1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Unique Craft beer events

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dtx00, Feb 4, 2013.

1. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (435) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Hopefully this is the right place to start this discussion. If not please move. I want to get everyones opinion on what sort of event you would attend. I see too many beer dinners and tap takeovers, that they all seem to run together. Are there unique events that already exist out there? I tried going back though the forums and looking for some but that wasnt really working. Everyone usually just raves about a limited beer at a tap takeover or something. So here you go BA community can you come up with a unique event that people would want to attend, or is there some that already exist.

Cheers, and I look forward to seeing the responses.

2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

DarkLord Day.

3. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

Celebrator party to close SF Beer Week. Unique and always a good time with great people.

4. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (435) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Sounds interesting, where can I find more info on said event?

5. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

You can find out about it on the SF Beer Week web page or at Celebrator Magazine web page. I have not checked to see if it going this year or not.

6. The two best beer events that I go to every year in NYC, and they are INCREDIBLY unique:

Beer for Beasts - This is a collaborative event between Beer Advocate and Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn. It's set up like a regular beer festival, but Sixpoint makes upwards of 40-50 one-off, single-batch beers, many of which are collaborations with local homebrewers, chefs, etc. All of the beers are very experimental and "out there", so it's great for adventurous drinkers. Last year included things like a kiwifruit lambic, a beer with caramelized onions, a wasabi witbier, etc. Plus the show had live music, a burlesque show, and a ton of food trucks parked outside with incredible deliciousness. One of the most fun beer events, probably ever.

NYC Brewer's Choice - This is part of NYC's Craft Beer Week. It's like a regular beer festival, but classed up to no end. Instead of the an endless sea of brewery reps pouring their run-of-the-mill Pale Ales and such, the breweries' tables are run, with few exceptions, by the brewmasters, all of whom are pouring their most superlative beers, experimental one-offs, barrel-aged beers, all sorts of awesomeness. Each brewery also pairs up with a restaurant or eatery of sorts who sets up a table right next to them to do a pairing. Whereas Beer for Beasts is a big, rowdy, party of an event, this one is really for the beer geeks and foodies. There are few beer geek experiences I've had that were cooler than sitting across a table from Greg Hall (pre buy-out) and Garrett Oliver, shooting the shit while they walk me through a beer/food pairing.

7. I don't know if this would ever work, but I'd love to see a festival where a bottleshop (maybe one with, say, a particularly wide selection) were to open & serve a single bottle or can of every single beer they have in stock. Attendees would pay maybe $10 & drink whatever was around out of, say, 1000+ beers, but once that bottle's done, it's done.

8. ithacabaron

ithacabaron Savant (385) California Jul 16, 2003

No beer event better captures the spirit of BeerAdvocate than the annual Stone Soup gathering in Philadelphia.

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/58145
    http://insearchofbeer.org/2012/02/08/stone-soup-rocks/

People come from all over and share the best of their cellars with folks that they know will appreciate it. No overhead, no admission fees, no advertising -- just great beer (better than any fest or single-brewery event could put together), great people, and a great time.