the corner, but the Royston Hotel always has a great selection of real craft on tap. food has never disappointed me either.

9. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I need to get to the Union more frequently. But yeah, it's always been a fun venue and very crafty by Sydney standards.

Frankie's is cool too, but they need to fix the pinball machines

Edit: Oh yeah East Village too. Nice taplist last (and only) time I've been

10. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

PICA bar has SNPA on tap and Torpedo going on tap this weekend. That is about as good as it gets over here in Perth and the surrounding suburbs.

Pour House in Dunsborough is the best bar in the country, just in the wrong place.

11. MrKennedy

Ebenezer's seems like reason enough, but you've given me another one.

12. Kraeusen

Kraeusen Zealot (80) Maine Oct 20, 2012

If you did not already know..same owners. Different type of venue however.

13. There are two problems as i see it here:-
    1. Lack of reviews
    2. Use of search suburbs which may or may not mean much
    For instance, I just added a couple of reviews for venues in East Brunswick - or it that Brunswick East? Anyways, they do not easily show up on a search for Melbourne. Sometimes yes, but sometimes no.

Anyways, under radar shout outs to Frankie's Pizza and Baxter Inn for Sydney, the Monk in Freo, and Alehouse Project in Melbourne.

To help the reviews along, I have shifted mon lazy derriere and got typing as well, on some of the places I recently visited. All helps......