1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Update: Visual Layer Integration

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

The black background is still there. You must be viewing the site on a small screen or in a tiny browser window.
  2. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Looks nice!
  3. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

Looks nice but waiting with bated breath for the redesign ;) just kidding, no worries, take all the time you guys need we're not going anywhere.
  4. biga7346

From what forums are those homepage threads being streamed from? on the old site you got the latest posts from the forums you subscribed to...
  5. Todd

See my original post. It's explained there.
  6. biga7346

got it, sorry about that, so basically all of the most recent thread posts from all the forum subcategories minus trading...
  7. Todd

Right, and from public forums only.
  8. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

Seems like one site again, almost makes me want to start reviewing beers again. Almost...
    Daniellobo likes this.
  9. Yeah, meant more present i guess. The white eclipses the darkness ;)
    All good though, glad to have everything in one place.
  10. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

What if some kind of points system was restored, a system under which every beer you review, every bottle photo you submit, and other contributions you make to the site are rewarded? Maybe this points system could be named after a Hindu/Buddhist belief system that basically describes how your decisions and actions affect your ultimate destiny. Would that get you reviewing again?
    Daniellobo and Eriktheipaman like this.
  11. Todd

That's in the works, and will happen, but most likely not until the redesign.
    draheim likes this.
  12. draheim

I believe I remember reading somewhere that you've been tracking all reviews and other contributions since The Points System That Shall Not Be Discussed went away, even though those stats haven't been visible. I hope this is also true.
  13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I like the integration of the two portions of the site and the visual improvements a lot. One change I noticed, not sure if it was intended or not, is that you cannot open the button to review in a new browser tab (like you could before). I miss that feature as I often open them all up from my Gots when I have a bottle share to review or when pulling them from my review notebook for data entry.

Any chance on re-enabling that?
    beertunes likes this.
  14. draheim

Right-click: Open in New Tab?
  15. Todd

16. Todd

It's due to the links being buttons now. I'll look into options.
  17. Todd

Note: If you click on "Style" it'll sort your list by style. I could always bold when sorting on beer name, brewery or style too.
  18. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

No doubt. I guess I'm just finding it hard to visually dissect from the 'Brewery' line, as both are the same font/size/color/etc.

Ahhhh something like that sounds perfect!! Thanks for the reply!!
  19. draheim

I agree, I liked the old "database" view better with each field under its own sortable column. Guess you can't please everyone.
  20. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Doe not work because it is a button now (no longer just a link) - exactly what I used to use before the most recent change.
  21. draheim

OK, probably misunderstood question.
  22. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Love the integrated look.

Quick question, is it possible to add back the pop-up pull-down menu (it looks like it's labeled Quick Links) that shows up when you hover over the Forum tab? It still seems to be there when I'm looking at my inbox, but not on any of the other parts of the site. Not a big deal, but I had gotten used to using it get to the "What's New" forum page.
  23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, I see what you mean. Early clumsy navigating on my part. It works like a charm.
  24. Yea! I like it. Nice work. Keep it up.
  25. Any way to have a quick link to another BA's reviews? When we click on their name, could there be added a beer and place for easy access on the pop-up?
    TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  26. Awesome. Good job!
  27. Todd

28. I'm an old fogey who hates change, but I really like the new look and feel. Nice work.
  29. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

Maybe I'm just going blind, but where do I go to find Beer 101 now? (or recommend it to someone)
  30. Click Beers at the top then the sub-section Beer 101
  31. ujsplace

ujsplace Savant (260) Pennsylvania May 27, 2008

Wow, it is much easier to navigate. Looking forward to the other changes as well.
  32. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

Im digging the new layout of the website now...it didnt take very long to find everything and is easily accessible. My only request was the old statisitcs that we used to have with # of beer reviews, style reviews, place reviews, states, beers added, pics add,ed etc.
  33. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

I don't really care about the beer karma and what happens to it, I was a little disappointed when it disappeared originally but bringing back individual stats would be much appreciated. My lack of reviewing lately is more reflective of my schedule rather than the state of the website. I assume the stats will eventually emerge as part of the profile page much like the previous site. I like this new single site action though...looks like a coherent thought again rather than two disconnected things. Hopefully this year we will see a relaunch of the new and improved beeradvocate with and iPhone app (that again I would pay for) that makes using and browsing this great website easy and fun.
  34. draheim

Totally agree on the stats—the more ways to slice & dice the data the better. To me beer karma is a nice, completely meaningless incentive to contribute to the site—although I review every "new to me" beer anyway.
    papat444 and beertunes like this.
  35. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

I'm a stats/lists kind of guy, so these will be very welcome when they return. The karma points are fun but also serve a purpose as far as recognizing a user who's "been around" a while vs. someone who just created their account yesterday. That can be handy to know when reading someone's advice, setting up a trade, etc. I know there are other ways to gauge those, but karma status was a very quick visual aid for that.
    Jimmys, flexabull, smakawhat and 3 others like this.
  36. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Just logged in today to find this and I'm exciting to start reviewing beer again! The multiple tab thing threw me off. Great work!!!!
  37. Could not have said it better...
    sommersb likes this.
  38. The new formatting and layout is looking and getting better by the day. Diggin' it.
  39. Yeah... Now this I like!!