1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Unexpected Beer Finds

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by krl2112, Dec 28, 2012.

1. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I travel a lot and like going into stores in different areas to see what I may find. It is a bit of a scavenger hunt for me. I was wondering what have been some of your best unexpected finds. Mine include 2 yr old GI Demolition which was surprisingly good, Founders Frangelic Mountain a couple of weeks ago, and BCBS Cherry sitting on a shelf at a local shop(although they still had a bottle limit).
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. I found a 2008 Czar by Avery a month ago just chilling in the middle of other 2012 Czars for the same price. And a couple days before Xmas I found a BCBS Coffee chilling in the wine aisle of a local bottle shop. Freaking LOVE when that stuff happens.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Earlier this month Whole Foods in Downtown Austin... a 09.09.09 and 10.10.10 on the shelf (I'm sure due to the coming of 12.12.12). 10.10.10, in particular, had never been on Texas beer shelves before this due to labeling issues (it was sent back to Stone at release and never brought back until now)
  4. BCBS and more because where it was at. A small local liqour store that has a below average bottle selection right at the time when people were frantically searching for the newly released 12' batch. In fact, I brought a bottle of BORIS to the counter and the girl is like you might like BCBS. I say yeah, Ive been looking for it. She says we have a bunch in the back. I say yeah I will take some. She says two 4 packs? I say is that your limit?No she replies, and I buy the full 2nd case of the 2 cases they had. The guy who owns the place is the worst because he is a stout fan and I gotta fight him for their limited selection.
  5. Someone else was hiding that BCBS coffee and you were the lucky recipiant.
    cavedave likes this.
  6. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (470) New York Dec 17, 2010

A little shop near a buddy's house doesn't seem to get a lot of craft buyers in there. They have about case of 2010 DFH world would stout and I pop in there and grab a bottle on the way to his house a lot, it's almost like my own personal stash because it's always still there.
  7. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Went to Chicago and couldn't find BCBS anywhere, then went into this little shit hole of a store and there it was, a 4 pack of BCBS stout sitting on the shelf at $23. I bought 2
  8. It still deserves to be on the shelf, that entire beer series is epic alright, an epic bunch of crap.
    siege06nd, Oneinchaway and Boilerfood like this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Indeed. The idea is so much better than the beers have been.

My best find was in 2010, a bottle of '07 Super Kitty on a dusty back shelf behind random dusty bottles, in a crappy beverage store in Port Ewen, NY.
    Centennial likes this.
  10. krl2112

R u talking about Bruno's in lake Geneva? We have a condo there and I frequent that store.
  11. Wow has it already been a week since we had this thread? Time flies..
    RochesterAaron likes this.
  12. andthevolcano

andthevolcano Savant (400) Delaware Apr 22, 2008

A year or two ago I found RR Damnation in Maryland. And just the other day I found a nice store in Jersey that still had BCBS, and another store that had pretty poor selection, but multiple cases of FBS.
  13. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

I manage a small beer and wine shop with a great craft following. I always have a few gems in the store. For example:

Big Bad Baptist
    Creme Brulee(saved for the holidays)
    Boris & Doris from Hoppin Frog
    Victory at Sea
    Bells Expedition
    Barrel Aged Gonzo
    Speedway Stout
    Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti
    Expresso Oak Aged Yeti
    Ten Fity

Artic Panzer Wolf
    Avery Dugana
    Epic Imperial Ipa
    White Rajah
    Zombie Dust
    Racer 5

Positive Contact(unopened)
    Brux
    Old Stock Ale
    Rivertown Lambic
    Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza

The list goes on and on...
  14. Yep thats the place and the guy who owns is and one of the employees are both stout fans, so any good specialty stouts are hard to come by there. They are just a small expanding craft beer section anyway. So when they had a whole case of Bcbs it shocked me.
  15. krl2112

Yes I know Jim(owner) and Chris. Both good guys!!!! Usually nice selection of local stuff. I went to the liquor area of piggly wiggly in Delavan about 2 months ago and they had 2 extra cases of BCBS behind the counter for people that had wanted it but never picked it up. He asked if I wanted any but I already had 2 cases so I passed for other guys to get some.
    BrownAleMale and NickyDee21 like this.
  16. Fresh six pack of Lagunitas Maximus.
    Finding that beer fresh is a much more exciting find to me than any years old Stout sitting on a liquor store shelf.
    kmatlack likes this.
  17. huysmans

huysmans Savant (320) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

I found a bottle of BA Naked Evil a couple weeks ago.
    fujindemon74 and YogiBeer like this.
  18. Cjalbers

