Unexpected Beer Finds

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by krl2112, Dec 28, 2012.

1. andthevolcano

andthevolcano Savant (425) Delaware Apr 22, 2008

I know, it was odd. Stateline liquors had a few bottles. Haven't seen it since though, and I go there every couple of months.

2. Bolt Cutter was off the shelf almost the same day it arrived here (you read that right; only one case made it to one shop in the area). I need to visit your store!

3. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

A friend of mine found 2 bottles of Bells Batch 3000 at a store for $3 each about 2 years ago, still tasted pretty damn good too.

4. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

In the immortal words of Peter Griffin, "Frickin Sweet!!".

5. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

A couple weeks ago, i found two dust covered Double Crooked Tree bottles in a small town grocery store. My state hasn't allowed +12% in a few years. :D

fujindemon74 likes this.
  6. A small surprise last weekend.

Grabbed 2 Smuttynose Baltic Porters & 2 IMperial Stouts last weekend assuming they were 2012 & 2011 respectively.

Got home and found the Imperial Stouts were 2010.

7. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Savant (470) Florida Nov 16, 2005

Well don't fret, it will be a long time before 01.01.01

8. Just passed up an opportunity to buy world side stout. It was 8 bucks a bottle. Am I fool for not buying it?

9. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

What year? If it was 2010 then ur not missing much, but if it was say 2004 then go back right now and buy em all.

10. It was 2012. Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw the year. The beer guy told me that they got a shipment in within the passed few months!

11. Found 4 2010 abyss just chilling on a local bottle shops shelf.

12. I was getting some Mongolian beef a couple of weeks ago and walked over to this little liquor store I'd never seen before. I started looking at the selection and as I was walking around the rack to see what was on the other side, while contemplating some Hibernation Ale, he shouted to me "I have Bourbon County Stout!" I actually looked around to see if he was talking to me. He was. Then he asked "You want one, right?" I thought about it maybe a nano-second after my head stopped spinning. I just said "Yes I do! Merry Christmas to me!" He just laughed, completed the transaction and said "Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again. Have a great Christmas." I never thought I really had a chance of trying it this year, and yet I am. Reading about how hard it was to get, I never really looked. I am pretty sure he knew I wasn't one of his regulars. I will be now.

13. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (340) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

Today I got a Baller Stout from a local bar/pub that has some carryout....in Ohio. I asked if they had any FFF taps and he said "no, but we have a few bottles of FFF in the basement, one is called Baller Stout I think" Um, yes please:) (others were dreadnaught and panzer wolf)

creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

What are your best "stumble upon" beer stories? It could be finding a rare beer in a middle of no where liquor store. Or perhaps something on tap at a hole in the wall, or maybe someone unexpectedly sharing something you were really looking for while in line at a festival or something.

15. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

A few years ago I was at city beer store for lunch and I was chattin it up with Craig. I had been going there for about a year regularly while I was going to sf state. He tells me he's glad I came by and pours me a tulip, he says the only condition is please don't post this online. No problem. As soon as he was pouring I could smell the hop blast from behind the bar. 1 of sevrel Pliny the youngers I had that day, it was delicious and memorable, and I was the only person in the whole place.

That would probably never happen now since the remodel theyre busy nearly from open to close. That's good stuff, although this year I find myself more excited for hopacolypse black label than pty

jglowe77 likes this.
  16. Answered a similar thread about 6 months ago. About 7 months ago, found a hole in the wall liquor store with a 2009 BCBS bomber sitting on the shelf. That probably won't be topped for a little while. For me, at least.

jglowe77 likes this.
  17. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Walk in to beer bar. Pliny the Younger to be tapped two kegs from now. Slow Tuesday night got three glasses before the keg kicked.

jglowe77 likes this.
  18. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

these threads crop up maybe once a year, but i haven't had a new story to tell since 2008. just moved to Portsmouth, NH, and on an October saturday morning I was wandering through town and walked into Portsmouth Brewery - and there it was, sitting in the cooler: a single bomber of 2007 double-oaked KtG (one of about 56 bottles) just brought up from the cellar to surprise a lucky local.

jglowe77, Tony412 and LostTraveler like this.
  19. Walked into my store this past week and there was about 8 bottles of de dolle stille natch reserva 2010 sitting there, never ever though I would see that beer.

reyes29201 likes this.
  20. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

About a week ago, I walked into one of my local stores just to see if anything interesting had come in. Sitting on the shelf was a case of Zombie Dust singles. Now I am in Toledo, Ohio, so I never expected to see this and had not heard anything about it coming in. Was happy to purchase two six packs of this fantastic beer.

21. Had a hell of a time trying to find Abyss '12 in Washington state just after it was released, coming home with only two botttles. On my way to my mother in law's cabin last weekend, I stopped in at a corner store that I hadn't checked out before and boom, two bottles of Abyss and a bunch of Dissident along with the best craft selection in the area. Walked out of there a happy man. :)

22. It's like I'm looking in a mirror with your story
    I too answered a similar thread (except it was just a couple of days ago)

This was a few weeks ago - and I'm quoting my post on the other thread.
    I asked if they had anything in the back room.
    The guy I asked said no, but another employee said he had something & he came back with the 2009 BCBS bomber - $14

Also, not long after I got the 2009 BCBS, I found 7 bottles of Abyss (2012) at a store I would never think would have it out in the open like that.
    No limit - I grabbed 4.

UnderJoath likes this.