1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Underpriced buys

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by maximumu13, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

True, Older is the BA version and it only comes in 375ml's

2. They have a couple 4 packs of backwoods bastard at my State Line store for 10.99

3. Oooh, I never get one of these and finally I did! A store I was in today was blowing out a bunch of OB Little Pils that was canned last May for $10 a 12-pack, which I happily passed on - but they decided to also get rid of some Old Chub from September on the same deal and I happily snagged two of those.

4. Correctamundo...20% aged in bourbon barrels.
    Absolute steal of a beer imo.

http://www.portbrewing.com/our-beers/old-viscosity/

5. $7 for a twelver of Mirror Pond. Woohoo!

Falcone likes this.
  6. There are a couple good deals to be had in Ontario, the one the comes to mind is Chimay Red 750 for under $6.

7. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

GI madam rose for $8.99. Local shop owned by a local drunk.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  8. $9 for a sixer of Gonzo Imperial Porter

Goldfishman likes this.
  9. Granted. Ontario is the land of the over taxed/regulated which has lead to regular price increases across the board, epecially with craft beer...

10. nolabrew

nolabrew Aficionado (160) Louisiana Apr 20, 2010

I once bought 30 Chimays for $15. Sadly, that store has closed.

11. i went to whole foods last week to pick up a case of Lagunitas Sucks and it rang up at $10.99, i told the lady that was the wrong price though. i go there offen for beer, wouldnt have been right.

12. Agreed. I lived in Northern Ontario for a year and could have even dealt with the ridiculous prices, but the overall lack of craft options was awful. There wasn't a hoppy beer to be had after I bought what was apparently the last six pack of Southern Tier IPA in the area.

13. BeerNerd84

BeerNerd84 Aficionado (130) Vermont Apr 18, 2010

A 4 pack of Heady Topper which the clearly uninformed cashier rung up for $3.99 - the cost of a single.

14. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (425) California Dec 17, 2012

Total Wine had marked down the 2012 Widmer Old Embalmer from $12.99 to $3.99 so I grabbed the last 6 left on the shelves (from 2 different locations)...

15. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

A case of Heady Topper is $78 with tax. That's absurd. It's so good.

16. SaisonDeath

SaisonDeath Aficionado (125) Jun 20, 2012

I think some people might be fibbing a bit. With that said, I found a few bottles of DFH Raison D'Extra 2007's for $7 a pop. Not too bad.

17. Go the Westvleteren Abbey and you'll pay about $4.25 per bottle of the 12. Course you gotta buy a 12 pack which'll be about $50 but its still way better than the $85 you'd pay for the 6 pack 'brick'.

18. Or, if you plan ahead you can reserve a case for I think under 40 Euros (it was 50 when I was there including deposit for the crate, which I kept).

19. Yeah. That's it, that's the one.
    See folks its not the monks who are trying to reem you. Its the bloody middlemen.

20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

all I have to say is :-o and I would have tried to schmooze my way to 6 packs if there was a limit.

21. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

About a month ago, I was at Total Wine and they had a clearance sale. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale 12 pack for $6.99 each. I picked up one.

22. Four bucks for a bomber of Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Wet Hop Ale. I paid 12 bucks shortly after at a bar in Big Sur :(

23. lic217

lic217 Savant (470) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I get them routinely for $24 a case of 16.9 oz. Great summer beer for fishing and grilling.

Providence likes this.
  24. Unless you live around the GTA, you still even have to hunt for good beers outsite of the down town core... I am not saying that there isn't a lot of great beers in here, but you honestly have to work to find them, and price point here is getting completely out of hand. Ontario is a beer wasteland compared to the USA/BC/Alberta/Quebec. This is why I wish I lived near the Quebec/NYS border, I would be over to both once a week.

25. Yeah I was shocked at the quality and variety of beer when I visited Toronto last summer. But then I visited Sudbury to see the girlfriends family and was brought right down to Earth. I was pleasantly surprised by Mad Tom, it would fit in just fine with any IPA on the west coast. The IPA and Amber I picked up in a mix pack from Waterloo was a different story, but I managed to choke those down.

26. stealth

stealth Advocate (580) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Found Beatification Batch 2 and 2011 Vigneronne on a shelf today. $19.99 each. I'm still doing my laundry.

Goldfishman likes this.
  27. I picked up a case of Shackamaximum today for $38.99. An amazing deal for a case of 24 12oz. I paid $6.00 for a bomber just a few weeks ago. Bottled 5 days ago. A really good barrel aged( non bourbon) stout and at this price a steal. I hope they stay with this format and others catch on.
    Still not sure how 22 oz cost $6 and 12oz is just over $1.50.

Victory Helios is another great bargain at under $3.50 a bomber for a great lightly sour saison.

Enjoy

28. Waterloo has gone down the crapper since the exit of Jim Brickman. I have picked up some good suds recently from Flying Monkeys, Propeller, Great Lakes, and Beau's. The average price for a 6 of craft is 13.50$, and that is ridiculous compared in quality/prices in NYS. The only good thing about the Beer Store you can get it cheaper by the case of 24. Ontario has a long way to go!

29. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Same thing, saw it at $10.99, except my buddy was working so I got the manager price, $8.43. Bought two. Came back the next day to get more and he told me the other manager priced them at 12 a case instead of 6 a case. They are now $19.99 and I did not get more

30. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (315) New York Feb 15, 2008

2007 old crusty ceramic bottles marked down to $3.99 a couple years back - got a few of them.

31. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

I have buying 6pks of Great Divide Rumble Ipa for $4 and they still have Saranac's winter pac for $8 12 pk

32. Just picked one up for $4 as well. How is this so cheap?? :)

33. No idea. Great beer nonetheless.

34. 6 pack of Sucks - $10.99. And that's 40 miles north of NYC.

35. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

I'm still buying sixers of '12 SN Bigfoots for $8.99 at my local grocery store. Been this way for at least 8 mos now!

36. planbee

planbee Savant (370) North Carolina May 28, 2009

There was a stretch in 2011-2012 where I was routinely finding Brooklyn BCS 4 packs at my grocery store for $5.99. None too shabby. This mistake/blessing has since ceased...

37. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

6-packs of Lagunitas Sucks on sale for $8.99 at my local Dominick's today. Noticed minutes after I paid $11.99 for the same at a beer store a block away since I thought it was the only place to find it that close to home. I'm enjoying my 'overpriced' Sucks regardless.

38. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (485) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

My best ever was actually in a book store in a very small town. I didn't know they even sold alcohol and was getting ready to leave when I saw the "wine cellar" sign. Decided to look just out of curiosity and was rewarded with 3 bottles of Allagash Curieux for $7.99 a bottle. Probably never beat that one.

39. For some reason a store had a few singles of Founders Imperial Stout on clearance for $1.49. Didn't make sense to me since they just got it in a few weeks ago. Nonetheless I grabbed them all.