Update: Wants & Gots pages are back

Blog Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The Wants & Gots (Beer Trading) Pages are now working again. I was hoping to have this done by last Sunday, but had to bump it a week. Apologies for the delay.

So what does this mean? It's going to be a bit easier to beer trade.

Go to any beer profile page. Look to the right hand column. Click on Wants or Gots links for the beer; following the total numbers of Wants and Gots.

Example:
    1. Go to Heady Topper: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814
    2. Clicking Wants will take you to: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/trade/16814/?view=W
    And here's what you'll find:
    • View all users who Want or Got; this was limited to up to 100 users previously.
    • Added last active column.
    • All columns are now sortable ascending or descending; BA name, (last) Active, Joined (BA), Added (to their list).
    • Defaults to sorting by last active.
    • Added quick link (mail icon) to start a conversation with users who have logged-in within the last 48 hours.
    • Clicking the W or G in the View column will take you to that user's Wants or Gots.
    • Pages are now public.
    And just before I posted this I decided to add:
    • Checkboxes like the ones on the beer profile pages to allow the ability to quickly add or remove the beer from your Wants and Gots; right hand nav.
    • Quick links to your other Wants and Gots; right hand nav.
    I'm also looking at:
    • Auto-purging Wants and Gots from inactive users; to be determined, but it would be after a long period of not using the site.
    Please note that this is an interim fix of sorts. And we're holding off on adding any form of matching on Wants and Gots, and a lot of other stuff, as all of this will be redesigned with the rest of the site.

Feedback? Issues? Let me know.

In the meantime, I hope this makes beer trading a bit easier.

Cheers!

2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

That's freaking awesome!

3. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I used those lists as prime tools, and highly recommend doing the same to all other BA's. Thanks for getting it back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. brentk56

brentk56 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,013) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Very much appreciate the update. I am noticing that in some cases, the Added date is much more recent than the last Active date. There clearly seems to be a bug in the Active date when the beer was added in the last month but the user hasn't logged in for six months, for example.

5. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,988) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What would be awesome is an automated way of matching wants and gots. So, if I wanted Heady Topper, a way for me to only see people who have Heady Topper and have a want that is on my gots.

CBlack85 likes this.
  6. korguy123

korguy123 Maven (1,403) May 17, 2008 Canada (ON)

Excellent improvement! Thanks again for the continuous hard work!

7. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. Todd

Yeah. I noticed that too. It's not so much a bug, but rather the way the forum handles tracking last activity and the fact that we currently don't sync with it's method for updating that user field with the non-forum portion of the site.

Basically, if you see a user who's last active date is less than a Wants or Gots added date it means that they haven't used performed an action in the forum that would trigger their activity being updated.

I'm looking at solutions.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I very much like this.

10. Todd

Thanks. As soon as I wrapped up the Wants/Gots pages I took some time to hook the new avatars into the non-forum pages of the site. I plan on doing a bit more with it, but not too much given the site redesign.

It definitely brings some personality back to the non-form pages.

Rempo, libbey, cosmicevan and 3 others like this.
  11. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

It looks like you also put our avatars next to reviews and on our beers/places pages.

cavedave and Bitterbill like this.
  12. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Nice. It does look good. I think we need to purge inactive users in general. I see accounts that were established in 2008 and have not been active since 2009 or worse.

13. Todd

Just before switching to the new forum we purged all users who hadn't logged in for 2+ years, which would mean a least active user date of around Feb 22, 2010.

Anyway, I'm referencing purging Wants/Gots. Not users.

2beerdogs likes this.
  14. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Cool. Thanks.

15. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Ohio

16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Trader

This is awesome. Thanks so much!!! Great to see all our goofy avatars on review pages (and even on profiles for wants/gots/reviews). Nice job...keep up the great work. We all owe ya a beer!

17. Archemedies

Archemedies Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Real happy to see this back. I was wondering if you had any plan to restore users locations (just states and countries) next to the review that they wrote? It was always cool seeing how certain beers made it around the country/globe knowing they were not distributed there.

UncleJimbo and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Maven (1,426) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

Will getting to a fellow BA's Wants/Gots eventually be a link from their/our own profile page?

VABA likes this.
  19. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You guys ROCK!!! Please DO NOT apologize.

20. jpmclaug

jpmclaug Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 South Carolina

Any chance that the avatars are now back up on the review page that we could also get the location of the posters back up on there?

UncleJimbo and TheSevenDuffs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.