1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Underpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by maximumu13, Nov 19, 2012.

1. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

I was looking for some backwoods bastard yesterday and came across some Expedition Stout for 9.99 a six pack. Lets hear/see what deals you guys have gotten recently.

DonDirkA likes this.
  2. We don't have these "deals" you speak of in my area unfortunately.

3. Great deal for the Expedition. I've only seen it for approx $15 around here. Go back and stock up.

4. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

I already bought all they had, 3 6 packs

5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Damn! I think I paid $15.99 for mine and it was worth it.

I'm not as impressed with SN Celebration as most people on here but I can get it for $!3.99 a 12 pack. SN Northern Hemisphere is soooooo much better.

6. I once bought 8 bombers of Oak Aged Yeti for $4.99 a piece. #goodbuy

7. I think I got one for 6 bucks once. Pretty much one and done as it was a total Oak bomb! The bottle was only a year old too...

joeseppy likes this.
  8. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

8.99 for Hoppin Frog BA Boris (the clerk failed to realize that it was the BA version), and GI Lolita 7.99 were my best buys that I found

(two different liquor stores)

9. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (760) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

Went to a bar with some coworks the other week and they had Southern Tier Creme Brulee for $3.50 bomber, very happy when I saw that on the bill :)

Stinger80OH and vcolaizzi like this.
  10. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

4 park of dark horse perkalator for 0.89 cents. Yup

11. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

My girlfriend and I found a bunch of Allagash Curieux at $7.50 each. We were fairly sure the store just dropped a leading 1, but we bought three.

12. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

$6.97 for 6 packs of Torpedo & PA at Dominick's in Chicago.

khall62 likes this.
  13. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (495) New York Dec 17, 2010

it wasn't recently but I saw last year's Firestone Walker Anniversary beer priced at 9.99, and I told the store they were mis priced without buying any ...not sure how I feel about this looking back...o_O

joedevivre, Jnorton00 and DevilsCups like this.
  14. 6-pack of BigFoot. In this sixpack this past Monday during my visit to Chico at Kwikee Mart off HWY 99:
    2 bottles 2006
    2 bottles 2007
    2 bottles 2008

Price = $7.99 + Tax.

Right afterwards, pop into the SN Brewery:

Bottles of Brandy Barrel Aged Ovila Quad & Wine Barrel aged Ovila Dubbel = $5.50 per "about" 12oz bottles each.

BOOYA!!!!!!!

15. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Bought Supplication at a bar in Philly on business this year for $8. Bartender said there was something up because they usually sell for $20+. Score.

16. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

No kidding. Some "nice" examples include KBS for $20/bottle, Frangelic Mountain Brown $26/bottle, WWS $19/bottle

17. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for $3.99 a bomber. Can't really beat that (although I tend to think all bombers should be no more than the $8 mark).

CapeCodHopHead likes this.
  18. Bought a rodenbach vintage 07 for 7 bucks

Chelsea1905 likes this.
  19. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Came here to mention the one I bought for $10 but damn son, you win!

CrisLin likes this.
  20. Got some Trappist Rochefort 10 at whole foods for $1.69. Got 4...

21. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

SN Narwhal 4 pack for $3.99

I want $10 Expedition :(

Stinger80OH likes this.
  22. Where the Hell
    I could not be more jealous of you. That said, I did find Life and Limb for $7.99 a little while back. The store I went to had it in the "old" section of the store. Apparently they did not realize that the age actually made it more valuable and coveted.

jhartley likes this.
  23. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

at one of the create your own 6 packs at my local kroger I was able to get 6 DFH 90's for under 10 bucks. 1 of them ended up being pretty old and gross, but the other 5 were fine. Funny that a 4 pack usually costs 10 bucks or slightly more around here, yet they had it in the create your own 6 pack area.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  24. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I found that Narwhal at Total Wine right when it came out here. I think they had Hoptimum in at $3.99 to clearance it but no one changed it back to full price (and Narwhal and Hoptimum share a SKU like many seasonals)

I do this all the time. I was actually planning on going back and getting a 6 pack of Narwhal from the Frys (which is Kroger for us) for $8.99 instead of $8.99 for the 4 pack as usual. This is how I got my 6 pack of Lil Sumpin Wild for $8.99 instead of 11.99

BrownAleMale likes this.
  25. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Savant (385) California Jul 16, 2003

I think this category has to begin and end with Avec Les Bons Voeux.

An imperial saison bursting with tropical fruit, butter, and magic, and for less than ten dollars a bottle anywhere in the United States? What could possibly compare?

Honorable mention for underpriced beers that could possibly compare in terms of quality to price point: Victory Hop Wallop, Stone Ruination, Victory Prima Pils, Victory Old Horizontal, really, anything by Victory . . .

MrOH and pixieskid like this.
  26. Scored two bottles of Fruet At $18.99 a piece.

Picked up about 8 - 10 11.2 ounce bottles of scaldis noel at $1.87 a piece. Regularly what, 5$-$6 a bottle (at least in my overpriced area)?

jglowe77 and Stinger80OH like this.
  27. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Had several $5 12oz pours of La Folie last week. Same place was charging $5 for 12 oz of NB Abbey. ???

28. I know it's retail, but Heady Topper at $11.99 a 4pak is the deal of the century.

29. Golden blend at $20 in VT thanks to Hill being the importer, not Shelton. Still high for a 375, but its golden blend...

30. $10/six pack of the best oatmeal stout made in the US aka Ipswich Oatmeal Stout

TWStandley likes this.
  31. the guy said that it was sitting there too long and he just wanted to get rid of it...if I had known how good it actually was I would have bought them all instead of one. To no surprise they were gone the next I stopped by.

32. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I get my Zombie Dust for free. My girlfriend's husband buys gallons of it. One day I hope I get the chance to thank him.

33. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I bought a few bottles of cascade sang noirfor like $14 each at a bar thanks to their to go discounts

34. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Your Girlfreind's Husband? If you ever do thank him for the beer, try not to mention your dating his wife...

35. Shelton still imports it; Hill Farmstead/Grassroots is the distributor in VT. There's another tier of markup you're not accounting for...

36. chalupa_batman

chalupa_batman Aficionado (120) Nov 18, 2012

yesterday I found 2 different Fort Brewing lagers in 750ml bottles for 2.50 each. Apparently the guy told me they under charged him for the case so he was selling it dirt cheap. He's kind of creepy and weird but he was awesome to talk to for sure!!

37. Thanks for the correction

38. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I hate you. Wow.

Found some Life N Limb II for $4.99 a bottle locally about six months ago, bought all nine bottles. Another local place put North Coast's Grand Cru on clearance for $6.59 a bottle, bought a case of that (it retailed for $13.99). Also about a year ago I found the original three Moa beers, Blanc, Original, and the other one (?), marked at $6.99 per, guy gave me half off if I bought all three. I did easily.

39. WAITWHAT? Girlfriends husband?

40. Last year a local shop had Buy A Case, Get A Case Free of Sierra Nevada Summerfest. This was late in the year, but still mighty tasty.

Electros and CurtFromHershey like this.