Cjalbers Aficionado (115) Aug 23, 2012

I went to San antonio for the Christmas holidays and stopped at an HEB and discovered about a case of Dogfish head 120 min on the shelf. I grabbed all the singles I could and they are now in my fridge. I also stopped by Gabriels # 6 while there. Their selection was pretty good. There were about 5 cases or Miles Davis and I was able to grab Ranger Creeks batch 3 and 4. Batch 4 was just delivered from Ranger Creek that morning!
  19. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

A Cherry Rye and coffee!
    Held in the back for me, because I asked for it a couple months ago when discussing craft beer with owner of store!
    What a surprise when I stopped back in the other day.
  20. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

My shop has plenty of Bolt Cutter, Frangelic Mountain Brown, BCBS, BCBCS and Brux. Just sitting there on the shelf, all expensive and being passed over.
  21. Last year I found three bottles of 2008 Jolly Pumpkin La Roja sitting on the clearance shelf for $2.75 each. Drank 2 so far and they were in great shape
    semibaked likes this.
  22. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

In 2010 I got a cast of '07 BCBS for $19.99 a 4-pack. Besides that I have never been terribly lucky when it comes to store finds.
  23. krl2112

Where do u live?
  24. Porkhustle

Nassau County, Long Island NY.
  25. Finatic

Finatic Savant (300) Florida Jan 16, 2011

Anywhere near Baldwin?
  26. krl2112

Doohhhh!!
  27. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Sounds about right :rolleyes:
  28. krl2112

Huh??
  29. Porkhustle

Not terribly far.
  30. krl2112

Lol!! Maybe not if they had BCBS cherry!! It's just that yummy!!
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  31. Porkhustle

3 bottles left. Picking one up tonight.
  32. Pretty easy for me. I was in a store in NJ while down there on business. On what can only really be considered a close out rack.... there were two bottles of KBS. Yep....you read that correctly. I asked the store attendant what the hell was going on and he said it was too expensive for his customers.... DOh! BINGO!!!
  33. jb123

jb123 Savant (460) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

2 year old jolly pumpkin oro de calabaza for 11 bucks!
  34. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Limited GI stuff sits around NY forever and ever. Just a little Chi-town grief ;)
  35. Actually, I apologize, I have a second one worth sharing... Sometime back a buddy and I entered a craft beer bar in the Boston area.. (over a year ago) This was shortly after the Founders Canadian Breakfast release (bottles) There were rumors in MA that the level of distribution in the state was expressed in bottles.... Anyway, the waiter came and asked what we wanted... I (totally joking with my buddy) asked if they had CBS.... He looked right back at me and said, "I think we have one bottle left" Me and my buddy (displaying our best poker faces) said, great we'll take that. The bartender walked over to the bar.... told the bartender who made a visible "AW F!" comment and body movement. A minute later he brought the bottle, two glasses and told us the bartender was upset because he was hoping it would last until his shift was over and he was going to buy it. We sat there in shock and shared the bottle (along with a couple other folks) Still can't believe it and wish we had a photo of the look on our faces..
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  36. Curi
    Curious as to how, cuz Philly is the only east coast spot RR gets distribution
  37. Gr
    Grab the bolt cutter and BCBCS for me and we'll work something out :D
  38. Was recently in a corner liquor store while visiting my gf in Baltimore. They usually have a solid selection of flagship craft brews. Upon my last visit, I was shocked to find bottles upon bottles of DFH 120 and World Wide Stout. Being from Philly, where this stuff is almost an instant sell out, I was pleasantly surprised. Was also visiting Capone's in Norristown, PA about a month ago. Was able to find a bottle of first edition Dark Horizon tucked away. It's the little things.
  39. krl2112

Oh I got ya.
  40. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

The weekend Bourbon County Stout came out this year I was looking for a 4pk and everyone had sold out of their first shipments already. Tried one last place and when I asked the guy if they got the new Bourbon County he pointed to a shelf. Walked over and rather than finding any 4packs of BCS I find sitting there on the shelf 2 bombers of 2009 Bourbon County Stout. $28.99 each.