1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Upcoming SF Vacation..

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by mattchow, Mar 27, 2013.

1. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

Alright, so I've planned my SF Vacation as far as I can. I'm bringing some extra luggage to pack some beers to bring back home with me to Houston, TX.

As far as restaurants, here's what I have on my list..

Flour + Water
    Saison
    Manresa
    French Laundry
    Meadowood
    Incanto

While in Napa, I plan on making a lateral move over to Russian River and make my way back to San Francisco passing by Lagunitas and Trappist assuming I have enough time.

My hotel is in the Union Square / Chinatown area, are there any bottle shops nearby I can attack nearby? Near Russian River/Napa ?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!
    ONovoMexicano likes this.
  2. Damn man. Manresa and French Laundry?!? Doing it BIG.
  3. mattchow

lol, im doing French Laundry for Lunch and Meadowood for Dinner...
  4. Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa is your best bet in that area

City Beer is fairly close to Union Square.

If you're near Trappist, stop by Beer Revolution, just a few blocks away
    mattchow likes this.
  5. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

Just got back from SF. Incanto was ehhh. State Bird Provisions is a must. Plow was awesome for breakfast.
    mattchow likes this.
  6. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Nice, dropping a grand on one day's worth of meals. Well done. Meadowood is quite the place.
    BrewerRev and mattchow like this.
  7. The French Laundry isn't open for lunch. $270 to even sit down, if you can get a reservation. Unless your are some sort of VIP or something.
  8. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Open for lunch on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I would go to Bouchon and/or Ad Hoc to say I went to a Keller place, and save my money for beer and other stuff.

Skip Incanto, unless you enjoy weird food that is good, but not great.
  9. No shit. My buddy used to work at The French Laundry. He says for the money, you are better off flying to New York and eating at Per Se.

Ive been to Bouchon (Yountvile once and Beverly Hills Numerous times) and Ad Hoc and I agree with you. Both are delicious and you can save some scratch for Beer.
    rgco likes this.
  10. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Holy shit man - you can afford to eat at those places much less the mileage you are logging yet choose to stay near chinatown? Hopefully its at the Ritz as its the only respectable place close to there for a man of your ilk.
  11. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

mattchow likes this.
  12. Save yourself the hassle of packing the beer in your luggage. Bottle Barn sells excellent styro bottle shippers, reasonably priced. My routine is to pick up two of the 15 bottle shippers on each visit. Head over to the RR Brewery, fill em with a case of PtE and a half dozen sours and check them through as luggage on my flight home.
  13. mattchow

I already have my reservations for Friday lunch @ French Laundry and dinner at Meadowood.

I've been to Per Se already, don't need to worry about scratch for beer. I wasn't a huge fan of Bouchon in Vegas, but it might have just been a poor execution on their part. I'll only have one day in Napa, so Ad Hoc will have to wait for next time.

Speaking of Styro Shippers, how do they hold up to the travel?

Love beer, Love food, don't particularly care if my sheets are 100000 thread count as long as there is a roof over my head and I'm somewhat safe lol. It's not like I'm spending my trip inside the hotel room.

---

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
  14. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

More bottle shops to consider:

Beer Craft in Rhonert Park (on the way to SF from RRBC) http://www.beercraft.com/

Trappist Provisions http://www.thetrappist.com/provisions.php

Healhty Spirits in SF near the Castro http://healthy-spirits.blogspot.com/

More SF restaurants/bars (some may be too obvious but I don't know what you know, you know?):

Toronado, Alembic and Magnolia in the Haight; Rosamunde, Abbot's Cellar, Monks Kettle and Zeitgeist in the Mission; Church Key, La Trappe and Rogue Ales' Public House in North Beach; 21st Amendment in SoMa

Have a great trip.
    ONovoMexicano and mattchow like this.
  15. jtmartino

They're great and will last probably 6+ shipments before starting to fall apart. My preferred way to send bottles when available, and super easy to re-use. My only recommendation is to pack the bottles tight and put a layer of paper or plastic wrap in-between the top section and bottom section to prevent the styro squeak that gives the box away to shipping companies.

Nice, I like this focus too.

FWIW I've been to Incanto a few times (used to live in the neighborhood) and while it was really good, it didn't knock my socks off like some other places in the city. I take it you are a foodie, so if you need any recommendations let me know.
  16. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Do any shipping companies actually care about this? I just got a box that squeaking up a storm, clearly no one noticed/cared. I guess if you're being as safe as possible you should do it, but seems unnecessary to me.
  17. jtmartino

No clue, but I've heard more and more reports of people have trouble with UPS and FedEx opening their boxes. Better safe than sorry IMO, and it is an easy fix. I used duct tape last time and it was all of 2 minutes making sure everything didn't make a sound.
  18. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Lately I've been removing the styrofoam and putting it inside a black trash bag, and I think that greatly reduces the sound by itself, for some reason. I didn't notice it all with the two boxes I sent out last week.
  19. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

Bouchon Bakery for snacks/macaroons is really good. Oxbow Market has good coffee and food (especially C. Casa) for breakfast tacos but it seems like you have the Napa thing figured out.
  20. Magnolia! Had a great weekend brunch there during SFBW. English Breakfast w/ an awesome imperial stout (smokestack lightning something).
    http://www.magnoliapub.com/
    afrokaze likes this.
  21. Saison is over rated.
    In Healdsburg, which is close to Santa Rosa, hit Bear Republic.
    If in Oakland and you hit Trappist, as mentioned, hit Beer Revolution and Olde Station next door.
    If you want the best sushi, skip Morimoto in Napa and hit Sushi Ran in Sausalito.
    And go see the defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants!!
  22. mattchow

I love bouchon bakery, multiple visits while in new york and vegas. Girlfriend is addicted to the TKO's. I'll be venturing there for some early morning snacks before heading out towards Russian River.

