1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Upland to Release Limited Quantity of Sour Reserve

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Todd, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,625) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Upland to Release Limited Quantity of Sour Reserve to Celebrate GABF Gold Medal

We don’t make beers with the intention of winning medals; we make the kind of beers we and our fans like to drink. But we don’t mind getting a pat on the back, like the one of our Sour Reserve Blend #2 got when it won a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival over the weekend.

And we weren’t the only ones. We want to say congratulations to all the other Indiana breweries who took home shiny souvenirs!

So how can we celebrate this good news? Well, we’ve been holding back a few cases of our Sour Reserve Blend #2, and if ever there was a time for a special release, this is it! We have about 36 bottles at our Indy Tasting Room and 48 bottles at our Bloomington Brew Pub. When these locations open for business (11am for the Bloomington Brew Pub and noon for the Indy Tasting Room) this Saturday, October 20th, you’ll get your chance to take home a bottle.

Each bottle will be $25 plus tax, and there is a limit of one bottle per person. (No, you can’t pick up an extra bottle for your friend who lives out of town, and no, we don’t care that your wife really wants a bottle, but she’s busy giving birth to your firstborn child.) It’s first come first served, so get there early!

About the Beer
    Our Sour Reserve is inspired by the breweries of Belgium, which for hundreds of years have blended together different batches of unfruited lambic to make a style known as Gueuze. Inspired by this tradition, head brewery Caleb Staton has been blending together his favorite batches of our own lambic-style beer into a single barrel to create a unique combination of flavors and aromas that can never be replicated.

http://uplandbeer.com

###

adamhdv, LieutenantSour and MaxSpang like this.
  2. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Savant (340) Indiana Aug 5, 2012

Will be there to snag a bottle!

3. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

nothin' to see here, folks. let's pretend we're in Kalamazoo and let the locals take a swing

raymo55, JohnB87, decadance and 3 others like this.
  4. psykosis

psykosis Savant (370) Indiana May 21, 2009

want. that's a crazy small bottle count though...

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

You have to earn that.

Keeping the entire state of Michigan quiet definitely earns it.

raymo55, decadance and yeahnatenelson like this.
  6. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Which one do you think will last longer? Going to try to hit both.

claaark13 likes this.
  7. Really? I'm guessing that if you're not in line before dawn at either location you're SOL.

8. Rempo

claaark13 likes this.
  9. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

If I show up tomorrow at 4pm and I'm the 49th person in line and the husband/wife in front of me are like "Yea, we're getting a Mimosa + a High Five", I'm going to be pissed.

10. Lulz. I'm *this* close to driving down to central IN Friday night to make this happen. Which location are you going to?

11. Rempo

I wish it were Friday night already as well.

MarkIntihar and claaark13 like this.
  12. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

The one in Iowa.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  13. lurchingbeast

Rempo likes this.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Not a chance. ;)

Just far NW and SW corners are Central

15. lurchingbeast

That's because we're going to annex Munster soon.

16. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I'm already in line nerds.

Seriously considering this one since I missed out on the lottery...even with my entire family tree of fake e-mail addresses.

17. And let's face it, it's because no one wants the so-called "Region" or Evansville. Anyone who is actually from Indiana but tells people they're from Chicago...wow.

18. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Absolutely love this. After seeing some of the other local breweries neglect the locals it is awesome. Hopefully we see more of this in the future and a sincere congrats to Upland on their well deserved win!

ehammond1 likes this.
  19. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

The potential for a concentrated storm of butt-hurt posts this Saturday afternoon is abnormally high, isn't it?

CWBlues likes this.
  20. MordorMongo

Not sure why anyone would get butthurt, they flat out state 36 bottles in Indy, 48 in Bloomington so the vast majority just won't get any. I do however forsee at least one altercation at each location when someone tries to float a buddy into line.

21. denimdemon

While I don't disagree with that assessment - they were forthright about the number of bottles - those e-mails go out to thousands of people and not just BAs. Everyone that's reserved a bottle in the past, signed up for the list in the o.g. pub or the Tasting Room, bought tickets for one of their events...

And maybe any backlash would be just the disbelief of the locals that don't know the BA "We gotta tailgate this mofo at 5:30 a.m.! Will the dry cleaners next door open up their doors so we can bottle share? No?! What about Little Caesars?! Well is IMPD at least cool with us drankin' on the corner?" mentality of "bottle releases" now (and I'd argue this hardly qualifies as a "bottle release," but...), and that disbelief and/or negativity will be solely expressed to Upland/employees themselves and not on these here Internets. But I dunno. I'll be pleasantly surprised if no one complains of "some dudes from Illinois/Ohio/Michigan/Uranus/Myanus/etc" taking away from the "locals that support Upland year-round."

But sure, the rules of the game have been laid out fairly and squarely. And I'm morbidly curious as to how early the first person will show up...and what time #36 gets in line that will claim the last bottle. Curious enough to drive by Saturday morning? Maybe...

22. MordorMongo

We are in line right now bro, me and 35 homeless dudes I am paying with cans of chili and songs from the heart. I told them each I'd buy them a bottle of Thunderbird once we get these bottles. ;)

23. denimdemon

Thunderbird bottle share at Little Caesar's, 1 p.m. Saturday.

24. MordorMongo

Where the fuck are you losers at? I assumed 8am and I would 37th in line. You all have failed and let me down. Fucking amateurs!

SatlyMalty and Dontcounttoday like this.
  25. Are you first?

26. MordorMongo

5th, technically, but I know everyone here so it could be argued I am also first.

27. You must not have seen the email this am. Only four bottles now at each location.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  28. MordorMongo

that's ok I think I can take one of these guys.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  29. MordorMongo

Besides, 33 people here now.

30. denimdemon

Still pissed the Little Caeser's manager told me to "scram" when I went across the street earlier and asked if it was OK for "me and my friends over there to come in and have a Champagne Jam and some $5 Hot 'n Readies." I know they aren't open yet, but that was a dick move.

31. MordorMongo

36 now, rest of you fuckers can stay home. Cheers!

32. denimdemon

keepstandingthereandpickitupformebro

33. MordorMongo

You are missing all the fun. Being mocked by Broad Rippleans as they drive by is a good time.

34. denimdemon

Waiting until I know for sure I can't get it, then coming down there for a self-fulfilling BA cryass on this board this afternoon. And you guys thought I wasn't prescient.

35. fvernon

any word on how quickly bloomington's line filled up?

36. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Just want I want to see early Saturday morning at work: Mordor live-blogging the Sour Reserve line :rolleyes:

claaark13 and MordorMongo like this.
  37. Gritsak

Gritsak Savant (385) West Virginia Jan 22, 2004

I drove by about 35min ago and there were only a few people in line. My beer budget took a big hit from BCBS, otherwise i would have jumped in line.

fvernon likes this.
  38. fvernon

hmmm... i may stop by around 10:30ish just to see. my budget's shot, too - but if it looks like they'll be available that close to go-time, i may grab one anyway

39. MordorMongo

If you would like I can dumb it down for you? ;)

Oh wait, I do that by nature anyway.

Etan likes this.