Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

Upland to Release Limited Quantity of Sour Reserve

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Todd, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Etan

Etan Champion (765) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Just make sure to update us on when you take your pee break, and what kind of soap is in the bathroom.

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Bathrooms??? Hahahaha that's a good one man!

yeahnatenelson, CWBlues and Etan like this.
  3. fvernon

fvernon Savant (380) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

In line @ 10:40 and only #15? Slow morning in Bloomington

4. fvernon

Whoa on the surprise reservation for the next sour release... Well played, upland

5. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Advocate (710) Illinois Feb 8, 2010 Beer Trader

So what is it, Persimmon? :cool:

6. fvernon

i just sadded. why must you bring me down at the apex of my passions?

7. yeahnatenelson

Bloomington sold out, Indy still waiting to open doors.

...Wait, why am I the one live-blogging this???

8. yeahnatenelson

I, too, have a reservation I'll never be able to get fulfilled... But that's in the past now. What's the new reservation?

9. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (375) Indiana May 4, 2011 Beer Trader

Indy's officially handed out 36 numbers.

10. jonallan

jonallan Aficionado (130) Indiana Apr 27, 2012

Indy doors about to open. Already passed out #36.

11. fvernon

unknown- they didn't announce the style, but said that it'd be within the next year... a bit behind, because of the brewery work down here and the 4 new brews they're trying to get up and running. fingers crossed for persimmon or kiwi, obviously! we had a good persimmon crop down here this fall, so they should have gotten plenty to work with...

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  12. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (600) Indiana Mar 31, 2010 Beer Trader

I was under the impression the reservation was for SR Batch 3, but I may have misunderstood her. Showed up at 10:20 and was #12. Line was only up to about 40 when I left.

13. Ticket 48 in Bloomington went at 11:16am. Nice and mellow morning.
    The reservations are for the next lambic release (not specified when or what) according to staff.

fvernon likes this.
  14. MordorMongo

Kudos to Upland, awesome to throw in the next reservation, a free glass and for providing donuts and coffee, seriously top notch. Excellent way to reward your locals & fanatics!

Oh and yeah the Indy line topped 36 cut off at maybe 11:40 or so.

Shagtastic, Zapy, denimdemon and 5 others like this.
  15. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (455) Indiana Mar 8, 2009 Beer Trader

Yeah, was going to say the same thing. My eternal cynicism for the current state of .rar wales warz was sated by an outpouring of motherfucking NICE. I was caught off guard and nearly had to just, like, leave, man. But then it was like, "screw it," so I stuck around for a pint and some good conversation. Thanks to Cari and the ladies of the Tasting Room, this was a really nice Saturday morning. Also, another aside, the Harvest Ale is a delicious. Nice meeting the people I hadn't met, MordorMongo included.

Zapy, Rempo and MordorMongo like this.
  16. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (380) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

As the others have said, this whole deal was very nice, cool people, free glass, reservation, donuts wow! Thanks a ton Upland!

Rempo and MordorMongo like this.
  17. yeahnatenelson

What kind of glass? Pint, taster, or something new?

18. MordorMongo

Oh sorry, nothing special for event or anything, just standard pint.

19. yeahnatenelson

Still, good on Upland for making it worth the trip and the wait.

MordorMongo likes this.
  20. MordorMongo

Yes, couldn't agree more, everything was smooth and fun and they made the wait worth it. Things like that may seem trivial to some but in today's zany release world it was nice for a brewery to show genuine appreciation for people crazy enough to line up in 40 degree weather hours before they open for their beer.

libbey, CWBlues, Rempo and 1 other person like this.
  21. Rempo

Rempo Advocate (625) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Great release. In addition to everything mentioned, stragglers in Indy (past 11:40) got to reserve the next release as well.

22. StargazerC

StargazerC Aficionado (215) Indiana Apr 15, 2008

Thanks to everyone who came out, both in Indy and Bloomington. It was nice chatting with everyone in line. I enjoyed talking with everyone, and I'm glad you appreciated the donuts. Thanks, too, for sticking around and having some beers. I hope you enjoyed our newest releases Little Sebastian ESB, Harvest Ale, and Teddy Bear Kisses Imperial Stout.

Cheers to next time!

Cari Crowe

duels, myersk27, Shagtastic and 7 others like this.
  23. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (495) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011 Beer Trader

Made the trip up there from Louisville. What a nice drive. I was number 26. My friend was 41. We got in, got our bottles and glasses and drove back. I was nervous when we pulled up at 10:40 and saw a line. I'm super excited I was able to get one. Thanks Upland!

24. Zapy

Zapy Aficionado (170) Indiana Feb 8, 2012 Beer Trader

I think Upland handled this perfectly. Having a bathroom open early would have been awesome but other than that this was pretty great.

25. adamhdv

adamhdv Aficionado (150) Indiana Dec 21, 2008

Agreed. The surprise reservation and free glass was a unexpected and nice touch. Thanks again, Upland!

Lukafer likes this.
  26. HopsMatt

How is it that I stand in line at these releases and I never know the other BAs there until I get home and read about it? We need name tags or something.

cosmonick likes this.
  27. yeahnatenelson

Who needs nametags?

28. HopsMatt

Funny hats? Gang signs?

Seriously though, I dont approach strangers on a regular basis. Just saying. I stood behind a guy that had no idea what he was talking about and the guy behind me was talking about how he had recently enjoyed a bottle of Love Child that was brewed by Schlafly...

Just sayin. I want to find my people at these things ;)

comefindmebro

duels and CWBlues like this.
  29. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Coming from Louisville to Indianapolis might make it difficult to know the locals, but I haven't gone to a beer release event in a few years now where I didn't know a bunch of folks around me.

I would say its easier at events where folks are drinking in line as walking up and introducing oneself with a pour of beer always seems to work.

Keep an eye out for the overweight bearded folks with glasses, there are a lot of us out there ;)

Cheers!

HopsMatt likes this.
  30. HopsMatt

This is all true. I ended up at the Bloomington location. I know its a big college town there, but I was sure there were a few BAs there. I just didnt know where. I also needed to be back home by about 2 so I couldnt hang around for long. Of course, I could have just sounded off ;)

Oh, and thanks to Upland for giving us the ability to sign up for the next release. That was pretty awesome too.

31. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (375) Indiana May 4, 2011 Beer Trader

Agree for sure. This was a VERY pleasant surprise.

32. Rempo

Rempo Advocate (625) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Next time, bring a refilled and recapped empty whale bottle. Place it on the sidewalk across the street in full view. The BAs in the crowd will be drawn to it like moths to a flame. Bonus points if you glue it to the sidewalk.

33. Lukafer

My three rules on recognizing BA's at releases. 1.If you go to a beer release, everyone at the front is a BA, and there will probably be a lot of other BA's there. 2. If you go to a beer release early, everyone there will be a BA, and there will definitely be a lot of BA's there later. 3. If you go to a limited beer release of a relatively unkown brewery that is releasing 36 bottles, they're all BA's, except for the people that show up 15 minutes prior to release.

Finding BA's is easy, if those three rules don't work, look for a lot of dudes, a lot of beer, beer garb (kinda like gang colors), beer guts, beards, wizards, guys who look like they still collect Pokemon, and food, BA's come prepared!

claaark13 likes this.
  34. Lukafer

This was a reply to HopsMatt

35. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (455) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

The three B's (Bald, Beard, Belly) are likely identifiers, but Cantillon shirt = 100% probability that wearer is a BA

Lukafer and claaark13 like this.