1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Underpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by maximumu13, Nov 19, 2012.

1. 6.99 six pack of Brown Shugga.

2. 6 pack of Zombie Dust for $10 at the FFF brewery. No idea what it sells for retail but it's sooo good that $10 seems like a deal.

Kubrickx likes this.
  3. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I got a 1/6 barrel of Deschutes Chainbreaker for $30. Someone ordered it from my local liquor/beer store, paid a $50 deposit, and never picked it up. The store tried contacting them, left messages, etc, for 3 weeks. No reply. So the owner called me and asked me if I wanted the keg for the balance due... which was $30.

4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Binny's is a ripoff on some items. I paid $12 for a Ska Decadent there once. Then the beer came to my area in St. Louis and it's $5.99. :mad: You have to do some homework when shopping at Binny's. The HeBrew anniversary series has always sold for closer to what you paid at Whole Foods. It's more like you got ripped off at Binny's instead of got a deal at Whole Foods.

5. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Not a treasure or hunted beer.
    But a growler of Sun King Osiris for $5 is just plain unbeatable!

6. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (270) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

Found this for the same price at a local grocery store and drank the shit out of it all summer.

7. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo for $3.99. A great deal!

8. I think I got both of those for 6 at one time and I even seen the house of 1,000 beers (New Ken) have bombers of Shackamaximum for 5 bucks. I got two.

But the price does differ some will charge 7-8 bucks for the same bottles.

9. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I snagged a bottle of Jewbelation XV for $5 the other day. One of my local bottle shops clearances out any left overs when the new release comes in :) so got a XV and XVI that trip for $12 total (plus Tax, etc)

10. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Holographic Charizard for $1.99 on Ebay. The bafoon showed a picture of the scratches =P.

11. I bought two bottles of bourbon barrel aged Santa's Little Helper for 2.99 each.

El_Chupahueso and Eriktheipaman like this.
  12. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

We sell it for $11.29, so that's a serious steal. Great beer too.

13. 2007 Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic @ $3.99 ea. Only two but, the first one was excellent.

14. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

A store near me always sells Brooklyn BCS four-packs for $5.99 (consistently for the last three years). They also seem to stock 100 cases of it every year...

15. Cost Plus World Market slashed prices on caged and corked 750ML Witches Brew to 1.99 or less (can't remember) 2 years ago after Halloween. I think they considered it a novelty seasonal beer or something. I bought 6 of them and should have cleaned them out. That same store was also selling 750ML Delirium Tremens for 3.49 temporarily. Sometimes those warehouse stores like Total Wine are also great for snatching up seasonals at clearance prices, when they need the shelf space. Got dirt cheap deals on Petrus Winter Ale and Bruery Saison de Lente last year among others.

16. Went into a bar once that was selling pitchers of Abyss, yep PITCHERS! There were about 4 of using drinking them, we got 3 pitchers and a couple of other pints and don't think our tab was over $40.

In a store once, they had Witches Brew for sale at app $5 per bottle. Grabbed a good few of those...even the girl checking us out called it "the deal of the decade." Next day i went back and the owner had caught their mistake and put it back to what it should have been.

Resuin likes this.
  17. *2 pitchers...looks like my typing got the same disease as the person pricing that day

18. Got a Melange 3 for $25.50 (15% OFF!)

dealz.

libbey likes this.
  19. Couple days ago I got two bottles of El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale for $2.99 each. Pretty good, considering it was released two and a half years ago (and has held up very well) and that price is cheaper than current Stone collab brews.

20. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Actually, an $11 minimum is what I've seen at several other outlets and liquor stores (and by several, I mean, like 6) for Sweet 16. Regardless, Binny's was slanging 4pks of Brooklyn BCS for $7.99 last week, which is the best deal I've yet to see. But for the most part, Binny's is purely desirable for inventory if you don't have the time to quest.

21. Gannon81

Dudes, I just copped 2 4pks of Flying Dog Imperial Porter for $10.99 a piece. I've only seen this sold as singles for $5.99. That didn't suck.

22. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Got a 64 oz. growler up at Premier Liquors in Buffalo for $8.99. Got a 32 oz. Nosterafu ( Fantastic Imp red ale from Great Lakes Br. Co. ) at a good price also. Growlers are GREAT!!!

23. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Listen to this advice. He might run over all your newly planted burning bushes. Or worse.

24. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

They used to be $35 @ case at the brewery. Did they raise prices? Matter of fact, Binny's South Loop Chicago has $41 @ case. If you like FFF ZD, try Pipeworks Ninja or Ninja vs Unicorn. Just had Ninja vs Unicorn tonight and would put it right up there with ZD...IMO. Can't get enough ZD!!!!!!! Now FFF limits to 2 cases as of a few months ago last I was there..used to buy all u want....bummer.

25. On my trip to Nashville here recently, I was amazed that a 4-pack of Yazoo "Sue" only went for around $7.99 at most of the local bottle shops. That's one helluva deal consider the quality, octane, and sheer awesomeness of that brew.

26. That's the typical price for the 4 pack. I've seen single bottles around here for $5.99 as well but those were the barrel aged version.

27. Gannon81

Rookie mistake. Thanks for the correction.

28. Prices vary widely around here, especially going back and forth across the state line. I found a Narwhal 4 pack for 7.99 yesterday when I've seen it 11.00 to 12.00 other places, and my local bottle shop sells Oak Aged Yeti for 8.50. I've seen Old Raspy for 7.99 a few places which seems like a great deal.

29. 7.99 is a good price for Old Raspy
    It's 2.5-3.00 a single at some shops out here in CO and about 9-10 for a 4-pack,

30. I was at a beer tasting two days ago and tried Heavy Seas Bourbon-Barrel Aged Below Decks Barleywine. At $8.99 per bomber, I think it's a great value.

jmgrub and Thickfreakness like this.
  31. RabNath

RabNath Zealot (85) New York Jan 2, 2010

A local grocery store used to sell the 11.2 oz bottles of Chimay for $2.19. It was a treat until they noticed they had it priced wrong. The funny thing is they still had the large bottles going for $12-$14. Another weird pricing thing is Founders Curmudgeon for $2 for a bottle, while 4-packs are $15.

32. 4 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout for $6
    Breakfast Stout for $9.99 (normally around $12.99 when I see it)

kylelenk likes this.
  33. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (400) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I think if you are "getting" it from your girlfriend's husband, you are getting more than just Zombie Dust for free. Well played sir.

34. 7.97 for all of Lagunitas' six pack releases.

35. Thats fucked.

jdrum likes this.
  36. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I got a couple 4 packs of BCBS at cost for $16.50

flayedandskinned likes this.
  37. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

$9 cantillon kriek 375. usually not an amazing deal but this was at a bar.
    $10 6 pack of bell's expedition.

38. $4 16 oz. pours of Pliny and $7 13 oz. Pours of 120 minute IPA.

39. I scored two four-packs of Brewery Vivant's Escoffier for 11.99 each. These were 15.99 at the brewery.
    Party store in Northville, MI

40. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Got a few bottles of '09 Old Stock Cellar Reserve for $20 at a bar. I've seen $26 retail at the lowest around Illinois.