Gotta have some reasons behind why Saison is over rated! I'll be sure to make my way over to Beer Revolution. Don't think I'll have much time for sushi but thanks for the suggestion.
  23. mattchow

Have any of you been to Flour + Water AND Cotogna? Care to comment which you prefer? Thanks!
  24. mattchow

So from what I gather Trappist and Trappist Provisions are two separate locations?

6309 College Ave vs 460 8th Street?
  25. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Flour and Water is much better. Known for their pizza, but the pasta is actually better.
  26. I've eaten at flour + water once and was underwhelmed by it. I had heard good things and with a line that forms prior to opening its doors everyday, I was expecting greatness. I've had better meals at my local osteria.
  27. mattchow

I was gonna head to Una for pizza and either one for Pasta.. thanks!
  28. rboinski

Una is the right decision for straight pizza, not the best neighborhood but spectacular pizza. Only open a few days a week though.
    rgco likes this.
  29. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

Una and Tony Napoltena's are both excellent. I'm a fan of zero zero as well

Trappist 8th street is the bar. The College Ave provisions is their beer store.

Enjoy your time in the Bay Area!
  30. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

I was sorely disappointed by Flour + Water's pizza, but the pasta was excellent. They usually have a pasta tasting menu, which I would recommend. Una Pizza for pizza is the joint. It is best described as a sparse factory space with a giant blue oven :)
  31. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

I was going to quote teamizm's correct response, but then I saw his Dodger avatar with Kirk Gibson's homer salute and I couldn't do it. :eek: Anyway, you [and he] are correct.
    teamizm likes this.
  32. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

Seriously, State Bird Provisions. Go early(we didn't get there till 7), put your name and number down. Walk around the corner(literally) to the Gastropub called Fat Angel. Their tap list is good and their bottle list is great, albeit a little expensive. However there are some very reasonably priced beers, such as 3 Fonteinen Oude Gueze Golden Blend for $27. Drink there until they call you(about 1.5 hours for us on a monday) and tell you that your table is ready. Request the Chef's counter if at all possible. Then, enjoy good food. You won't regret it.
  33. mattchow

Might have to do that for Saturday if Saison doesn't reopen for business after their planned maintenance Wednesday I originally had my reservations..
  34. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Go to Delfina for pizza in SF (and the best hand pulled mozzarella). Nothing else will suffice imo.
    drgarage likes this.
  35. I just got back from SF. I wouldn't worry about having to spend a lot of eat and drink in style. I was shocked at how inexpensive great meals were in the city. Some of the places ate at:

Mission Chinese Food- got delivered and was great
    Dottie's- possibly the best breakfast I've ever had
    In and Out- first time and last time
    Brenda's French Soul Food- excellent bakery, huge portions
    Chez Maman on Hayes- pretty good food, nice place
    Ike's- amazing sandwich
    Slanted Door- absolutely brilliant

Drink:
    City Beer- went twice. Awesome place and great people. My wife and I were treated like guests by staff and patrons. Fabulous selection and taps.
    Cerveceria de Mateveza- taproom on recommendation from a City Beer discussion. Decent beer, nice location.
    Healthy Spirits- great store, helpful staff assisted my in getting a box and shippers for my beer to bring home. Put the box together and showed me how to layer my Pliny.
    Russian River- it was a pilgrimage. Everyone deserves to go there. Drank Pliny from the source, got a full flight, and twelve bottles to bring home.

It is a great city. A little gritty in that it is old, many areas showing age, lots of homeless, and people I assume are on heroin. But the people are great, I never didn't feel safe. I walked to my hotel on 7th in SOMA from City Beer and Hayes later at night after drinking and felt fine.

I appreciate the absence of the insular, there is only one center of the universe I've encountered from Southern Cal. San Fran locals are my favorite.
    pisano and mattchow like this.
  36. mattchow

alright, so back from the dead. sf is a great city, weather was perfect and i couldn't have asked for a better vacation.

As far as food for my 6 day trip, i went to Cotogna, Flour and Water, Kobe Bento, Boccalone, Boudin, Coi, Mission Chinese, Manresa, Bouchon Bakery, The French Laundry, Auberge Du Soleil, The Restaurant at Meadowood, Commis, In and Out, Franciscian and some more Boudin at the airport.

I headed to Domaine Carneros and Artesa for some wine in Napa and headed to Rye, Tradition, Rickhouse, Trick Dog, Toronado, Alembic, 1313, Russian River Brewery, Lagunitas, Li Po for cocktails and beer.

#sfbeerhaul was successful as well. I went to City Beer, Bottle Barn, Healthy Spirits and a few others as recommended by others.

[​IMG]

Favorite meal hands down was The French Laundry with Commis and Mission Chinese rounding out my top 3. Meadowood is a 3 michelin star joint, and I don't want to say it was bad, but it certainly wasn't deserving of the 3*. At least the hostess was cute and easy to chat with.

thanks again for the recommendations everyone!
  37. That's BAller status right there^.

He threw in Manresa like it was a trip to Subway for a five dollar foot long.
    mattchow likes this.
  38. rboinski

Mission Chinese is great, I think I'll bring that home tonight! Glad you had a good time.