Updates on Rock Bottom, Minneapolis

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by keaton, Apr 9, 2014.

1. keaton

keaton Aficionado (210) California Jul 25, 2004

No one has reviewed this place on BA in years and I'm wondering if they have a better brewer or if the brewer got better. Yelp reviews complain about service, but not seeing much about the beer. Thanks for any updates!

2. They did a templeton rye barrel aged rye wine. Soooo good.

3. bergbrew

bergbrew Savant (270) Minnesota Jan 12, 2004

Since three of their brewers in the past 10 some years have been Todd from Surly, Bryon from Bent Paddle, and Bob from Sherlock's Home, it seems incredible that their beer was ever accurately portrayed by reviews. Unless those brewers suddenly got better, or the reviews are biased against a chain.

fantome, ZAP and FurnaceCowgirl like this.
  4. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Yep. Someone, possibly you, threw that out in the 'On Tap' thread and I thank you or them. That shit was righteous.

mothman likes this.
  5. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Any idea who the brewer was when I reviewed this one.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1550/20587/?ba=ZAP

I used to be down there for the state BB tournaments for a stretch there but haven't gotten over in a couple three years now. I have no idea how they are now but I have four growlers I used to fill back in the day. Considered them on par with Town Hall at the time and prices on growlers were real fair.

6. Yeah, that was me. Such a hidden gem.

7. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I go about once a month. The new brewer came up from the Des Moines RB after Pio went to The Freehouse. Beer is as good as ever.

8. I was there last night before a concert. Had everything and was very underwhelmed until I had their barrel reserve doppelbock, which I would have sworn was a barleywine. I thought that was very, very good.

9. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Rock Bottom's beer has always been underrated in my eyes. We used to stop there before Twins games (before Fulton opened up, much more often!) & the beer was always someplace between good & excellent. If we went downtown more, or if it was closer to where I lived, I'd definitely stop in more often.

10. igor

igor Aficionado (220) Minnesota Nov 7, 2009

I work DT but don't get over there much because no one from work wants to go there. Anyway I bought the certificates that someone posted here from ESPN 1500 so I'll be checking it out again a few times soon. I've always liked their stuff especially the special beers they do. They also have pretty good deals on HH food.

11. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Eric Sorensen, the brewer at RB in Des Moines, makes some of the best beers in the state if you ask me. Especially sours.

12. ballenc

ballenc Savant (285) Minnesota Sep 17, 2006

Really miss the Angry Hippie IPA that Bryon Tonnis used to brew...loved that stuff.

13. ZAP

I'd really like to know who the brewer was in 2005 if anyone knows that?

14. bergbrew

bergbrew Savant (270) Minnesota Jan 12, 2004

In 2005 or 2009? Although I think both were Bryon

15. ZAP

Yeah that is confusing. I must have updated it for some reason in 2009 but I remember being high on that beer from way back so I would guess 2005 is the brunt of that review.

16. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

They must get enough beer heads going there, because from the point that you posted about this in the "what's on tap" thread; it was gone just a few days later, when I called to confirm.

17. Bummer man. It was a treat. I do like that the normally have a barrel aged beer on tap at all times.