1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Update: Added quick links to reviews

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

"How do I view another member's reviews?" has without a doubt been one of the top questions since the new forums. Today that ends!

Quick links to another BA's Beer and Place reviews now appear:
    • At the end of any review; see "More by (username)" ... in place before this update.
    • On member profile pages; left hand side, under avatar.
    • Within member card popups; when you click on an avatar or username within the forums.
    Also ...
    • Added seamless viewing between Beer and Place review lists. You can now view a members Beers or Places from either list without having to go back to their profile.
    • I'm considering including quick links to Beer Hads, Wants and Gots.
    • And I'm sure this will come up eventually ... We'd love to list the number of Beer and Place reviews next their respective links, however it's not feasible at this time.
    Anyway, hopefully this small update makes finding the opinions of other BAs much easier to find.

Cheers!
  2. Chirpie

Chirpie Aficionado (190) Kansas Jan 19, 2012

Thanks be to your new hire and the staff at BA! Any suggestions on how we should celebrate? :p
  3. Todd

Mike (our new hire) is busy working on the redesign. These are long overdue interim updates that I'm personally making to allow him to focus on much bigger things.

How to celebrate? Use and enjoy the updates, with a beer of course.
    JoEBoBpr, drabmuh and Chirpie like this.
  4. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Now we're getting somewhere! Cheers, and thank you!
    pschul4 and libbey like this.
  5. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Possible to add Beer Places to my profile without writing a review?
  6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Very nice enhancement - really like the quick link from beers to places. Thanks!
  7. Todd

Did you look? These links are for all users.
  8. Dan_Bowman

Say what? Maybe it was a dumb question? I justed wanted to be able keep track of my beer places without writing a full review.
  9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Sounds like he is asking for an equivalent of "Hads" for places. Not sure I would be in favor of that but I think that is the request.
  10. Dan_Bowman

Yes.... exactly. Thank you
  11. Todd

Well, you didn't really say that originally and given the context of this thread I assumed you were referring to simply placing links on your profile even if you haven't reviewed any Places. What you're asking for is completely unrelated to this thread and should have been posted in Feedback & Help forum ... but we're here now.

We currently don't have plans to allow members to review Places without giving them a textual review, however we're not opposed to exploring the option as we did with Beers. It's good idea too.
  12. Thanks Todd, missed this thread ;)
  13. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Awesome work, the new updates have encouraged me to do more reviews as of late.
    Todd likes this.
  14. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (520) California Sep 25, 2009

I agree that it's a good idea, since I've met so many BA's with an aversion to writing reviews, sadly, but quite consistently "check in" on yelp, and or FB, etc. and they also embraced the Had's option. Allowing for a quick "Had's" type of opition for places would likely be just as succesful as the Hads option for beer has been, imho.

Back to the point of this thread, great work, thank you. Keep it up & enjoy a beer!
    Cinderbike likes this.
  15. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Another request for the wants/gots (more on the gots)...
    Anyway we could set up QUANTITY of gots? It would be great to have one point of use for inventory as opposed to going to cellarhq or any other external source. BA has it all with links to reviews, etc. Keeping track of how much I have of what would be icing on the cake.
  16. Todd

It's been brought before and is definitely being considered for the redesign.