1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Update: Visual Layer Integration

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I wasn't sure if or when this would happen before the redesign, but I spent the last week analyzing the new forum's "look and feel" and found a solution that allowed me to apply it to the older, non-form BeerAdvocate pages. It took quite a bit of hacking, but I got it to work.

What does this mean?

It just got a hell of a lot easier to navigate the site. The site's pages are once again integrated. Mostly from a visual point of view, but definitely functional here and there too.
    • Simplified, new navigation with sub-navigation too.
    • Forum-style sidebars.
    • Most recent public threads displayed on the homepage again; Beer Trading forums are excluded; doesn't take you to the last unread post.
    • Quick links to your Beers & Places; sidebar, next to your avatar when logged in.
    • Number of Inbox and Alert items now appear when not in the forum; if any.
    • No more multiple browser tabs/windows when going between the old site pages and new forum.
    • Cleaned up Beer and Place profile page layouts. Added recent tweets; if applicable.
    Known Issues
    • User, Inbox and Alerts navigation items work, but have limited functionality when not in the forum.
    • Sign up, Log In, Log Out items work, but have limited functionality when not in the forum.
    • Some visual elements need tweaking / cleaning up; forms, padding, bullets, colors, etc.
    • Homepage needs more content.
    • Twitter widget isn't compatible with all browsers/operating systems.
    • Other misc tweaks that would help me sleep at night.
    In the Works
    • Your Events page; list of upcoming and past events.
    • I'll be looking into the known issues.
    • Any of the other remaining interim updates.
    Note:
    This is not the site redesign. This is an interim update. We'll be holding off on making any other major updates and adding any new functionality until the redesign.

We know this update has taken a long time to happen and it's been frustrating using the site, so thanks again for your patience and support.

I need a beer ...

Cheers!
  2. This is good, I like.
    mikecharley likes this.
  3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (800) New York Dec 13, 2009

WHOA!!!! I was browsing through wants/gots/reviews when i went to the next page and saw the change. AWESOME!!!! nice work...look and feel is great. very integrated. cheers!
  4. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

It looks great to have it integrated like this.
  5. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Yes! Now I don't have to start the "BA Integration LIF"!
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I went to the bar to grab another beer, spent a moment chatting with the bartender, come back and it's like I'm "home" again! Thanks!
  7. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

The site keeps moving in a great direction! Thanks.
    JohnB87 and SirWalkAbout like this.
  8. Gehrig13

Gehrig13 Initiate (0) New Jersey Jun 21, 2012

Looks great!
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It sure threw me for a loop but it was a good loop.
  10. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (575) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

Wow! Just checking it all out. Looks great!
  11. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

Like the new layout, makes moving around on the site easier! :)
  12. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Like the look. Good job.
  13. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

This is great. Love the look. Maybe I have not noticed, but is there a way to click on a user profile and see their reviews yet? That is one thing I miss, being able to go to a user that I follow and see their reviews with just a click.
    TheHammer likes this.
  14. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Until I tried to track the beers I've had. It takes a few too many steps to do so, imho.
  15. glad to see recent posts on the homepage again...
    beertunes likes this.
  16. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Looking good! Missed this stuff. Really like the regional rankings, eventually would be cool to have a top 20-25 for each state, especially for trading purpose. Great job bro's!
  17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Wow, lot a work!!! Lots of options, but DAMN...I just signed back on and WOW, visually grabbed me by the throat. Nice Job!!!
  18. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

Looks good..I like it...now, if we could get the WHOS ON, by location again..that would be great..
    beertunes likes this.
  19. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Huge, huge upgrade. I love that you can see recent threads on the front page again, that was a huge motivator to visit and browse the forums in the past. Great work.

Dope
    Boz12 and champ103 like this.
  20. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Place reviews are screwed up.
  21. Nice integration! It was easy to get to what I wanted. This will keep me happy until the ticker stats show up again.
    TheHammer likes this.
  22. Even though this is only an interim update it is a huge help and restores a ton of functionality to the site, thanks Todd!
  23. Todd

Easy fix. I'll update when I get back from the bar.
    crossovert and Boz12 like this.
  24. matttttYCE

matttttYCE Savant (295) Arizona Jul 15, 2010

As a few others have said, it is so awesome to have the most recent public threads displayed on the homepage again and no more multiple browser tabs/windows when going between the old site pages and new forum! Quick links to your Beers & Places are extremely helpful as well. Thank you this update and all you do! Cheers!
    beertunes likes this.
  25. AgentMunky

AgentMunky Savant (450) California Dec 29, 2009

I mostly really like what I see! But am I the only one who is really bothered by reviewing on top of a golden gradient? Please leave the review box blank. Sunrise may be pretty, but it's also distracting.
  26. Todd

It's far more easier to track now than it was before. We're talking a single click from most pages on the website to view your Beer Reviews; a whole two for Hads.
  27. Than you. The site looks really good.
  28. Todd

Nah. I like it. Fairly consistent with the rest of the forum fields and very Hüsker Dü "New Day Rising."
  29. mactrail

mactrail Champion (765) Washington Mar 24, 2009

This is all so... logical. Tint boxes are nice, arrangement of buttons and navigation is just so... logical. You could argue it's not crusty enough. You get used to clicking on peculiar little words highlighted or not according to some whim.
  30. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (485) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

Hey thanks for cleaning up that test code in the avatars, I noticed that the alt for my avatar said "Todd" and I was about to post about it in feedback but it was fixed too quick, awesome work!
  31. matttttYCE

After some usage, the only problem I have is that the search bar while in the Forums should allow us to also search for a beer, place, event, or forum (much like the old site). It's quite annoying when you're on the forum and want to search for a beer to have to go to either home, beers, places, or events or open another window/tab in order to search for a particular beer (or place, or event).
  32. Todd

It's been this way since February, so it's kind of unrelated to the updates, however I'm looking into it. Until then, I might just make the site default to search based on whatever section of the site the search is initiated from ... like the old days.
  33. matttttYCE

But in the old days couldn't you be on the forum and still go to the search bar and search by beer, place, event, or forum? I think if anything you should leave the search the way it is currently with the ability to search all four categories from either home, beers, places, or events because, as I said, it's quite convenient and easy to navigate to not have to go through another page to search for something if you aren't currently on that section of the site. Would be great to have that feature on the forum search bar also.
  34. Todd

Yep. I'm looking into it.
  35. matttttYCE

Awesome. Thank you!
  36. Looking good and heading in right direction. Any update or forecast on when there will be a new color noting that you've "Had" a beer (vs. Reviewed) when looking at a Breweries line-up and/or Top beer list?

Just wondering if this is getting closer... Thanks.
  37. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Nice!
  38. davesway10

davesway10 Savant (490) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

Looks great, glad to see things back to 1 page.
  39. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Any way we can consider reinstating a separate column for 'beer style' on our beer review lists? While stacking Beer Name, Brewery, and Style certainly makes it more concise and tight, I tend to search through my old beers by style, and I feel like the new organization makes it a bit harder to do that.

Thanks for all your hard work gents!!
  40. Nice! Thought it would be longer for my eyes to adapt visually but i'm already used to it though i do miss the balck background :cool:
    Eriktheipaman likes this.