1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Update on pending MA legislation?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by emannths, Feb 28, 2012.

1. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Does anyone know what's going on with the various bills? There was one to allow retailers and bars to fill growlers. There was one to make it easier for small brewers to switch wholesalers. There was one to create a small brewers license to avoid the semantic shitstorm that ABCC created this summer when it tried to redefine the farmer-brewer license.

All this talk of Jack's Abby, Blatant, and other local brewers with more kegs than bottles makes me dream for a one-stop-shop for growler fills from these guys...

Is there any other pending legislation? I'd love to see a) the creation of a rule to allow contract brewers to have a tasting/retail room somewhere other than their brewery (e.g., what Pretty Things had in mind for Somerville) and b) clarification on the packaging rules wrt growlers and labels, specifically whether "outside" or unlabeled growlers may be filled on-demand by brewers.
  2. AFAIK no hard progress yet, but the industry is still plugging away at the wholesaler franchising issue. I haven't heard anything recently about the growler laws or small brewer license. I recommend people reach out to their state rep and tell them you'd like to see these get pushed through. I spoke with my rep a while back and he didn't even know about the farmer license debacle, but was convinced that the state needs to promote small business and create a new classification of license. Hopefully more people reaching out - and continuing to reach out - will help this move in the right direction.
  3. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I too wrote to my rep, who surprised me with a response that seemed well-informed. State reps listen, and since these issues are more related to business than they are controlling/limiting the sale of alcohol, they're quite sympathetic, or at least open-minded.